New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Rhino
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Apparently, a permit for a Black Rhino is available. This is one of only five to be issued this year according to the email I received.

Anyone know what the trophy fee is? 50 Grand? 75? 100? More? (Not that I'm interested.) Smiler

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
J and M Safaris
bob Jacobson, owner
Phone: (507) 209-1929
Fax: (507) 645-7010
E-mail: Bob@JandMSafaris.com
TAKE A STEP INTO ADVENTURE!

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Even if it is affordable

Leave them alone

It's so rare it's a shame to Shoot it for pleasure

May be my grandson will get one

Someday

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by londonhunter:
Even if it is affordable

Leave them alone

Someday

Well, that statement doesn't say much for hunting as a conservation tool, eh?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first one was offered to me a few years back for $250,000. The money was going directly to aid black rhino.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is in Namibia? I have heard of trophy fees in excess of $100,000 there.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even if it is affordable

Leave them alone

Someday

As said above, that is missing the role of hunting in conservation. As I understand it, the permits are for specific aged male rhinos that have been shown to be out of the breeding cycle. Their death, whether from bullet or hyena has no impact on the population. Unless of course some of the money from the hunt is put back into rhino conservation. I doubt CITES would issue a permit if that wasn't the case.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Shoot the old male or barren female and put that money into breeding more!

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
The first one shot was offered at 250k and ultimately sold for 220k IIRC. However, that was at a time that white rhinos could be hunted for 35-40k. Those days are over.

I'd say not less than 200k and possibly as much as 350k for a legal black rhino hunt in 2012.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Even if it is affordable

Leave them alone

Someday

You are almost correct.... Londonhunter's statement really shows his ignorance of hunting's role in conservation of the back rhino.

It is clear that he doesn't understand the fact that the +- 250k that is paid for a non-breading bull funds the effort to increase the population of black rhino.

No offense intended, but his logic is the same as that of the ignorant non-hunters.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the good old days, in 1971, black rhinos were a pest, like this one.

The land owner had already called the Game Department to come and destroy this malefactor, who was escaping from the Aberdares Game Reserve and chasing his cattle and cattle herders. The cattle herder is the one on the right, peeking over the back.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Hunting is what brought South Africa's white rhinos back from the brink of extinction nearly a half century ago. Hunting black rhinos for prices approaching a quarter million dollars per animal will do the same.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@xausa
thx for sharing that picture. The days that black rhinos were considerd as a pest are over, for sure.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2090 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the outfitter:

The tag is for a Trophy Black Rhino in South Africa on 25,000 acres in the Free State. It is one of only five permits issued this year.

With rampant poaching, it takes money to protect the animals. This hunt generates money to pay for the added protection and cost of maintaining and growing the ever dwindling Rhino population.

We need to stop the poaching before the poaching ends the species. This is a CITES Appendix I animal. This means that CITES countries will need an Import Permit from their country.

We have the Export Permit and all paperwork to complete the import of your Trophy. The lucky hunter will have all paperwork approved before the hunt so there is no room for error.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
quote:
Even if it is affordable

Leave them alone

Someday

You are almost correct.... Londonhunter's statement really shows his ignorance of hunting's role in conservation of the back rhino.

It is clear that he doesn't understand the fact that the +- 250k that is paid for a non-breading bull funds the effort to increase the population of black rhino.

No offense intended, but his logic is the same as that of the ignorant non-hunters.

Jason, That is exactly my point!

One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
I texted and got a reply of $350,000 but he's negotiating..Evidently some of the trophy fee goes for anti poaching efforts..

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I can't think of any other African animal that is a better case for hunting as conservation than the white rhino.

And I'm betting this black rhino will sell to some Russian hunter for how ever many rubles $500,000 US is, or maybe that Angus Murray chap.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
@xausa
thx for sharing that picture. The days that black rhinos were considerd as a pest are over, for sure.

They can still be a pest, but nowadays instead of a big bore, running and/or tree climbing are required. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul Fouche
posted Hide Post
Anybody who is advertising a hunt and saying that the proceeds are to be used for the conservation of the black rhino is seriously dillusional. Breeding rhino's is an extremely difficult process. As such the loss of one to the gene pool even for monetary compensation is not viable. Especially with the out of control poaching in the current climate. I would seriously rethink about doing a hunt of this nature..... No matter what permits you can get.

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Anybody got a cell number for the Trump boys?...

popcorn

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Fouche:
Anybody who is advertising a hunt and saying that the proceeds are to be used for the conservation of the black rhino is seriously dillusional. Breeding rhino's is an extremely difficult process. As such the loss of one to the gene pool even for monetary compensation is not viable. Especially with the out of control poaching in the current climate. I would seriously rethink about doing a hunt of this nature..... No matter what permits you can get.

So breeding rhino's is an extremely difficult process. I would think that "difficult" could also mean "expensive" in this case. Don't you think the rancher who receives the trophy fee will use a portion of that money to reinvest in purchasing or breeding additional rhino's?

Also, if the rhino being permitted is an old animal and no longer contributing to the gene pool, how is it that it's loss is not viable, especially when the rancher or breeder uses those funds to breed additional animals.

Seriously, I think YOU need to rethink your concept of how hunting is used as a conservation tool. IMO, this example is the very definition of how a species as a whole benefits from hunting dollars, at least under ranching conditions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So breeding rhino's is an extremely difficult process. I would think that "difficult" could also mean "expensive" in this case. Don't you think the rancher who receives the trophy fee will use a portion of that money to reinvest in purchasing or breeding additional rhino's?

Also, if the rhino being permitted is an old animal and no longer contributing to the gene pool, how is it that it's loss is not viable, especially when the rancher or breeder uses those funds to breed additional animals.

Seriously, I think YOU need to rethink your concept of how hunting is used as a conservation tool. IMO, this example is the very definition of how a species as a whole benefits from hunting dollars, at least under ranching conditions.

I agree with you Todd. But a case could be made ... in fact, I'll make it, that there should be a bank of genetic material for Black Rhino (assuming there isn't one already) in which a sample from every remaining Black Rhino is stored.

Maybe the Trump boys could finance it ... and I offer myself as managing director (I'll be hiring a plethora of consultants and technicians). Smiler

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

Paul, with you being an apprentice hunter I am shocked that you would make such an ignorant statement. Once a black rhino is past breeding age it is finished contributing to the gene pool(except for its sperm, which has undoubtedly been banked).

So what is the owner to do with and over-the-hill rhino? Should he put the rhino out to pasture so that it can eat leaves and make big piles of dung, all while being guarded around the clock to keep the poachers at bay?

Stop and think how much harder rhino owners will work(and how much more they will be willing to spend) if they can make a net profit from their rhino farming.

If we take away the financial incentive the only people who will go to the trouble to try to save the black rhino are the few people who not only love these animals enough to spend spend their own money to save them, but also have the millions it takes to raise them. Think of your own country: would the government work to protect your elephant if they were not able to collect trophy fees on them?

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul Fouche
posted Hide Post
To SteveGI and JBrown,

Point taken. As u say as a learner ph it does seem like a mindless statement, as hunting does preserve and conserve the animals we hunt.

Thanks

Paul

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The way I see it, All of Africa's Wildlife and their range (be it Ranch or reserve) now has to be treated like Stock farms, where game management, culling and controlled off take is a requirement for healthy stock.
With the income that is naturally required to run these "wildlife farms" successfully, they must be able to generate funds by the controlled off take.
Shooting an old Rhino past breeding age to produce a massive income that helps in the protection of his offspring and range can only be a good thing, right?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Shooting an old Rhino past breeding age to produce a massive income that helps in the protection of his offspring and range can only be a good thing, right?

Unless you are one of the "animal rights wackos" who believes that it is better to allow a species to go extinct than to allow them to be hunted.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The black rhino that was offered to me for this year in Vegas was priced around 350k. This included all fees, including a life size mount.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Breeding rhino's is an extremely difficult process. As such the loss of one to the gene pool even for monetary compensation is not viable.

Paul,

An animal too old to breed is already lost to the gene pool.

Maybe some one can help with another rhino breeding wrinkle I vaguely recall. I thought one of the reasons CITES would grant black rhino permits was that very old males actually decreased breeding success. IIRC, the oldest bulls can still hold territroy and do the bulk of the (attempted) breeding, but their success rate was low. By removing those bulls while they were still strong enough to control breeding rights but too old to do it effectively, the breeding success of a population as a whole would increase. I'm not sure where I heard this or if it is even a credible theory. Anybody have some insight?

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maki
I was told almost verbatum the same thing about plainsgame.
Even after an male animal is past breeding he still has the instinct to hold onto his girlfriends & usually can overpower the younger males, therefore stagnating the breeding process.
Take the old man out & you'll have a burst of new calves coming.
This is not my opinion, it is from a very reputable safari operator in Namibia who has owned his own property for almost 30 years.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ozhunter, you pretty much nailed it.
With all due respect Paul and Londonhunter, one of the primary reasons that Rhino made such a great "comeback" was the fact that they could be hunted. This gave the species a "value" which made it a worthwile investment for the private landowner to consider.
I would hazard a guess that more than 50% of the current Rhino population is owned by private landowners. These landowners, hunters or non hunters alike are sitting with a large investment that is under attack by the current poaching epidemic. Putting a stop to the hunting/Utilization of this species would devalue the Rhino to the extent that the private landowner would not be willing to run risk having Rhino on his property.
We could then find ourselves in a position where Rhino are only found in National parks and government reserves where they are already losing the battle to poachers.

Posts: 64 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What John Luyt said!
If it pays, it stays.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
John Luyt is absolutely correct. The story of Ian Player's successful efforts in Zululand to restore the critically endangered white rhino needs to be told around the world, especially his belief that hunting was needed if private landowners were to be partners in the program.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
John Luyt is absolutely correct. The story of Ian Player's successful efforts in Zululand to restore the critically endangered white rhino needs to be told around the world, especially his belief that hunting was needed if private landowners were to be partners in the program.

Bill Quimby

I think he's already told it (not that enough people have read it).

Ian Player

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Ian Player's book was written and published nearly forty years ago and therefore could not cover the success of his vision.

Time has proven his belief that regulated hunting can save an endangered species, and that needs to be told to the masses.

What is surprising is that there are members of this hunting forum, including at least one who lives in South Arizona, who are unaware of this.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For anyone that may be interested, a taxidermist I know is finishing up a restoration of a shoulder-mounted Black Rhino, and it is for sale. I don't know the $$$ amount, but I can put you in touch with him. I have a photo of it he sent me...it's awesome.

Posts: 20158 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote