THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    VAT on Non-Exported Trophies in Namibia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VAT on Non-Exported Trophies in Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ran into something fairly interesting on my upcoming plains game hunt.

I was considering saving the expense on bring back the common plains games trophies and just taking pics. Honestly, at this point, I would rather go three times without taxidermy than twice with, although opinions vary on the subject.

Interesting thing in Namibia, the VAT does not apply to trophy fees if exported. However, it does apply if not. So, basically 15% of trophy fee to leave them.

I am not complaining, but it seems a bit odd. I thought I would throw it out if anyone is planning a similar safari.

Is this true in other countries?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its the same in every country - its not a sales tax - the clues in the name - VALUE ADDED TAX. A business only remits the difference in input and output VAT.

Where something (anything) is exported VAT is not charged - or if it is it can be reclaimed. You come here and buy say, a Purdey shotgun, you can reclaim the VAT on permanently exporting it.

Posts: 200 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
That is why people get refunds at airports buying tax exempt goods.

VAT is normally only applied to anything purchased in country.

If it is being exported, VAT is reclaimed.

Normal in all countries.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Metalman29:

Pretty sure if you look at the Outfitter/PH's price sheets, they've already included the 15% into their pricing. You are correct, in that you can apply to have the VAT refunded for any items/products you purchase in Namibia and take out when you leave. This includes souvenirs, diamonds, jewelry, clothing etc. You can NOT claim the VAT refund for anything that is used/consumed inside the country, that means restaurants, food, fuel and hotel rooms etc., VAT is not refundable. Since you can't take your trophies you've just taken with you, the VAT refund can't be claimed on them.

If you decide to claim the VAT refund here the process:

1. Be sure to allow a good bit of EXTRA time before your flight leaves - the workers don't move fast and don't care if you're late for your flight.

2. It is filed, claimed and reimbursed at the airport the day you leave.

3. The Namibian Customs office where you get the form, file the claim etc., is in the main arrival/departure hall OUTSIDE the security area.

4. You MUST file the claim BEFORE you check-in. The Customs Officer is supposed to see the receipts/invoices and the items before approving the refund. If all the items you're taking out are only in your carry-on, then you can check everything else in and get your boarding pass before going to the Customs Office. If they can't see the item, it is not approved.

5. Once you've got the refund request form filled out and the Customs Officer stamps/certifies it, you can check-in or if just carry-ons and already checked your luggage, you proceed through the security checkpoint and the Immigration desks to the departure hall.

6. The VAT refund office is at the far end of the departure hall. Present your stamped/certified form, receipts/invoices and your passport. IF the cashier has enough cash in the drawer, you'll be refunded in Namibian dollars. If they don't have enough cash in the drawer, they will take your mailing address and they WILL actually mail a check to you but, it will be in Namibian dollars and take several months.

7. IF they pay you in cash, you can step to the next window which is a currency exchange office and exchange the Namibian back into whatever currency you want.

Again, the process is slow (agents move slower than cold molasses) and cumbersome. I believed they make it that way to discourage people from doing it thereby keeping the coin in the coffers. It can add at least an hour total to your departure time planning.

What I've been doing, since I go over at least once a year and we only do flat skins and European mounts, I bring the previous year's or previous two years of trophies with me as extra checked bags. They don't allow me to claim the VAT on the trophies themselves because I'm not taking the entire animal out, but I do claim and receive the VAT refund on the taxidermy work. I also do all my own import permits into the US.

Yes, its a pain in the ass but, since I go back every year it amounts to several hundred US dollars and worth the extra time.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote