New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ruger and new cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone else heard about the new Ruger rifles in 375 Ruger. The cartridge is the lenght of a 3006 with the balistics of a 375 H&H and from a 20" barrel, Sounds like this would be an excellant plains game and dangerous game rifle. Anyone else out there heard of it?

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Ya There are even pics. somewhere... As with any new round the Wildcatters have aircatted it into every thing from 17-458 probably by now ....Boom Stick really wants to make it up in a 395 caliberCheck out the BigBore ,, and Wildcat forums..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like this would be an excellant plains game and dangerous game rifle. Anyone else out there heard of it?

Just like another .375known as the H&H. Wink

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Picture this if you will... You arrive in Maun and having had your luggage throughly tossed about by several spiecies of humaniod, it occurs to you to check and see if everything arrived as planned. To your utter horror the little package of .375 Ruger ammunition is now no where to be found... Do you A: run down to Tommy's sports and buy a few boxes, or B: Wish you had a half a brain and stuck with the H&H version of that bore?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
308Sako

I'm with you. This old man has watched many a cartridge come out with much hullabaloo -only to fade away. Anyone remember the 264 Win.Magnum which the ad people told us was the "successor" to the 270 Win? Gee, the 270 seems to be going strong yet -and I bet I could find 130 gr. ammo for it in any state of the US. I wouldn't bet on that for the 264 Win.Mag. In Africa, saying that you have a "Ruger 375" might raise some eyebrows -and finding ammo could be a real problem! (I carried a Ruger chambered for 375 H&H in Africa. The combination worked great. Ruger should stick to making firearms and not try to edge out an old established cartridge in some kind of "package" deal. Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Guys,

The issue of lost ammo is gonna happen with any caliber and unless you are using a VERY common caliber you may not be able to find it anywhere.

You can solve this by packing your ammo in two different pices of luggage.

You are alos just as likely to not get your gun...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The issue of lost ammo is gonna happen with any caliber and unless you are using a VERY common caliber you may not be able to find it anywhere.

.30-06 and .375 H&H, 12 gauge, 22LR, .45ACP ...

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
Here would be my choices:

30.06, 9.3 X 62mm, 375 H&H, and 416 Remington Mag.

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the .375 Ruger will be as hot a seller as a .375 bore can be. .375 H&H ballistics (or better) with no belt, no modifications of a standard Mauser action other than opening the bolt face. It will make a nice lightweight hunting rifle with thump and Ruger will make it fairly inexpensive to buy. The new Hawkeye rifle is also quite a bit nicer looking if the pictures are any indication, just looks more finished than the old 77 MKII.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dangerous Dave:
Has anyone else heard about the new Ruger rifles in 375 Ruger. The cartridge is the lenght of a 3006 with the balistics of a 375 H&H and from a 20" barrel, Sounds like this would be an excellant plains game and dangerous game rifle. Anyone else out there heard of it?

Sturm, Ruger Announces M77 Hawkeye Rifles Chambered in the New .375 Ruger Caliber
http://www.ruger.com/News/2006-11-07f.jsp?P=F

M77 Hawkeye African
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=7129&return=Y

M77 Hawkeye Alaskan
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=7130&return=Y

375 Ruger
http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=482

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
when are manufacturers going to learn that the front swivel post on a heavier rifle should be on a barrel band and not in the stock? it would only cost maybe $10-15 more to do it the right way!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It also says left hand models available mid-2007

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of the Ruger rifle, but everyone I have seen, Ruger forgot to blue the bolt handle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
went to Ruger's website and according to them, the 375 Ruger round will equal the ballistics of the 375 H&H when shot out of a 20" barrel- but the 375 Hawkeye African model comes with a 23" barrel. am i missing something here or is this just plain stupid? what happened to the idea of a handy, quick pointing rifle?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want the Ruger Alaskan in the .375 Ruger, I like the looks of it, is it stainless steel coated or is it a blued reciver ?? I would prefer the blued receiver at any rate.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doyle Hufstedler
posted Hide Post
Ouote
when are manufacturers going to learn that the front swivel post on a heavier rifle should be on a barrel band and not in the stock? it would only cost maybe $10-15 more to do it the right way!!
jdollar
Not if one wants a functioning shooting sling not just a carrying strap. Use flush swivles.
Doyle

"He must go -- go -- go away from here!
On the other side the world he's overdue.
'Send your road is clear before you when the old Spring-fret comes o'er you,
And the Red Gods call for you!"
Rudyard Kipling - 1887 - The Feet Of The Young Men

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
The Alaskan is a standard chrome-moly receiver with a special coating on the metal, so listed on the Ruger website. As for me, I'll have to see which model they will make for us lefties, then get that one. As an aside, the 20" Alaskan barreled model is a quarter-pound heavier than the walnut stocked version with 23" bbl!
Its funny, Bill Ruger was lefthanded, but only made his lefty rifles in the '06 length action. Would have loved a short action.
I'm more into 22" bbls for my big bores, so either way I'm + or - two inches! Please, no comments of a physical nature.
Big Grin

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prof if I was packin 22 inches I wouldn't worry a bit about comments on physical nature.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of 338ultra
posted Hide Post
I've actually touched the new rifle and the cartridges, and yes they are making it in two versions. It has close to the same action as a 30.06 in length. I quess they could have nicked named it a 375 SAM(Short Action Magnum), but they named it a 375 Ruger. Check the Ruger Booth at the SCI in Jan, They will have it there. Hopefully will be test firing it in the near future or somebody will. Will let you know about the true balistics from the chrono. But so far it appears to be very simlular to the 375 H&H. But in a shorter action, should be interesting to say the least.

Nothing beats a well placed shot

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
It is the easiest thing in the world to drill a small hole and install a sling swivel stud ... But many would like to keep the muzzel a bit lower while it is on the strap over the shoulder.........It is alot more of a process that usually involves mailing the rifle , to install a barrel sling mount....I wish it had a foward scope mount .. would be easier carrying it with one hand and be genrally easier to deal with......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was able to handle one as well, our local gunshop has received two so far......but no ammo. They sold the first one in less than two hours......
Both are the African version.
It appears to be a standard length long action with matte finish metal and nice, functional iron sights. Stock is definitely trimmer and it balances quite well. Appears they are trying to market a "poor man's" imitation custom rifle. Did a pretty good job of it. The tag says $899.00.

Posts: 43 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 March 2005Reply With Quote