New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zim Exchange Rate
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been out of the loop for a couple months. Whats the Bank/blended/black market rates with the USD currently? No I'm not investing, I was just wondering I like to know whats going on, sorry I'm in the wrong forum but its the best forum so here I am, thanks in advance.

eric

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Eric,

I'm sure someone has more up-to-date info, but last month it was about 15,000:1, and more on the black market.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
1 US Dollar = 24,502.0 Zimbabwe Dollar
1 Zimbabwe Dollar (ZWD) = 0.00004081 US Dollar (USD)

That's the official rate, don't know the black market rate.

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Last month the common rate in stores was 32000 to 1 US. Their money is worth nothing and most items were bought with SA Rand. Shops did not want Zim $$'s

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I bought a steak dinner for three including drinks in Harare and used my Visa card to pay for it. I just got the billing was $1,000,5000 Zim and I paid $41 US. The pricing sure looked weird on my statement! Steaks were good and we had a nice time.

~Ann

Posts: 19549 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black Market 52-55000:1 it is now two mozambique mets to the zim dollar.

NB for the PH salaries argument, most local PH's are paid at the tourism rate of 32000:1

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does Zim money cost more to print than it is worth?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something to think about and be grateful for what we have:

Zimbabwe must be one of the few places in the world where the largest note,
a Z$500 - can't buy you a beer, which costs $650, but if that's not bad enough,
then consider that a roll of single-ply toilet paper costs $1000.

There are about 72 sections on the average roll, so it is cheaper to take your $1000,
change it into $10 notes, wipe with 72 of your notes, and keep the other $280 as change.
Financial Mail, 13 June 2003 issue, page 82.

(It is cheaper to wipe your ass with bank notes) .... (save the toilet paper)

Posts: 656 | Location: RSA | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
truvellshooter

good point!

bewildered bewildered bewildered thumb thumb thumb beer

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is bad advice from financial mail. They might know about money and business but they know nothing about toilet paper. By law in the countries governed by the southern african trade agreements a roll of single ply toilet paper must have 500 sheets. Do not ask why I know this it is a long story. :-))

Posts: 218 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rat Motor:
That is bad advice from financial mail. They might know about money and business but they know nothing about toilet paper. By law in the countries governed by the southern african trade agreements a roll of single ply toilet paper must have 500 sheets. Do not ask why I know this it is a long story. :-))

Rat Motor

Good advice,

BUT you forgot to mention the marketing aspect ...

The reason is because the toilet roll has a picture of the PRESIDENT on every sheet, therefore he gets more publicity per WIPE (-:

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last time I went to Zim, one of the guys in camp did indeed use Zim dollars for toilet paper! roflmao

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our largest proper note is Z$1000 - ie 2c

We generally use paper which used to be money- explanation - the governmunt had a huge pile of brand new yet useless Z$50 notes, so they overprinted on them and called them "bearer Cheques." These come in 5000, 10,000 ans 20,000 dollar denominations, but all carry the $50 markings in the corners. Also, bearer cheques were meant to be a short term expediency and so have an expiry date on them. Either december 2004 or december this year. Due to the shortage of actual cash money everybosy, including the reserve bank still treat the "expired" bearer cheques as cash. ie paper that used to be money.

A mate of mine draws 50 billion a day in cash for his gold buying busness. That is over three tonnes of $20,000 bearer cheques.

A air fair to the USA is now 28 million - and nobody in their right mind would accept a cheque in this country and we don't use credit cards.

We used to laugh about the zambian who went to the shops with a supermarket trolley full of kwatcha, a thief knocked him over, tipped the money out and just stol the trolley.

There are now 4 zim to the kwatcha nut

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Our largest proper note is Z$1000 - ie 2c

We generally use paper which used to be money- explanation - the governmunt had a huge pile of brand new yet useless Z$50 notes, so they overprinted on them and called them "bearer Cheques." These come in 5000, 10,000 ans 20,000 dollar denominations, but all carry the $50 markings in the corners. Also, bearer cheques were meant to be a short term expediency and so have an expiry date on them. Either december 2004 or december this year. Due to the shortage of actual cash money everybosy, including the reserve bank still treat the "expired" bearer cheques as cash. ie paper that used to be money.

A mate of mine draws 50 billion a day in cash for his gold buying busness. That is over three tonnes of $20,000 bearer cheques.

A air fair to the USA is now 28 million - and nobody in their right mind would accept a cheque in this country and we don't use credit cards.

We used to laugh about the zambian who went to the shops with a supermarket trolley full of kwatcha, a thief knocked him over, tipped the money out and just stol the trolley.

There are now 4 zim to the kwatcha nut

Ganyana

Please can you pass a message onto your reserve or central bank or Robert himself that I have a solution to the problem

Just cross off say 4 zeros or more whatever takes the fancy and that will make it so much easier to work ...

For that suggestion I want 1 trillion in commision please Eeker

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Balla Balla - that is why the bearer cheques were planned as just a temp measure. Unfortunately word leaked on what the government was planning and suddenly everybody was drawing and hording all the cash they could find. I had 2 million in $100's $50's and $5's. Howevery by the time for the revaluation excersise came virtually every bank account in the country was empty and everyone was looking forward to a 10,000% increase in the value of their cash on hand.

However, we can still laugh- see below!

HAPPY IN ZIM, even though.........
1. A Vienna sausage costs more that a three bedroom house cost 25 years ago

2. Fuel has increased by 59,000% in the last 18 months

3. If you want fuel you have to buy foreign currency on the black market (illegal) drive 120 kms, smuggle your cash through an international border, and fill a container. On return you have to pay duty in Zim $ on the fuel you have purchased but you are not allowed to take out sufficient Zim $ to pay the duty anyway

4. In August you are advised of the new minimum wages for July

5. Kariba Bream now costs $1,200,000 per kg which is double the price of imported Hake

6. Fees in Government schools are increased by 1,000% retrospective for 6 months, whilst private schools are restricted from increasing their fees at all

7. Colgate toothpaste in supermarkets is kept locked in a glass display cabinet otherwise it will be stolen

8. Reserve Bank officials enforce laws on illegal currency deals, yet the Bank uses illegally obtained currency to pay 20 satellite television subscriptions

9. New Zealand butter is half the price of Zimbabwe butter

10. Water rationing is introduced four months after the end of the rains when the dams are already almost empty

11. A $10 note is still in circulation and is worth 0,05 of one US cent

12. A $10 note costs over $3,000 to print

13. Toilet paper costs more than $10 a sheet - so it's cheaper to use the notes

14. Banks charge 300% interest on overdraft but pay 0,001% interest on current account balances

15. It is cheaper to hand deliver mail than to use the postal system

16. Government knocks down houses when there is a housing shortage

17. It can take up to a year to renew a firearms licence which is only valid for three years

18. A replacement drivers' licence can take up to three years

19. Electricity Supply Commission is unable to send out monthly accounts (because of the postal costs), so estimates the usage - a previous average usage of $250,000 p.m. is now estimated at $24 million

20. A monthly govt. pension of $135-oo will buy one small sip of Coke. But this is not an issue because you can't buy cokes anyway.

Pensioners living outside our borders would receive half one US cent per month

21. An ordinary washer costs 20 to 30 dollars. If you are lucky enough to find a coin; drill a hole in it! Our largest coin is $ 5.

If you can find a 1 cent coin you can really "coin" it. It is even made of copper! (value $27)

one of us
posted Hide Post
While in Vic Falls this July, we were advised not to change any currency. None of the stores accepted Zim dollars. None accepted credit cards either. The day we got there the exchange rate was 10,000 Zim D to 1 USD. When we left 4 days later it was 17,500 Zin D to 1 USD.
Never the less we had a great stay at the Victoria Falls Hotel. What was most surprising was the attitude on the people. They were genuinely happy to see us, were very friendly, and at no time did any of us feel unsafe or even uneasy. Considering the economic hardships that they are experiencing that is truely amazing. We would have riots long before things got nearly as bad as they are there.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
While in Vic Falls this July, we were advised not to change any currency. None of the stores accepted Zim dollars. None accepted credit cards either. The day we got there the exchange rate was 10,000 Zim D to 1 USD. When we left 4 days later it was 17,500 Zin D to 1 USD.
Never the less we had a great stay at the Victoria Falls Hotel. What was most surprising was the attitude on the people. They were genuinely happy to see us, were very friendly, and at no time did any of us feel unsafe or even uneasy. Considering the economic hardships that they are experiencing that is truely amazing. We would have riots long before things got nearly as bad as they are there.

Sure they were happy they needed the $$, its terrible whats happened there, I waa sthere in may and it sounds like it has gotten much worse since then

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote