THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Canadian gun registration and traveling?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian gun registration and traveling?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to Africa in June and have a question about Canadian gun registration. The rifle I want to take to Africa is not registered and I wonder if it is a problem to take it there and back. Obviously the gun registration thing in Canada is a joke but I wonder if I will have problems getting it back and forth. Anybody know that could help me out?
Thanks

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes they will confiscate your rifle and then fine you for not having it registered.

i traveled to africa in 04 and i had to get a temporary export permit for my rifles when going to africa

and im going back within the next year or so i just have to deside when. gotta keep the elephants in check.

i have enough for 1-2 elephants but would like to shoot 3-4

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
same happend to me when coming back through toronto. showed him my pal and my certs and he just waved me through

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rifle I want to take to Africa is not registered and I wonder if it is a problem to take it there and back.

Oh yeah. BIG problem.

Given the current "moratorium" on registration, you possibly could do it with just a PAL, but I would NOT try it. You may not know this, but you are required to obtain a temporary firearms export permit (for your rifles, ammo AND scopes!!!!). They will want your PAL and registration numbers for that permit...and it takes long enough without throwing complications into it.

Good luck!
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides the problems mentioned, there is another, which I discovered when I hunted RSA two years ago. Halina, at Canada North Outfitting advised me that there is a law which has been in effect in Canada for years, but not really enforced until after 9/11,which requires you to get a permit from Ottawa, External Affairs or some such, to bring your firearms back into the country. You have to get the customs inspector at the airport to sign off on this thing, then you are required to mail it back to Ottawa. I didn't have to do any of this BS when I went to Zambia 8 years ago, but as I've said, did have to do it 2 years ago. Your booking agent should be up to speed on what's required.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote