THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Unaired TV Episodes Show Wayne LaPierre Trying to Shoot an Elephant

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unaired TV Episodes Show Wayne LaPierre Trying to Shoot an Elephant
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.thetrace.org/2020/...ierre-elephant-hunt/

Unaired TV Episodes Show Wayne LaPierre Trying to Shoot an Elephant

In court filings, a production company alleges that the NRA leader suppressed footage showing him and his wife hunting elephants in Botswana.

BY WILL VAN SANT· @W_VANSANT ·January 30, 2020 · UPDATED January 30, 2020 3:48 pm EST

In a bio circulated by the National Rifle Association, chief executive Wayne LaPierre is praised as “a skilled hunter, from Chesapeake waterfowl to African Cape buffalo.”

It’s a description sure to resonate with hunters, who are a pillar of NRA support.

A recent court filing, however, suggests LaPierre may have some unease with being portrayed as too avid a hunter, at least as far as African elephants are concerned. According to the filing, LaPierre took part in an elephant hunt in Botswana that was filmed for an outdoor television program, then “instructed that two episodes in 2018 not be aired.”

The episodes were shot for a long-running program called “Under Wild Skies,” according to the filing, and “contain video footage of LaPierre firing multiple gunshots at an elephant in Botswana while attempting to kill it.” The episodes also feature “LaPierre’s wife, Susan LaPierre, cutting off the elephant’s tail… holding the elephant tail in the air, and proclaiming ‘Victory … with Under Wild Skies!’” The couple allegedly “posed for photos while sitting on the deceased elephant.”

The filing detailing the Botswana hunt was submitted in December in a lawsuit that Under Wild Skies originally brought against the NRA last September.

The NRA and its attorneys, as well as lawyers for “Under Wild Skies,” did not respond to phone calls and emails Wednesday seeking comment for this story.

“Under Wild Skies” is hosted by Tony Makris, a big game hunter and executive with Ackerman McQueen, the marketing firm that was largely responsible for crafting the NRA’s public image until the longstanding relationship between the two imploded last year. The NRA and Ackerman have been hurling various charges of impropriety against each other ever since and are locked in legal battle in courtrooms in Texas and Virginia.

“Under Wild Skies” worked with the NRA for 26 years, according to the Fairfax lawsuit, and Makris and LaPierre were friendly for even longer. In addition to hosting the hunting show, Makris is president of Mercury Group, an Ackerman subsidiary. In 2017 alone, The Trace has reported, the NRA paid “Under Wild Skies” and Mercury more than $8 million.

A 2018 sponsorship agreement included in the court filing indicates that the NRA paid “Under Wild Skies” nearly $1 million annually from 2016 to 2018 in exchange for advertising time. That payment was to increase every year to $1.4 million in 2025, according to the agreement, which required “Under Wild Skies” to produce 13 original programs each year. The NRA claims in court records that the show violated the agreement by producing only 11 episodes in 2018, which led to the allegation that LaPierre asked that the elephant hunt episodes not run.

Over the years, “Under Wild Skies” featured NRA brass, including LaPierre, taking part in hunts in the United States and several countries in Africa and South America.

The court filing does not specify when the Botswana hunt took place. The country banned commercial elephant hunting in 2014. The LaPierres were featured in a 2014 episode of “Under Wild Skies” that was promoted as having been filmed in Botswana weeks before the ban took effect. No elephant hunting is shown in that episode. Wayne LaPierre, who has a reputation for being a bit clumsy with a gun, kills a warthog. Susan LaPierre fells an impala and a Cape buffalo.

The NRA has long worked in tandem with the hunting advocacy group Safari Club International. Safari Club past-president Paul Babaz is on the NRA board and the groups recently joined forces to fend off an attempt to reinstate hunting prohibitions on Alaskan wildlife refuges. The groups also successfully fought to lift an import ban on elephant body parts, including tusks.

The lawsuit filed by “Under Wild Skies” states that “almost all of the NRA high donors are hunters” and that LaPierre, his wife, and other NRA officials used their experience on the program to gain membership to elite hunting organizations whose members are key to NRA fundraising.

The lawsuit alleges that the NRA, seeking to retaliate against Makris and Ackerman, stopped making its payments to “Under Wild Skies” in September. “The NRA’s action (sic) are in pure malice against Anthony Makris,” according to the lawsuit, which seeks $17 million in damages.

Botswana is home to some 130,000 elephants, about a third of the elephant population in Africa. The ban on elephant hunting was supported by international conservationist groups, which were dismayed when it was lifted last year. In rural areas of Botswana, where elephants trample crops and occasionally people, there is strong support for hunting, which can generate local jobs. African elephants are considered vulnerable to extinction but are not endangered.

Makris has firsthand experience of how controversial elephant hunting can be. There was outrage in 2013 after NBC showed an episode of “Under Wild Skies,” shot in Botswana, in which Makris guns down an elephant. Makris responded by likening critics of hunting “big and special” creatures like elephants to Hitler for displaying “a very unique form of animal racism.”

NBC then cancelled “Under Wild Skies.” The program continued to run on NRATV, which shut down in June amid intensifying turmoil at the NRA.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wayne LaPierre, who has a reputation for being a bit clumsy with a gun,

If this is true, he should never have been in charge of the NRA.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Wayne LaPierre, who has a reputation for being a bit clumsy with a gun,

If this is true, he should never have been in charge of the NRA.

Every time he has a gun in his hands it looks like he’s thinking, “Icky.”

Can’t find the article now, but I read once where he was simply a guy who likes a good fight and thought heading the NRA would fit the bill. Kind of like Stu at sportsman’s warehouse.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
And look where it got us!

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never understood why the NRA needed to sponsor that show.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Because Makris was the marketing arm of the NRA...what better way to payback a friend than host his hunts!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Because Makris was the marketing arm of the NRA...what better way to payback a friend than host his hunts!

Just another example of the taint surrounding LaPierre and the NRA. The rehabilitation of the image and stature of the NRA will never fully begin until the NRA board either encourages LaPierre to resign or they remove him. If the NRA were a public company, LaPierre would have been gone along time ago. The NRA has been weakened by all the abuses of the senior leadership and until that leadership is gone a cloud will continue to impair their effectiveness unfortunately.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember that episode. I may still have it recorded. It was cut very odd showing WLP. Then he just disappears.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just another example of the taint surrounding LaPierre and the NRA. The rehabilitation of the image and stature of the NRA will never fully begin until the NRA board either encourages LaPierre to resign or they remove him. If the NRA were a public company, LaPierre would have been gone along time ago. The NRA has been weakened by all the abuses of the senior leadership and until that leadership is gone a cloud will continue to impair their effectiveness unfortunately.

Sad but true.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't care to be within ten miles of WLP and a loaded gun.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Wait, when did elephant hunting close in Botswana? The article mentions the hunt took place in 2018.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait, when did elephant hunting close in Botswana?

Invoke the Lacey Act!!! :-)

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I shudder to think where American firearms owners would be today without the leadership of Wayne LaPierre and the NRA over the past 40 plus years.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I shudder to think where American firearms owners would be today without the leadership of Wayne LaPierre and the NRA over the past 40 plus years.

Very true.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

Very true.

And imagine how much more could have been achieved if we had a better, less controversial man leading the NRA??

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Not to mention how much more money they would have to spend on 2nd amendment defense if millions hadn’t been spent on WLP and his lavish life style......

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

No doubt. However, that does not excuse executive excesses that bring disrepute on the organization and impair it’s effectiveness. In fact LaPierre’s historic successes have probably contributed to an apparent belief on his part that he can treat the organization as his own fiefdom. For the long term good of the NRA LaPierre needs to acknowledge the credibility issues he creates for the organization and step aside allowing new leadership to begin to rebuild lost credibility.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

Very true.

+1

And imagine how much more could have been achieved if we had a better, less controversial man leading the NRA??

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

No doubt. However, that does not excuse executive excesses that bring disrepute on the organization and impair it’s effectiveness. In fact LaPierre’s historic successes have probably contributed to an apparent belief on his part that he can treat the organization as his own fiefdom. For the long term good of the NRA LaPierre needs to acknowledge the credibility issues he creates for the organization and step aside allowing new leadership to begin to rebuild lost credibility.

Well said.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
A recent court filing, however, suggests LaPierre may have some unease with being portrayed as too avid a hunter, at least as far as African elephants are concerned. According to the filing, LaPierre took part in an elephant hunt in Botswana that was filmed for an outdoor television program, then “instructed that two episodes in 2018 not be aired.”

quote:
A 2018 sponsorship agreement included in the court filing indicates that the NRA paid “Under Wild Skies” nearly $1 million annually from 2016 to 2018 in exchange for advertising time. That payment was to increase every year to $1.4 million in 2025, according to the agreement, which required “Under Wild Skies” to produce 13 original programs each year. The NRA claims in court records that the show violated the agreement by producing only 11 episodes in 2018, which led to the allegation that LaPierre asked that the elephant hunt episodes not run.

If I'm reading this right the NRA is suing because the two episodes that LaPierre asked not be aired are the reason for the suit? So why then doesn't the NRA go after LaPierre instead? Or perhaps the better question does he has have something to do with initiating the action against Under Wild Skies? Sounds pretty fishy to me.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agree...

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sounds like LaPierre is a politician.

He goes hunting to satisfy a requirement to gain support.

He tells them not to air the two episode.

Then when they don't, he sues them because they have not met their quota!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
NRA Chief of Staff Removed

. . . again, if this were a public company accountable to shareholders and investors, LaPierre would be pursuing other interests. Past successes do not excuse executive excesses. Time to get the NRA back on track and doing what it has done so well in the past.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
As said above...the NRA IS responsible for preserving our Second Amendment rights and our freedoms as we know them today. And WLP deserves some of that credit.

Yes, he has likely over-stayed his VISA and should step away for the good of all...but we owe the NRA and they deserve our loyalty...to some extent.

It was not long ago that Mike Jines was touting them as the coming savior of hunting.

I think we all should take a deep breath and not throw the baby out with the bath water. Advocate for new more transparent (to membership) leadership but don’t leave the NRA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Damn, a 57% pay increase in the past year for Wayne- a time of lawsuits and turmoil......Money well spent???

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get the feeling lapierre is a tough leader and a good leader for the NRA.He is not one of those deep state fakes like Bush.Just go on the NRA website and read whatever Lapierre has to say-no bullshit whatsoever.I believe people are trying to get him out and turn the NRA into their own little business.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

. . . turn the NRA into their own little business.

. . . I think that coup d'etat already occurred.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

. . . turn the NRA into their own little business.

. . . I think that coup d'etat already occurred.

Why do you say that? Are you getting your sources from fake news?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
As said above...the NRA IS responsible for preserving our Second Amendment rights and our freedoms as we know them today. And WLP deserves some of that credit.

Yes, he has likely over-stayed his VISA and should step away for the good of all...but we owe the NRA and they deserve our loyalty...to some extent.

I think we all should take a deep breath and not throw the baby out with the bath water. Advocate for new more transparent (to membership) leadership but don’t leave the NRA.

tu2

Time to move on and get back to priorities.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
LaPierre

If you have watched Under Wild Skies with La Pierre you could see that he can't shoot for shit

Posts: 11 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 11 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should we be more concerned about how he shoots or how he runs the NRA? It seems that he has plenty of experience where it counts.Instead of it being a good thing that the leader of the NRA went to hunt elephant in africa some here see it otherwise and take sides with the antis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some interesting takes on the current issue with Under Wild Skies.

https://www.dailykos.com/stori...-off-elephant-s-tail

https://www.thetrace.org/2020/...ierre-elephant-hunt/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u...ociation-11568234929

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jazman:
If you have watched Under Wild Skies with La Pierre you could see that he can't shoot for shit

Personally, I don't care whether he can or can not shoot as long as he can effectively run NRA. Now, there is some concern in that lately in light of recent events, however I would not want to change the guy at the helm in an election year.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
BTW, I was wondering why the article seemed to belittle La Pierre, and seemed a bit negative towards NRA.

Looked at the list of articles and all of them were negative towards gun ownership.

Went to about box:

The Trace is an independent, nonprofit news organization dedicated to expanding coverage of guns in the United States. We believe that our country’s epidemic rates of firearm-related violence are coupled with a second problem: a shortage of information about the issue at large.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

popcorn coffee

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote