New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuskless ele trophy exemption?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With the various restrictions on ivory transport from trophy hunted elephants, seems to me we should seek an exemption for trophies resulting from tuskless ele hunts (hide, tail, skull, etc)?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Totally Agree. beer

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am afraid that the USFWS's view is based less on the trophies (or solid science or conservation principles for that matter) and more on the fact that elephant, tusked or untusked/bulls or cows, are being shot. I think an exemption would have virtually no chance of being approved. IMHO.

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More chance then a reversal of current blanket status?

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Nothing will change for better unless we get friendlier administration
My Mom used to say " It's like throwing pea onto a wall and trying to make it stick "
USFWS anyone?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Nothing will change for better unless we get friendlier administration
My Mom used to say " It's like throwing pea onto a wall and trying to make it stick "
USFWS anyone?

Milan,
You are 100% correct! And Hillary due to the Clinton Foundation will be worse on this subject than Obama.

If Hillary wins...it is over for ele & lion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36840 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the answer to the elephant ban to have copies made of the tusk so that they can be brought home?

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just take lots of measurements and pictures. I would not hassle with trying to have molds made and shipped over.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been away from AR for a while. Last I knew there was a restriction on importing elephant trophies from certain countries. Is this still the case, or was it made into a blanket prohibition by USFW?

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
It is a trophy prohibition, but that includes any elephant trophies, bull or cow, such as leather, feet, ears, bracelets, etc., not just tusks.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The recent change was a total prohibition from Zimbabwe and Tanzania that was new.

One can still legally import to the US from South Africa, Namibia, and Botswana (although Botswana closed itself.)

The USFWS has apparently relented on having items from an elephant that was legally hunted exported(leather, etc.) as long as it is legal to import the trophy.

Its my understanding that tuskless are culls and are not part of a nation's CITES quota, and therefore not exportable at all. The export business is not really about ivory per se, but rather a treaty agreed upon limit of sustainable hunting. Therefore, I would really doubt that it is something that one would have much luck fighting to overturn with USFWS- but if one would be willing to pay "trophy" rates for a tuskless and have it taken out of the CITES quota, I would assume that its hide, feet, etc. could be exported as long as one can legally export elephant from the country in question.

Posts: 10771 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The whole prohibition of ele trophies, etc was motivated in response to the poaching crisis - at least that was how the various recent bans were motivated to the general public.

Too many poached elephants meant that even trophy hunting for elephants (in certain countries)was creating loopholes for poached ivory to continue being traded. The bans were/are meant to close that loophole. Ele poaching is all about the ivory.

So if tuskless hunting was allowed to be regulated and nurtured to partially fill the vacuum created by the bans to the trophy hunts, it would have NO impact on ivory poaching but still allow much needed revenue to flow? The market would dictate the hunt price and I think most hunters would still want to bring back home some tuskless trophy? Using CITES set quotas would ensure it's sustainable and anyways, removing tuskless genes is arguably a desired long term conservation result??

Why would USFWS oppose such activity?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The average person will not discriminate between "hunting" and "poaching" and the antis know and capitalize on that. F&W listens to them, and not the biologists on the ground in Africa. Hillary will indeed be worse, because at least she has a pair, but the Clinton Initiative will spell the end for elephants.
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
The whole prohibition of ele trophies, etc was motivated in response to the poaching crisis - at least that was how the various recent bans were motivated to the general public.

Too many poached elephants meant that even trophy hunting for elephants (in certain countries)was creating loopholes for poached ivory to continue being traded. The bans were/are meant to close that loophole. Ele poaching is all about the ivory.

So if tuskless hunting was allowed to be regulated and nurtured to partially fill the vacuum created by the bans to the trophy hunts, it would have NO impact on ivory poaching but still allow much needed revenue to flow? The market would dictate the hunt price and I think most hunters would still want to bring back home some tuskless trophy? Using CITES set quotas would ensure it's sustainable and anyways, removing tuskless genes is arguably a desired long term conservation result??

Why would USFWS oppose such activity?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:

The whole prohibition of ele trophies, etc was motivated in response to the poaching crisis . . .

Your whole premise is incorrect. The eyewash used to justify the action was poaching . . . the motivation was to stop elephant hunting. That is why sound science and recognized conservation principles do not matter . . . and that is why the USFWS will never carve out tuskless and treat them differently.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am afraid Mike is correct. USF&WS is being used like a political pawn at the moment. Nothing will change at all until after November 1, 2016.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36840 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I am afraid Mike is correct. USF&WS is being used like a political pawn at the moment. Nothing will change at all until after November 1, 2016.

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything happening after the election, even if a Republican is voted into office. No new president is going to be willing to use their precious political capital to fight USFW's regulations. The only chance to get the USFW's regulations revoked is when the POTUS is a lame duck. That will be either three or seven years after this election if we are lucky.

Posts: 802 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
quote:

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything happening after the election, even if a Republican is voted into office. No new president is going to be willing to use their precious political capital to fight USFW's regulations. The only chance to get the USFW's regulations revoked is when the POTUS is a lame duck. That will be either three or seven years after this election if we are lucky.

Not if the correct candidate is elected. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by ********:
Ledvm,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for the incredibly nice post you wrote about me. My brother Don and I are both big hunters and 2A guys. We have both been reading this forum for years albeit I have always kept some anonymity. Anyway i came across your post and just wanted to shoot you a PM to say thank you for the nice words. We are going to win this thing and it will be a great for all of us in the shooting/hunting community.

I truly hope our paths cross at some point! Thanks again!

Eric Trump

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I am afraid that is correct . . . particularly on something involving an issue like lion and elephant hunting that (1) impacts a handful of people, and (2) is emotionally charged publicly.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
quote:

I am afraid that is correct . . . particularly on something involving an issue like lion and elephant hunting that (1) impacts a handful of people, and (2) is emotionally charged publicly.

you are correct Mike...there is only one choice for POTUS who is likely to throw the brakes of the USF&WS soon after taking office.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ledvm,

Nothing personal, but is it wise posting pm's on a public forum. If you have permission to do so, I apologize and retract my comment.

Hope your correct on your assumption, but I still wouldn't hold my breath. If Trump wins and revokes the elephant and lion regulations issued by USFW, I will be happy to buy your dinner at DSC.

Posts: 802 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
ledvm,

Nothing personal, but is it wise posting pm's on a public forum. If you have permission to do so, I apologize and retract my comment.

Hope your correct on your assumption, but I still wouldn't hold my breath. If Trump wins and revokes the elephant and lion regulations issued by USFW, I will be happy to buy your dinner at DSC.

If Donald Trump gets elected...he will appoint a hunting friendly Secretary of the Interior...I have that on good word. Wink

It really takes NO political capital to reverse USF&WS...as it is under direct executive branch control.

I don't think Eric is going to mind me plugging for his Dad...if he does...I am sure he will reprimand me himself. I redacted his username.

J. Lane Easter, DVM