New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video camera advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am totally challenged when it cones to this technology. I am planning a Plains game hunt next year and thought a video camera would be nice. Sure would appreciate any input/advice from the folks that are in know. This camera is within my price range. Thanks folks, smoker1
PS hope this is the right forum.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/...UX20_High_Definition

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That camera would be just fine for recording a personal safari. Be sure to take a small tripod along as steady shots are far preferable to shaky handheld stuff either for TV or showing family and friends. But I am sure you will enjoy the camera and the chance to play producer on your own production. Best of luck on your safari.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a pretty good camera for a PG hunt. It's hard to go wrong with a Sony video camera. You'll love the touch screen.

8 gig of memory seems a bit on the small side, but you can add memory sticks for more storage. Just depends on how much video you want to shoot.

We used the high-end HDR-XR 520V on our last hunt. That's a lot more than you will want to spend, of course, but the quality was superb.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use a telescoping monopod as well...tripods are not practical for shooting on the fly.

Make sure that you have the option of decent resolution stills. You don't want to be fussing with several cameras.

Get spare batteries and a travel charger.

Keep the thing rolling and then throw away 3/4 of it. Otherwise you will miss the really good parts.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much thanks folks, that was very helpful. I'm going to place my order. Thanks again, smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
posted Hide Post
One of the most important to have for a camera for hunting is manual focus!

If you do not have this ability you are going to miss a lot of shots in the bush., as the auto focus tries to focus on tigs and grass in between.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67043 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Saeed. Being an old SLR user I never gave that a thought. Just checked to find the focus and exposure are both manual and auto. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a second look at the recording medium. This camera appears to use compact discs -- a medium that looks like it is moving quickly toward obsolecense. Sony makes a similar camera which uses flash memory (the little cards just like in your still camera). An 8mb card records 1 hour of HD, or up to 3 hours of standard definition. The flash memory cameras are even more compact, being less than the size of a beer can.

I bought the similar Canon flash memory HD recorder (Vixia HF 100) because it uses the SD cards rather than Sony's more expensive proprietary Memory Stick. The Canon is fantastic, and I can get a 16MB card (2 hours HD) for it for only $30 and use it over and over. If you prefer the Sony, it's also a great camera, but the memory cards will cost a little more.

Either the Sony or the Canon is silly simple to use, but either also has numerous manual adjustments for more sophisticated operators.

I am always amazed at the low-light performance of my Canon. I had it set on a tripod mounted on the blind on the opening day of the Texas deer season last week and could see deer at the feeder on its monitor screen which I could not see with my naked eye!

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated Stonecreek. Just went back and checked the recording media and it says disc, memory stick or sd card. Its really confusing when you don't understand a damn thing about it. Smiler

--Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, do NOT, repeat NOT, buy a video camera that records on DVDs.

Editing the footage is a real pain in the posterior, and the quality is not even as good as SD.

With todays cameras, my suggestion is to get one that records on SD cards, or one that has internal flash memory as well as an SD card slot, as a bonus, you get your footage is HD as well.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67043 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Saeed. I double checked and this unit has all three options. Looks like the one I'll order. I very much appreciate all the great suggestions and advice. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson