New
Find
Notify
Tools

US dollar and Zimbabwe?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is of academic interest only for me, as I am booked for 2015 1nd 2016.
It occurred to me that with the US dollar strengthening the way it has, Zim may lose its status as the cheaper destination since everything there is dollar denominated. Might other destinations gain a relative advantage because of this? Have prices in, say, Zambia or Tanzania become more competitive with Zim because of this?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Admittedly, I have not watched prices in every country on a regular basis, but from what I have followed, I have never seen prices drop anywhere, even when that country's currency dropped significantly against the dollar.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
The only drop we see in Africa is when world economy puts damper on money making
Us hunters stay away and voila, prices come down some
It don't take much to bring it back up quick and some
Thanks to African governments that just use it as a cash cow

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Currency fluctuations don't seem to change the prices of hunts because as the dollar becomes stronger, more Americans book hunts so the outfitters have no reason to lower prices. (Demand is high)

The only times prices seem to lower is when outfitters see a lot of open dates in their booking calendars.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12625 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The vast majority of safari clients are from the USA. The economy is doing pretty well here, at least for those that can afford a safari.
Supply and demand I believe will drive the prices, not currency.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2645 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cost to hunt in Africa is strictly based on supply and demand. While outfitters from yesterday used to make excuses about rising operating and fuel costs as the reason for rate increases, today, pricing is simply set at what the market will tolerate.

Americans are not hagglers, but if you were the exception, you would be surprised what you can negotiate...

coffee

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am the proud owner of a 100 trillion dollar Zimbabwe bill for just $10.00 US. Probably paid too much for it at the Harare airport.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen the price go down based on the strength of the dollar.

Posts: 10207 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The operators have huge costs, everything in Zim is on the US buck. Along with that everything is imported and the gouging of the locals is a result. Fuel is expensive, great distances are required to hunting areas. The government charges the hell out of them for the concessions. Vehicles and parts are atrocious due to duty and taxes.They have a part of the year season but have to maintain camps and such year round. They come to the US to sell hunts, this is not free. That is why hunting is expensive. They are supposed to make a living on top of all that

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had any complaint with the actual hunt costs really. But the complete package is continuing to increase in cost.

But the other associated costs, while always being on the higher side, have found a way to go up even more. Things like air fares. Then hotel prices especially in places like Zim should not be $500 a day per person, and a variety of the other costs that you see batted around here are way up. Of course I remember the buffalo trophy fee being $1000 too.

One of the things that irritates me considerably is the so called green or eco-friendly pricing related issue that gets presented a lot. When you see this it generally means it is going to be even more expensive, and it takes everything else with green in it up in green. It is no more or only slightly more green that it ever was in most instances. It is hard to believe that so called nature guys and gals with backpack and sandals created this. I had sent an email to a couple of highly regarded lodges for my famiy trip and got quoted some truly expensive prices.

There are ways we could do it for less, especially if it is just a single hunter or two guys, but with my family along that changes the total trip.

As was said here the costs have never gone down any as a result of currency valuations and exchange.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Many places in Zim will take RSA Rand as well as currency from Botswana. I have not been able to use any of my credit cards in Zim. Have any of you had any luck with this.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Cabelas card doesn't work in Zimbabwe, but the Visa debit card for my brokerage account does.
Zimbabwe is on a list of naughty countries which some banks
Consider "no man's land."

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
When I was at Vic Falls with my bother last Oct, he was using Botswana Pula.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11071 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote