THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Returned from first hunt to South Africa
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Returned from first hunt to South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted
Wow what an experience! now I know what you guys been talking about. I hunted with "Ntshonalanga Safaris" and what a great outfit to hunt with! I'm going back next Summer, I need to close the deal on a nice Gemsbok. Alaska's my back yard playground, but I'm sold on this Africa thing....Chuck Kahahawai hotobucket.com/albums/nn105/AKsheephunter/Impala.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post
You cannot go wrong when you hunt with Peter Harris!

We have hunted with him twice, and would gladly do so again.

Peter is a real gentleman, and will taylor your hunt the way you wish it to be.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67462 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I'd thought I'd post pics of the different lodges I stayed at, some of you guys might recognize them. A great 5-day hunt taking 8 trophies. Chased some nice Gemsbok the first two days at a couple concessions in the Limpopo province, But they are elusive! now I got that monkey on my back and gotta go back to get one. The red hartebeest was my favorite, I think he was a rare find, and an exceptional one to say the least. I tell you my safari outfitter put me on some nice stuff...I can't wait to get back...CK

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your hunt. Sorry that you've now developed the same addiction as the majority of us. It's really uncurable, but it is treatable by repeated trips back to Africa. . . . Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pics! Your rifle looks like a Steyr Pro Hunter. What caliber did you use?

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great hunt AKsheephunter....I still have a year until my first trip and can't wait.
Congratulations.

Posts: 88 | Location: Mt. Wolf PA | Registered: 17 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Nitehawk, yes it's a Steyr prohunter stainless, topped with a Kahles 3x12x56 in a .300 Win mag. I used Federal premiums, 165 grain Barnes TSX, I'm sold on these bullets!!! The zebra was probaly the heaviest boned animal taken, and one shot on the right shoulder dropped it in its tracks at I would say under 200 yards. The bullets used I would say was perfect for all plainsgame, very flat shooting. Of course hunting the springbok shots up to 500 yards are not uncommon. Most of my other shots were betwwen 250-325 yards. It was fun, to say the least....CK

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
AK, I can see why you are smiling so much... Congrats and a super safari...Good shooting...

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah Chuck ... now you've gone and done it ... looks for all the world like you had a wonderful time! Now your headed for PSD (post safari depression) and that's only curable by planning the next one.

Darned sure got me. Went to Limpopo, RSA, in 2004. Then to Tanzania in 2006. Planning to go back to RSA in 2009. I begin to understand what a drug addict feels like ;>Wink

Congrats! Great lookin' trophies.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I'm already planned for Summer 2009, 10 day hunt with my son, he wants a kudu bull, and me a gemsbok. We also would like to night hunt for some bushbucks....yeah PSD has set in but I'll be huntin' soon enough...Griz,caribou,dall sheep, and late season Mountain goat on Kodiak...CK

one of us
posted Hide Post
AK:

I'm sure you felt as I did on my first hunt that the size or score of the trophies was not your first priority. So, if you were not aware of it, both your red hartebeast and your black wildebeast are outstanding individuals. Congratulations! A kudu and an oryx (gemsbok) are both a must, so if there is anyone in your family who needs a justification for your next trip, tell them that failing to collect these two species is NOT an option.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics of the Sitka gear. Looks like it worked well in SA. Smiler

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek, yeah your right, Iwas not looking for high scoring/size trophies. I just wanted something nice, of course I wsn't sure what I was auging against since it was my first to Africa after all. I guess a little bit of luck always helps (right place right time. My PH was always looking out for me and he just didn't want me to take just anything, he wanted look over animals over, and then he would give me the word whether to take them or not. I could see he was just as happy as I was. I'll post more pics of the Red Hartebeest at different angles.

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Is there area that you hunted close to Jo'burg? It looks very familiar. . .

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...not sure, I believe it was further south about 2 hours from Pretoria, in the Mpumalanga Province (Rhino Lodge), However, where I got the zebra and Impala was in the Limpopo province up north, where the brush and trees were thick, also 2.5 hours from Pretoria....CK

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
The picture above with me and the crew w/ red Hartebeest, My skinner is the one with the Michigan state t-shirt, we kept him busy for the 5 days, the other guy was a tracker, but let me tell you about him...he had eyes as good as my 10x42 binos, and man can he find game!!! that guy had a gift. And of course my PH the Biggest guy in the picture. I learned alot from all of those guys, a whole different type of hunt from the way we do it here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great trip! Thanks for help us still here by posting those fine photos.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on an excellent first safari.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bug has bitten. You're doomed to a lifetime of licenses, immunizations, incredible sunsets, lions coughing in the African night, the smiling faces of the trackers when you score, and many great adventures. When are you planning your first buffalo hunt?

Congratulations on your first hunt. Some very nice animals.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Peter is a real gentleman, and will tailor your hunt the way you wish it to be.

I have hunted with him twice as well. Fantastic hunts Great service and good animals. And a fantastic sense of humour. Top bloke. thumb

Saeed,

Do you know if Deon Van Niekirk is still hunting with Peter?

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair338/378:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Peter is a real gentleman, and will tailor your hunt the way you wish it to be.

I have hunted with him twice as well. Fantastic hunts Great service and good animals. And a fantastic sense of humour. Top bloke. thumb

Saeed,

Do you know if Deon Van Niekirk is still hunting with Peter?

Last time I hunted with them was 2002, and Deon was Peter's partner then.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67462 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt! Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
jetdrvr, planning my first buff hunt in three years...gotta finish the small stuff before I start hitting the big five...However I did see some nice buffs at one of the concessions I hunted. I'm not sure if he's a nice bull, I just didn't want to just piss him off with my .300....check out the pic below...CK

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:
The picture above with me and the crew w/ red Hartebeest, My skinner is the one with the Michigan state t-shirt, we kept him busy for the 5 days, the other guy was a tracker

Somebody clue me in: The tracker is wearing an outfit that appears to be matching blue pants and shirt/coat of the same material. This outfit appears to be almost identical to that worn by virtually all of the farm workers -- who doubled as trackers and skinners -- on the farm we hunted in Namibia. Are these just popular clothes, or is there some other reason they seem to be so ubiquitous?

By the way, I'm told that this bright blue is among the most visible colors to otherwise colorblind ungulates.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
AK,

How'd you get those trophies with no bullet holes in the hides? Your taxidermist is going to love you.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Oh theres bullet holes in them, most of the time the crew cleaned them up with bottled water, some of them we took pictures of the opposite side of entry. The hartebeest was hit front left shoulder so it was hard to see.The zebra front right shoulder...However,I did make two poor shots, The Blesbok was in a full run,and I shot him towards the back, The black wildebeest, was a long shot and I couldn't hold steady...and I shot him in the tail, but he was easy to follow, of course with the blacks they have white tails...well he was the only one with red. He would merge with the herd but we stayed on him, and after over an hour we finally got him down. My skinner only recovered three bullets that he gave me, the rest were complete passes, I was shooting 165 grain Barnes TSX's, I'm sold on these bullets. The zebra was probaly the largest and biggest boned animal, one shot, dropped it in it's tracks....CK