THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: 375 H&H vs. 375 Taylor vs. 376 Steyr

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 375 H&H vs. 375 Taylor vs. 376 Steyr
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The pressure must be very high to drive a 300gr@2800 from the 300win case,I only get 2850 with the 300gr from my 375 ultra.

Posts: 120 | Location: yukon | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm having a 376 Steyr built on an FN action with a Mannlicher stock by David Van Horn in Phoenix. Fred Wells of Prescott heard about it, fell in love with the cartridge and built one for himself on a vintage commercial Mauser. I know of two more being built. I intend to write about these and promote the cartridge in my column in The Accurate Rifle magazine. It's the only recent cartridge development from anybody that's actually of real interest. Steyr may be too thick-headed to appreciate what they've got, but the rest of us are not.

Bob Boatman

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another one that will fit a standard action that you don't hear alot of is the 375 dakota,I guess brass must be expensive but it should be a great cartridge.Does anyone have any experience with it?

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I am pleased to her that you are doing so. I wrote a piece for African Hunter after a hunt in Zim in '01. The article is available on the Internet (search on 376 shangaan and it should pop-up).

It is a most excellent cartridge hindered by zero marketing by Steyr-Mannlicher. I have more than once pointed out to them that it is a modern replacement for the 9.3X62.

Please email me if I can help.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to use 270grain Failsafes in my 376 Steyr. Nice utility combination.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The most potent of the standard action breed is to simply neck up .300 Win Mag cases to .375 for max powder capacity on this casehead. My buddy gets 2,800 fps with jacketed 300's and something over 2,700 with the Barnes. 24" Brl. Whitworth rifle.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
We have had at least three ARsters take .376 Steyr rifles to Africa (Eric Ching and his Steyr Scout, Jim Dodd & Mike Smith with ProHunter versions -- Eric used 300 grain hand loads, Jim & Mike both shot factory 270 grain Hornadys).

We also have people on AR building .376s on M98s, but I don't have any hunt reports from them.

I have suggested to Nosler that they add the .376 Steyr to their new line of ammunition with a Nosler Partition bullet, and their initial reaction was very positive. Now we just need mangement to approve it.

There is at least one Sweedish maker chambering for it, and Empire Rifles has it in their chambering list. But we indeed need to get wider distribution to keep it going.

If you want to see it in your favorite factory rifle, ask for it.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 376 will come close to the H&H but only at higher pressure,less capacity,there's no free lunch.The 376 is a necked up 9.3x64 but the case has been shortened.I find it hard to believe the 376 will survive unless someone else picks it up.The taylor is a great round and easy to neck up,300's at 2600 from a 22" barrel.All are great cartridges,but only the H&H makes sense if your going to africa as you could find ammo anywhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have to have a short action, then the 375 Taylor will duplicate the 375 H&H with ease..Making cases is simple as running a 338 case in a 375 Taylor die and go hunting..

The 9.3x62 with a long tube and good warm handload will come close to a 375 H&H with a 320 gr. bullet at 2400 plus a little maybe....but it will also hold a round or two more and thats a plus...the 376 Styr is a nice caliber and comes close enough to work, but I fear its prone to failure in the market place, and near death as we speak...

But, all these calibers are on standard length actions, and its no big deal to open a Mauser or M-70 std. to a 375 H&H, and thats the best round of all the ones mentioned, hands down...

Apparantly you just have developed a case of the "wants" and when you combine that with a senior moment it makes you crazy, therefore you've gone completely nuts!! I saw it coming about 6 months ago

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote