Find
Notify
Tools

Africa top ten
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted
We all know which animals are ranked as the big five ... perhaps we can discuss the order of transcendency of each one of these five among themselves ... but which are the following five animals that conform Africa´s top ten ?

Opinions would be appreciated - aswell as reasons, of course !

For me (and not specifically in this order):

• Eland (BIG, smart and scarce ...)
  • Bongo (hard to hunt - really oppressive environment where it lives - and also scarce)
  • Sable (perhaps the most beautiful animal - at least antelope - on earth)
  • Sitatunga (always difficult )
  • Nyala (Mountain Nyala, perhaps the most exclusive trophy nowadays)

Five, did I said ?
    Let us make six, and then I would add Kudu Smiler!!

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
    Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.
  •  
    Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Afrikaander
    posted Hide Post
    BTW, I like antelopes very much !!! Cool

just behind the big felines ... the elephants ... the buffalos ... etc Wink

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
    Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
    posted Hide Post
    It is a toss up for me between the spiral horn antelope and the horse antelopes.

Even worse, then I start thinking about impalas, wildebeests, reedbucks...etc....

I think the five most popular plains game species hunted would include kudu, impala, gemsbok, warthog and blue wildebeest.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of ForrestB
    posted Hide Post
    Greater and lesser kudu should be on the list. Nyala are gorgeous. Roan is on my top 10 list. The various oryx should have some representation. Too many to chose from to stop at ten.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Riodot
    posted Hide Post
    Mine would be a little different..............

For me the top PG in order of what I want to take are:

Wildebeest - Every subspecies on the continent
    Eland
    Gemsbok
    Bushbuck
    Greater Kudu

I would really want to mix some little guys(duiker, etc) in with them.

And always - Warthog!

But on my 1st safari, I'll pick one and the rest will be "Trophies of Opportunity".

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bulldog563
    posted Hide Post
    Order in the Big Five;

1. Elephant
    2. Lion
    3. Buffalo
    4. Leopard
    5. Black Rhino

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bulldog563
    posted Hide Post
    If you are talking big antelopes I would say;

1. Lord Derby Giant Eland
    1. Bongo
    3. Sable
    4. Mountain Nyala
    5. Greater Kudu

Giant Eland and Bongo are tied in my book. If I had to give it to one of them it would be a fair chase hunt (read: No Dogs) for Bongo.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Widowmaker416
    posted Hide Post
    That's a tuff one! I like hunting all the critters of Africa! But if I had to make a list, let's see - - - - - - -

ONE - Bushbuck (you have to get into the thick underbrush alone the river, his domain)

Two - Eland (exciting to go after to say the least!)

THREE - Kudu (nothng more enjoyable then getting on the trail of a kudu bull, then getting that one opportunity!)

FOUR - Sable - (haven't taken one yet but for sure up there in the top!)

FIVE - Waterbuck (I've hunted these critter for 6 Safaris now, haven't gotten one yet, I'm waiting for that "special" one)

SIX - If there's going to be a number six, I'm going with the Klipspringer (I really enjoy climbing through the rock outcrops and getting up into the hills looking for these little "rock hopper!"

I wanted to put Baboons down as my number one animal, I know they don't have horns, but one of my favorite trophies in Africa, I just can't pass up a moment to go after a big old troop leader! Big Grin

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Forgetting about the single-species hunts like Bongo, the bigger ones that get me going are: kudu, Sable, Gemsbok and Nyala. The smaller ones are the Grant's Gazelle, East African Impala and any of the various Bushbucks.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Bushbuck
    Nyala
    Sable
    Roan
    Maybe Sitatunga - but haven't even seen one, or Kudu or eleand.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    For me-

Sable
    Steenbok bigger than 5"
    Bushbuck
    Vaal Rhebok
    Roan

These are my favorites.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    In southern Africa I would take any of the tiny ten, but in order of preference:

Blue Duiker
    Damaraland Dik-Dik
    Suni
    Red Duiker
    Sharpes Grysbok
    Cape Grysbok
    etc.
    Funny how they start with the smallest and go upward.

Most people can see Eland but the little ones you have to really look for them - I am taking nothing from the Eland they are great hunts also.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Wink
    posted Hide Post
    I second Bulldog563's list. If you have hunted and taken those five you have done some serious hunting in what is left of wildest Africa.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of jbderunz
    posted Hide Post
    I second Bulldog563's list and Wink's.

The eland is done, the bongo in 4 weeks if all is going smoothly.
    Then if God help, sitatunga and Giant forest Hog.

J B de Runz
    Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Slingster
    posted Hide Post
    Among the more common game I'd pick as my "second five" (in no particular order): greater kudu, sable, gemsbok, nyala, and bushbuck.

My "third five" would be: eland, zebra, waterbuck, blue wildebeest, and impala.

---
    Eric Ching
    "The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of MacD37
    posted Hide Post
    IMO, there is no BIG FIVE any longer, and most of the rarer antilope don't interest me much. the most common of the plains game are representitive of AFRICA!

If I had unlimited funds, and could only take 10 animals in Africa, total, then the list would begin with an Elephant bull! From there it would next be a good Lion, then a good Leopard, and finally all the Buffalo I could aford! The cape Buffalo is the reason I don't have the others of the BIG FOUR, I can't seem to leave him alone long enough to hunt the others. All plains game, to me are simply targets of oppertunity, while hunting Buffalo. So the 10 would be 10 Buffalo! Or five buffalo, and one each of the others, Ele, lion, Leopard, Hippo.

I know that wasn't what was asked, but that is the way I feel about hunting in Africa.

I suppose if I had to concentrate on animals other than the big four, they would be a Sittunga, a Puku, a blue, and a black wildebeast, a nyala, heartebeast, and Gemsbok. For some reason, I have absolutely no desire to take KUDU, or Sable, and I already have most of the common plains game. So those above would get the shots. I could, however, live the rest of my life just fine hunting nothing but Cape Buffalo! Weard, HUH? beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
    DRSS Charter member
    "If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    There are several different ways to approach the idea of the top five or ten animals outside the Big Five.

You could describe the five most identifiable African animals no trophy room should be without:
    1. Impala
    2. Kudu
    3. Gemsbok
    4. Hartebeeste
    5. Wildebeeste

You could describe the ten small wonders, the anthesis of the Big five.
    1. Clipspringer
    2. Vaal Rhebok
    3. Bush Duiker
    4. Grysbok
    5. Steinbok
    6. Dik Dik
    7. Blue Duiker
    8. Mt Reedbuck
    9. Oribi
    10. Puku

You could describe the five "hardest" to take animals outside the Big Five.

1. Mt Nyala (Ethiopia)
    2. Bongo (CAR)
    3. Sitatunga (Tanz)
    4. Roan/Sable (Tanz, Zim)
    5. Eland (RSA, Zim, Tanz)

The thing that makes taking the last five so difficult is three of them live in different and dangerous venues. They are truly exotic.

The tiny ten are difficult because they live in several different venues, they are small targets, you have to hunt them because they just don't happen by, and there are twice as many of them.

The five "most common" are easy to collect, but its difficult to collect a good one. You can get all five on one hunt; however, to get five really nice trophy animalls requires some luck. One of the hardest to get a good example of is the most common, the impala. How many do you see with the horns parallel or rolled out? You really don't want to take a kudu until a second or third trip when you have learned what a really good one looks like. The difference between a kudu, a good kudu and a really good kudu is not horn length but how far out the tip is on the third curve. Unless of course its worn and that is another story.

What takes us back, again and again, is learning about the different animals and seeking them out as part of the challenge.

Although of the animals listed above, I have not taken Mt Nyala, Bongo and Sitatunga, my next trip is focused only on one of these animals, Sitatunga. My next quests, in addition to Sitatunga, are Grant's Gazelle, Thompson Gazelle, Lesser Kudu, and Gerenuk. The gazelles are beautiful and graceful. The Sitatunga and Gerenuk are exotic and weird, and the Lesser Kudu is a nice counterpoise to the Greater Kudu. I am not adventurous enough to go into Ethiopia or Cameroon or CAR right now, but I hope I can hold together long enough to get back to Tanz for a shot at the species above. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Afrikaander
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by kudude:

You could describe the five "hardest" to take animals outside the Big Five.

(....)

The thing that makes taking the last five so difficult is three of them live in different and dangerous venues. They are truly exotic.

(.....)

What takes us back, again and again, is learning about the different animals and seeking them out as part of the challenge.

(...)

Kudude

Absolutely !!!

Couldn´t agree more Smiler...

But actually, I think that that´s a somehow subjective (personal) appreciaton, that´s why I wanted to read other opinions - and (more important !) the reasons that sustained them Wink

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
    Picture of Wink
    posted Hide Post
    Kudude, I would replace your Cape Eland with Lord Derby Eland in CAR. Otherwise, it also makes for a good list.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    The five African trophies that every African hunter should have:

Kudu - It's the horns, the corkscrew
    Zebra- can you say rug
    Warthog - no other mount will get more comments
    Gemsbuck - again the horns, like two rapiers
    Impala - the whitetail of Africa

Each one of these scream Africa. They are classic and classy. I am 4 for 5, Gemsbuck has, so far, eluded me. Next time!

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Wink
    posted Hide Post
    I think the waterbuck also screams Africa and has a regal bearing to boot but it doesn't seem to get on people's lists.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Here is my top ten list. I have a couple antelope ahead of some of the big five.
    1 Mountain Nyala
    2 Lord Derby Eland
    3 Bongo
    4 Lion
    5 Elephant
    6 Lesser Kudu
    7 Roan
    8 Gerenuk
    9 Leopard
    10 Sable

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    For me, I would think:
    1. Bull Elephant
    2. Bongo
    3. Mt. Nyala
    4. Lion
    5. Cape Buffalo
    6. Lord Derby Eland
    7. Sitatunga
    8. Leopard
    9. Nyala
    10. Greater Kudu

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    For me it goes like this:

First priority: elephant, any elephant.

Second priority: go back and hunt more elephant.

Third priority: other big stuff, such as buff or hippo.

Fourth priority: anything else, such as PG, baboon, etc.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I was able to take numerous world-class plains game animals on my first trip over to Namibia. I still want (or need) to take buffalo, leopard, sable, nyala, bushbuck, mt. reedbuck, and lechwe so at least a couple more trips seem to be in order.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of juanpozzi
    posted Hide Post
    congratulations my friend very good post,my top ten elephant,lion,leopard,buffalo,rhino,hyppo specially hunted in dry land,mountain nyala,lor derby eland,bongo,red forest buffalo.Any of the hogs hunted with dogs and knives can be here ,juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
    DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
    DRSS--SCI
    NRA
    IDPA
    IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of jbderunz
    posted Hide Post
    1) Mountain Nyala (Ethiopia)
    2) Bongo (CAR)
    3) Giant forest hog (CAR)
    4) Sitatunga
    5) Elephant with the bow

J B de Runz
    Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of D99
    posted Hide Post
    Here's mine.

1. Elephant
    2. Lord Derby Eland (the grandest game animal in the world)
    3. Mountain Nyala (death at 10K feet)
    4. Lion (A big black maned old nasty)
    5. Giant Forest Hog (the hog of the world)
    6. Bongo (21 days chasing an 700 pound orange bushbuck with pygmies)
    7. Nubian Ibex or Aoudad on native soil.
    8. Sitatunga (swamp thing)
    9. Leopard (Mr spots, a black one would be fabulous)
    10. Hippo or Crocodile

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of D99
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TerryR:
    The five African trophies that every African hunter should have:

Kudu - It's the horns, the corkscrew
    Zebra- can you say rug
    Warthog - no other mount will get more comments
    Gemsbuck - again the horns, like two rapiers
    Impala - the whitetail of Africa

Each one of these scream Africa. They are classic and classy. I am 4 for 5, Gemsbuck has, so far, eluded me. Next time!

TerryR

Terry Bushbuck are the whitetails of Africa. Impala are well impala!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I Love the super hides of Giraffe and Zebra, soooo AFRICA!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post