New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari movie ?
 Login/Join

<Redbird>
posted
Years and years ago, I saw a movie about a safari in which, at the end, the hunters were having to flee an uprising ( presumably Mau Mau, told you it was a long time ago.) The PH had conviently taken along several sub-machine guns and they were able to shoot their way out. Does anyone else remember the movie? Name of it? We may all do well to review. Word ( yesterday) from the Vic Falls area is that they have seen no effect, as of yet, on their hunting, at least in the NE of Zim. and are recommending their clients come ahead.

posted Hide Post
Was Victor Mature the PH? And his adversary was a former tracker (or something to that effect)? That was called "Safari" (1956).

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

[This message has been edited by GeorgeS (edited 04-04-2002).]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Redbird>
posted
George, thanks. Your memory is better than mine. I will see if I can locate it. All I remember of the movie is in my post.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Set your DVR, it is on Turner Classic Movies, July 6th, 9:30 a.m.(Chicago).

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there something going on acutely in Zim I don't know about threatening travel plans?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
Is there something going on acutely in Zim I don't know about threatening travel plans?

The original post is from 2002. Kathi bumped it for those interested in the film.

Thanks Kathi -- I'll set the DVR.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not sure I've ever seen this movie but now we shall see.

DVR set.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathy, what kind of system do you have to find 8 year old posts, and retreive them for a current relative happening, damn girl you are good, not only a great travel agent. tu2

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What system? She just has a fantastic memory Wink
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathi-- it's been years since I've seen 'Safari' with Victor Mature and Janet Leigh. I may have to indulge myself on July 6 on TCM.

"Plot:
This tense, uncompromising African actioner affords Victor Mature one of his best screen roles. When his family is wiped out by Mau Mau insurrectionists, white hunter Mature assembles an expedition to track down the tribal leader responsible for the massacre. The British authorities don't want Mature to foment further difficulty by seeking revenge, so they revoke his hunting license. Still, he manages to embark upon his justice-seeking safari by hiring himself out as a guide for millionaire lion hunter Roland Culver and Culver's fiancee Janet Leigh. The grimness of the proceedings is occasionally leavened by an incongruously upbeat musical score. Safari was photographed on location by Ted Moore and directed by Terence Young, who'd later collaborate on the James Bond epic Thunderball (1965). ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide"

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=27676

Classic movie poster:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/i...8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Just finished watching it off the DVR -- man that was a nice lion!

Thanks again for the head's up.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Watched it yesterday - pretty good flick. Interesting that the PH at one point called for his Expree rifle and the 1000gr bullets. I didn't think the 700H&H had been invented yet...

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
There were a few glitches, but overall a good movie.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he said 900 grain bullets, but anyway.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anyone know where I can get a copy of this movie??

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try amazon. i've bought a few old movies through them.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote