New
Find
Notify
Tools

Permanone Did I use too much?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a couple of cans of Permanone insect repllant at Walmart. Each can is 6 oz Net weight. The directions sayslect a well ventilated outdoor area protected from wind and lay out a omplete outfit Shirt pants and socks
Hold container upright about 6 to 8 inches form surface of the clothing and spry with a slow sweeping motion to lightly mositen the surface of the fabrick.
Continue spraying over entire outfit until a total treatment of 60 seconds has elapsed and the outer surface of the fabrick is mosit enought ot show a slight color change or darkening. Pay special attention to sock, trouser cuffs, and shirt cuffs.
Turn the clothing over and repaet stesp on the other side.
Hang up clothing to dry for at least 2 hours before wearing.
Three ounces will treat one complete outfit.
Do not exceed recomended spraying times.

Well, I got two of my old cotton camo shirts sprayed to the point of darkening the material and it took a whole 6 ounce can. Not being able to spray and keep time I have no idea how long it took to achieve the darkened appearance mentioned. Has anybody on the forum used this stuff?
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I've used it, and love the stuff.

You may have put it on a bit thick, but I've never had any problems from it. Pay particular attention to cuffs and beltlines in tick country.

The only thing you will notice is that the bugs won't land on 'em.

I think the stuff lasts several washings, but will not last 6 weeks being washed every other day.

I've had good results using garlic pills for mosquitos. Anybody tried 'em on tsetse flies?

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the stuff the last two years in Tanzania...it works or at least the tsetses did not seem to bother me as much as others....

I think the directions say the stuff will last 3 weeks...I would not head into tsetse country without that stuff!!!! as well as a few other protections

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the stuff works well on ticks. You used way more then you had too. I just lightly spray my stuff and it works well.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
You don't want to soak the garment so much that it comes through the opposite side.

In other words. You definately don't want the permanone treated side of the garment against your skin. When bugs do land on a treated garment they die. Get the picture? It's not really a repellent it is a very strong fast acting poison. Use it wrong and it absolutely can make you sick.

Also take note that things like chiggers and ticks will happily crawl under treated garments if they have an untreated path to take. IE. Pants cuffs or a jacket waist line if you sit down. Tucking in your jacket (or securing the drawstring tightly) and taping your cuffs to your boots with camo duct tape really really helps.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry forgot to add...I used 4 6oz. cans to spray down 3 sets shirts, jeans, socks, etc...better safe than sorry in tsetse country...I sprayed the stuff until the clothes turn color...like you described but not soaked through and through...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3 6oz cans for 3 outfits, 6 pairs of socks, gaitors, and a real strong dose on the tops and inside(upper) of my hunting shoes. I was at a farm in Loiusiana a couple of weeks ago. Noticed on my hosts house a system of tubing and nozzles around the eves. He told me it was a misting system to deter insects which it did to great effect. He showd me the concentrate and it was Permethion based. I've used it the last three trips and am a big fan of the stuff.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took some along to Zim in Oct. and ended up spraying the mosquito netting on the bed with it also. Those thing nearly drove me crazy at night until I did.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
I've used it, and love the stuff.

You may have put it on a bit thick, but I've never had any problems from it. Pay particular attention to cuffs and beltlines in tick country.

The only thing you will notice is that the bugs won't land on 'em.

I think the stuff lasts several washings, but will not last 6 weeks being washed every other day.

I've had good results using garlic pills for mosquitos. Anybody tried 'em on tsetse flies?

If you WANT to get bit by mosquito's Eat bananas
otherwise avoid eating them in mosquito season and areas.

Garlic does repel Mosquito's, don't know about flies.
Eating Liver also makes mosquito's avoid you and land on someone else.
If you don't eat liver healthfood store dessicated liver tablets work almost as well.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
I used the spray on my pants and boots while in South Africa. No ticks on me while there. Guy there before us was not so lucky or so the PH told us.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Rich the amount on the can will not go as far as they say..
I dry my clothes and then roll them and pack in oversize plastic zip bags.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
If you want an inexpensive spray, go to a farm store and buy permethrin. You'll have to dilute it so that you get a 5% solution. Use an empty spray bottle, mix the stuff, then spray like the expensive stuff. Works great.
My daughter owns a feed store and started me using permethrin. Just taking care of Daddy.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
prof242,

I will definitely have to check that out!

This is worthy of being added to Terry's Tricks!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, guys. I didn't use so much as to soak the shirts all the way through. I guess they must be ready to pack. thumb
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, A couple things to consider when using this product. I have used, recommended and written a few magazine articles about it. I researched this for a long time before writing them. The best system I have found to use for applying this is to spread out a bead sheet on the floor of your garage. Then lay all the clothes out you intend to process. Socks pants and shirts being the most important. Once layed out on this clean bead sheet you can begin to spray them.

I prefer to use the concentrate not the aerosol. With the concentrate I mix a batch into my two gallon garden pump spray bottle. I also always wear rubber or latex exam gloves.

Then spray the clothes until they are soaked pretty good. Leave them for about 1/2 hour then turn over and do the same to the other side. Once this is done hang them up to air dry, over night is usually good.

Once dry pack them into black plastic lawn and leaf bags. Although the clothing will handle 2-3 washings with soap, the permanone will break down in bright ultra violt light. We all know that is very common in Africa so to get the most out of the treatment I like to have them kept in the dark while I'm not using them.

The application method I have described is so effective that quite often when I go back out to process the second load on the sheet, there are dead bugs on it from landing or crawling onto that sheet.

The main part of the clothing is less vital to soak good then the edges. The elastic on your socks is critical, the waist band and cuffs of the pants, and the edges of your shirts especially the outside of the collar. This chemical is not good to touch when wet. It's poison and can be detected in Urine after human contact within hours. Avoid the wet state of this product!

Once dry it's harmless to a human and will not be absorbed by the skin. I have asked about the rehydration of the product from sweat and was told it's not an issue. Rehydrating it from sweat in your clothing is not detected in the body or the urine.

The two things that were most enlightening about the two types of repelents to me were that bug spray with Deet is absolutely worthless on clothing as it's sole design is to block the scent receptors on insects as a human being gives off human odor. Clothing does not give off this odor or vapor. I have seen Countless people spray clothing with bug repelent and it's a waste of time. The same can be said for Permanone. it's worthless(possibly dangerous) on human skin but will kill insects that crawl on the clothing it's been applied to. Each product must be used as designed to get the desired results.

Lastly where bug repelent is concerned. Deet in any concentration above 40-50% has gone beyond the point of diminishing returns. Most guys think that if 20% is good then 100% must be killer! Well it's not the case with deet. 40% or so in a cream or lotion base is the best you can get. It's not absorbed readily by the body in this base. Aerosol is the worst as it's base evaporates and will only allow protection for a couple hours at the most. The oil base is excellent for longevity but this base allows the body to absorb the product which is not good for you.

The lotion base is clearly the most comfortable, and the safest to use. It's also the longest lasting and provides the typical 40% deet content which is plenty. I have been using the sawyer bug dope for about 5 years now and never had any serious issues with bugs. I strongly recomend this brand this to all my hunters.

Hope this helps a little

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hope this helps a little

Actually, it helps a lot!
Thanks,
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJHACK:

I prefer to use the concentrate not the aerosol. With the concentrate I mix a batch into my two gallon garden pump spray bottle. I also always wear rubber or latex exam gloves.

Where do you get the concentrate?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More important where do you find a "bead sheet" I swear if I could type I would be dangerous! I just can't freaking believe how much I can screw up a simple bit of typing!

Here is a link. You may find this cheaper but I know they have it

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page20.html

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Thanks....I whish this site had a spell check feature too!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Look in the phone book for your nearest farm and ranch store, or feed store. They carry the product as a way to keep bugs from biting horses and other livestock. You can also do a search on the web for uses around the home.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a product called "Insectaban" which is commercial insectaside meant for controlling insects in buildings...It says the active ingredient is "Permethrin .23% w/w"

Is this the stuff and does this concentration sound strong enough?

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJHACK:
More important where do you find a "bead sheet" I swear if I could type I would be dangerous! I just can't freaking believe how much I can screw up a simple bit of typing!

Here is a link. You may find this cheaper but I know they have it

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page20.html

JJHACK

So did you mean "bed sheet"? I was going to ask you what a "bead sheet" is ????

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Try ieSpell, I have used it for a couple of years and it is very easy. Once downloaded, all you have to do is Right Click on the message and then run the spell check before hitting the "Post Now" button.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T. Carr ,
ur makin it two eezy!

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott