THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Handgun hunting on TV show, why not?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handgun hunting on TV show, why not?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'd like to see some of the Africa hunting TV shows do some handgun hunting. Anyone and everyone takes a rifle over and hunts but no one is shown taking any sort of game with a handgun. I realize that it might restrict the show somewhat to the countries that allow handguns but it'd sure be something out of the ordinary.

I've been to RSA only once, w/ the second trip coming up in 5 days, and used a couple of handguns for all but one of the plains game on my hunt, the exception being the Greater Kudu. My handguns were a T/C Encore in .308 Win. and a Ruger in .480 Ruger.

I just get tired of the hunters pulling up from several hundred yards away where they could stalk within handgun range, or pull out some classic big-bore double, where it might be more of a show if a large bore handgun is brought to bear instead.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too. For sure the number of countries would be restricted. I took my SA Kudu at 260 yards and Black Wildebeest at 225 yards though. Crawled as much as I could take. Both very sharp animals and don't put up with much nonsense. The Gemsbok and Blesbok were much closer shots. All done in with one shot each using a 378GNR custom Encore with a 13" heavy barrel. There are a number of great handgunners that would be happy to be sponsored for a show series..several right here on AR....even I would volunteer for it Smiler

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

And by handguns, I mean actual handguns and not stockless rifles. I'd also like to see one with only guns or replicas of guns used from the 19th century used......without modern optic dodads attached. Tony Makris does that to some extent, but I'd like to see a show fully dedicated to it.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count me in. I love to handgun hunt. From the .22 to the .500 Smith and several XP-100's in between. Lets get some sponsors and get busy!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I watched a show (Under Wild Skies?) a while back where he took an elephant, frontal brain with a pistol. Good Show!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:And by handguns, I mean actual handguns and not stockless rifles. I'd also like to see one with only guns or replicas of guns used from the 19th century used......without modern optic dodads attached. Tony Makris does that to some extent, but I'd like to see a show fully dedicated to it.

One possible fly in your ointment would be the fact that African countries don't let in handguns meant for self defense; only hunting handguns are allowed. This means that if it doesn't have a scope and a long barrel they may not let it in.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One possible fly in your ointment would be the fact that African countries don't let in handguns meant for self defense; only hunting handguns are allowed. This means that if it doesn't have a scope and a long barrel they may not let it in.

Well I guess that takes care of that.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
quote:

Well I guess that takes care of that.

Grumulkin said it and he is right and only beat me to saying the same thing! I too love to hunt with handguns and like you I like real handguns not short rifles. I have one TC Contender with two barrels, both scoped. One is a re-chambered super 14, 41 Rem Mag barrel re-chambered to .411 JDJ, with an added permanently mounted muzzle brake, to make it legal so it can be used with a rifle stock, and a 10 inch bull barel chambered for .223 .

The 411JDJ would be allowed in RSA for hunting anything there, but in Zimbabwe you need a special permit to hunt any of the big five with any handgun. To me it is not worth the trouble, and cost to hunt Africa with a handgun. Others may do as it suits! I never go to Africa to hunt only plains game, that stuff is filler on safaris for dangerous game. When real African game is on the ticket I have proper firearms that are far better for the purpose, like a couple of double rifles.

I believe it is not a profitable undertaking to do a real all handgun African hunting film. With all the regulations involved, added to the fact that the film would have such a low volume of sales in the African hunting film market it would be on the close out sale forever. This because a very large percentage of people who hut Africa are the consumers of the films made about that hunting, and presious few of them are handgun hunters.

I hunt with handguns for all North American game from jack rabbits to Brown bear, and that is where films like this will sell, because IMO a full 90 % of handgun hunters will never even see Africa, so their interest is North American game with a handgun. As I said I love to hunt with a handgun but I have zero interest in hunting in Africa with a handgun, and most hand-guners are more interested in Hogs deer or Moose, with maybe black bear on bait. In the final analysis I don’t think a handgun film in Africa would sell. You might put together a group hunt with some one in RSA to hunt a lot of plains game and go together to have it filmed, and market it as a group effort! Who knows it might do well sold in the USA in gun stores and gun shows, but I doubt any TV is going to pick it up. I hope for you that I prove to be wrong!

Even though I’m a handgun hunter I wouldn’t buy a film on Handgun hunting in Africa. I would buy one made in North America, and like one poster above, I get real tired of the the hand RIFLES people call handguns! I own 24 handguns and only the TC two barrel set with only one barrel that could be considered a hand RIFLE is the only one I own that I never shoot. I hunt with all the rest even my self defense handguns!
................................................................................. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
You are absolutely right. I do however have a good DVD of Lynn Thompson (Cold Steel) hunting a bunch of pigs and buffalo with a standard Redhawk in Australia. He also used a rifle some, but a lot of the hunting was done with the handgun and factory 300 grain ammo from Hornady. Very impressive and looked like he had a blast.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
Mac,
You are absolutely right. I do however have a good DVD of Lynn Thompson (Cold Steel) hunting a bunch of pigs and buffalo with a standard Redhawk in Australia. He also used a rifle some, but a lot of the hunting was done with the handgun and factory 300 grain ammo from Hornady. Very impressive and looked like he had a blast.

I have the same DVD and you are right, his shooting is very impressive.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:And by handguns, I mean actual handguns and not stockless rifles. I'd also like to see one with only guns or replicas of guns used from the 19th century used......without modern optic dodads attached. Tony Makris does that to some extent, but I'd like to see a show fully dedicated to it.

I suppose 7.5" could be considered a long barrel but had no problem getting my Ruger SRH in RSA. Yes, I had a scope for use on it in the case but wasn't ever mounted on the gun even while going through SAP.

Others complain about "stockless" rifles but one still only will have two points of contact with the gun vs. three on a rifle thus still puts stalking, a steady rest, trigger control, and follow-through at a premium.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote