THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Man on the run after selling jackal as game meat-Zim

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man on the run after selling jackal as game meat-Zim
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Man sells jackal meat

June 13, 2007 The Herald

A NORTON tractor driver is on the run after he killed a jackal and allegedly sold its meat as game meat to unsuspecting neighbours.

There are fears that several families that consumed the meat might have been exposed to rabies.

Matthew Michael Mabwe (29), who was working as a tractor driver at Damex Mine in Norton, allegedly ran over the jackal while taking his workmates home around 3pm on Friday last week.

Mabwe allegedly refused to dispose of the jackal, saying he wanted to use it at his home.

He allegedly put the dead jackal in the trailer and proceeded to take his workmates home.

Mabwe then allegedly went home and removed the jackal’s head, legs, intestines and the tail from the carcass and threw them away.

He allegedly later went around the mine compound selling the meat in a bucket claiming that it was game meat. He then proceeded to Kutama Village.

Mabwe’s luck, however, ran out when some of his workmates who knew what had happened reported the matter to the police.

Information filtered to Mabwe that police were looking for him and he disappeared.

Mashonaland West police spokesperson Inspector Paul Nyathi confirmed the incident.

"Mabwe is on the run and we appealing to people with information on his whereabouts to contact police in Norton and Zvimba or their nearest police station," he said. — Chinhoyi Bureau.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9497 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I wonder how much jackal I've eaten.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hey, everything tastes like chicken does it not?

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Rabies can be carried by about any antelope species, cattle, horses, buffalo, bobo's, etc. So does that mean if you ran one of them over on the road it is rabid? nilly

I heard somewhere that rodents do not carry rabies?

~Ann

Posts: 19558 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rabies can be carried by about any antelope species, cattle, horses, buffalo, bobo's, etc.

All mammals on the earth are suseptable to be infected with the rabies virus. However when you use the term "carried" you are implying something differntly. There are different strains of rabies that are "carried" by certain groups of animals. In US I believe we have 3: the canine strain, skunk strain, and bat strain. All of these are infective to other mammals that are exposed to the virus including man. I believe in Africa, they have a canine strain endemic to the black backed jackal. Hence, making one handling a jackal at a slight risk. Cariers can have the virus while not exhibiting symptoms. All other infected mammals show signs very soon after being infected and die with in 2 weeks.

quote:
I heard somewhere that rodents do not carry rabies?

True rodents do not carry rabies and if you are bitten by one, you are highly unlikely to get rabies from one. That said, rodents can contract the virus and die from it just like any other mammal.

By the way, you are probably just as likely to get rabies from hunting and being exposed to wildlife in the US as you are in Africa. Either way, the risk is very very remote.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37879 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
mmmmhhhh, rabies problem apart, if I shoot a chacal is it game or it is a pest? does it depend by the paymment of a fee? Because at the end, not considering the rabies problem, if it is pest, well MR. Matthew Michael Mabwe should have troubles, but if it is game..... Big Grin

Don't think that I'm a loyer, I work in in the IT, and I made a logical thought Wink

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well dang- no wonder that biltong was a bit stringy. Could someone pass the water , I am getting a bit dry mouthed......

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote