Find
Notify
Tools

Where We Are Now
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
If you have been around this forum for long, you understand morons come and morons go. Flame wars generally result from someone making a series of ignorant statements. Eventually this gets under someone’s skin and the war of words begin. Most get the message and move on to pollute another site, however, some become emotionally fixated and cannot seem to shut up. This is when the rare instance of censorship occurs.

Fortunately, AR remains one of the few “open†forums where anyone can say most anything without being edited or banned. This is why it remains the most popular hunting/shooting forum. Keep up the great work. thumb

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
All,

First and foremost, my most sincere thanks to Saeed for making this venue available for our use. It is truly one of a kind…

Second, my gratitude and respect to all the moderators who devote their time “in the trenches†to making this forum what it is. I’m sure that it’s a largely thankless job…

Will, your thoughts on “bringing something to the table†struck a responsive chord with me. I was taught (and truly believe) that with every freedom comes responsibility.

Each of us is (largely) free to post whatever occurs to us here, yet we each assume a measure of responsibility to the forum when we do so. We can use our posting opportunities for the greater good, or we can scribble on the pages…our choice. One path advances our sport, the other path simply dirties the water.

The vast majority of posters to AR are a wealth of experience and information unavailable anywhere else. In my limited postings, I’ve tried to “bring something to the table†each time, and am conscious of my “responsibility†when I do so. The rest of the time I try to follow another piece of sage advice…â€Never miss a good opportunity to shut the hell up!â€

In the main though, I tend to view the superfluous threads of late kind of like mopane bees. Annoying but harmless, they’re simply part of the experience.

Thanks again for the opportunity to participate…

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'll add my heartfelt thanks to Saeed, Terry, George S, Canuck and the rest of the Moderators. This is indeed a very informative forum and I have learned a lot! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a new member I have found a wealth of info on this site and some pretty strong opinions. Hopefully I'll make Africa before I cash in my chips, but I got one more to put through college before I can think about it.

Posts: 116 | Location: NEW JERSEY | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. I've learned a ton here, and this site was tremoundously helpful in preparing to hunt in Africa.

I love this board.

I'm amazed at the restraint of Saeed and the Moderators.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
I too thank Saeed for this great forum. Because of it I am leaving for my second safari in 12 days and have already booked a Tanzania trip next year. Because of it, I have made friends with several AR members, own two "African" rifles and have learned much about the Dark Continent.

Not only do I thank Saeed, the moderators and Don but another special thanks to all of the members who make this forum entertaining and educational. In spite of the recent antagonistic threads-AR is still the best place to be!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I'll throw my $0.02 in! AR is one of the best repositories I've found on the net for Africana, big game hunting, rifles and shooting. I've enjoyed these forums the past few years. At times the questions and comments seem cyclical, sometimes cynical, and sometimes annoying but if you glean through the chafe, there is wisdom and experience to be found on these forums.

Lately, I feel things have turned negative and long for the amusing posts of JudgeG, the great trove of pictures uncovered by Nickudu, Terry's maps and arcane bits of information he somehow finds and posts on these forums. Travel tips by Kathi, Ray's irascible style and "been there, done that" wisdom and many other's posts on where they have been, what they have seen and shot! Most of the info and comments, positive and encouraging!

Alas, we are at a time, when only a few posters opinions matter, certain countries are deemed "not worthy" of hunting because of hearsay and the actions of a few outfitters projected on many and scorn heaped on any who
dare post otherwise. Only purists who hunt with calibers and rifles judged to be worthy are allowed to post without derision. Divisions among those of like mind and with the common thread of the pursuit of game in the greatest game fields left on Earth over small details seem the order of the day.

But this too shall pass I hope. As hunters make the pilgrimage to their own version of Mecca, reports will begin to be posted along with pictures of successful hunts. As these filter in, the backbiting will cease, replaced by backslaps and hearty congratulations for trophies well-hunted. I look forward to better times for all ahead.

Thank you Saeed for your time and money to keep AR what it is...the pre-eminent source on the web for hunters and shooters alike!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm- VERY well stated, sir!! I hope things get back to "normal" soon.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you to Saeed and all the modirators. Though I don't post much I enjoy the forums, and I have finally started budgeting for my first African hunt. I have intended to do this for the last couple of years, but with all the great stories I read here, I decided to get off my butt and make it happen.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't improve on the previous accolades, so I will stick to a simple thank you to Saeed, the Moderators and the members. I leave for Africa on June 12 better prepared thanks to you gentlemen.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudus to Saeed, Don, and the moderators!

The only down side is the amount of money, better spent due to info here, this site has cost me.

I do miss Mortie though bawling

Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My thanks to Saeed and all the moderators or Accurate Reloading. The accumulate knowledge available in this site is invaluable. Like the others I would like to see a return to civility amoungst those who post here. We are guests here, not owners, and should behave accordingly.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many "Thanks" to Saeed, Don, Terry, and all of the moderators for all the hard work they do in providing all of us hunters this wonderful resource. There is no other place like it.

Posts: 82 | Location: Loxley,AL | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With Quote