New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 NE NF Cup Points
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I think I found my Buff load for my 470 NE.

500 grain North Fork Cup Points at a nominal 2160 fps. Accuarcy was as good as I could have expected from 4 shots (each loading) out of my DR at 50 yards. I loaded up to 2160 fps, first load was 2118 fps, next load 2140 fps. All three loads shot extremely well....I will do some more testing to ensure my results are consistent and determine what level of loading to settle on...

I did notice that the North Forks gave greatly velocity with the same charge of H4831sc that I was using with Barnes Banded Solids and Woodleigh Softs...so if you try the North Forks you may wish to start with a reduced charge.

The North Fork 500 grain 470's at approx. 2100 fps ought to hammer the heck out of those Cape Buffalo!!!

It just hard luck that I only get to test these bullets on two Cape Buffalo!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jjs,

I have put the NF cup nose into a buffalo and I can assure you they work great and penetrate deeply. You have made a good choice of bullet.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot half a dozen Buffalo with the Northfork cup point at 2020 FPS in the 470, and shot a lot more of them into dead Buffalo for testing purposes when I did the initial field testing of those bullets..I tested them in the 404 at 2400 FPS and 470 at 2020 FPS..

Best bullet I have ever used...and I see no need for a back up solid with the cup points, but I will asways have a few Northfork Or GS Custom flat nose solids around, one just doesn't hunt Buffalo or elephant without a solid around just in case! shame

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Did you get your Searcy back with the new stock? I would like to see a photo. I know the kind of wood Butch uses so if you upgraded then it must be a beautiful chunk of pine!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote