Find
Notify
Tools

Is Africa your favorite?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
I know a lot of folks from AR and from all over the world that have hunted in Africa and well all over the world.

Some of them think Africa is the end all and would rather hunt it than anything else.

Some of them go to Africa like it, but would rather hunt the mountains, the forrest or something I really do not understand whitetails.

For me Africa is interesting, but having lived there and hunted there, and spent quite a bit of time there I only like it about 1/10th as much as I like hunting in Europe. I also prefer Alaska over Africa about 20 to one. I think Asia is going to sour me on Africa farther as my experience goes up.

I think if I could have experienced 1950s and 1960s Kenya, maybe I could be swayed a bit. I have heard that the Selous is as close as it could be.

Where do you guys fit in?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I could hunt only 1 more time, I would want it to be in Botswana in the Okavango Delta.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Alaska is my favorite -- by far.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
There is still something about trekking through the bush among dangerous game with a PH and a Tswana or Ndorobo or (you fill it in) tracker which makes Africa such a unique place for me.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Africa is like a cross between the Old Testament and Jurassic Park. To me, Alaska doesn't touch it.

Besides, the weather is good. You can sleep in a bed and eat at a table. Your clothes get washed once a day and you can take a shower.

I can book a 15 day hunt in Alaska for a small fortune and shoot a single bear, or a single moose. It will drizzle all the time and I will be cold and wet. Or I can book a 15 day hunt in Africa and get several different species, including dangerous game.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

posted Hide Post
If I could only hunt once more it would be right here in Penns woods for whitetail.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
To me the appeal of Africa is the unexpected. You can be tracking wildebeest and run across buffalo spore and suddenly you are on a buffalo hunt. Or you can be tracking a herd of zebra and find some buffalo tracks and you are on a buffalo hunt. Or you can be following a herd of impala and find some buffalo tracks and ...

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never been to Alaska. But I have hunted in 7 states and Old Mexico. For me my plains game hunt in South Africa was over the top!

I bet the Zim Buffalo hunt in '09 might top that Wink

Posts: 42111 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted in several countries and states (Alaska included). To me, Africa is by far the best out there. The people, the game, the organization, the history, the ease of doing it make it my only future hunting destination.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Africa, Alaska and the lower 48 and I think I experienced the ultimate hunt this year. Chasing bugling elk with a bow in New Mexico. I haven’t hunted DG yet, but I have hunted around them (trying to stay away from them). I’m pretty sure that would be one of the most exciting things to do, but bugling back and forth to a +300 class bull and trying to get within 15-40 yards is the ultimate. There is just something about going one-on-one with a flying stick that can’t be explained. Especially when it’s on Pubic Land and it’s truly a wild, free animal.

I’m not a “true†bowhunter (I love my rifles) and I’m saving up for a buffalo/hippo combo hunt now, but for the rest of my life I’ll be putting in for New Mexico elk tags and hopefully I’ll be lucky enough to draw another one.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough question seeing I have only hunted in Africa and Oz.

It's the diversity of game in Africa that does it for me, you never know what you will bump into. Also I prefer hot weather.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with both Indy and Pichon1. I too have had enough rain run down the crack of my ass for two lifetimes.
Chipolopolo

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
No question. Africa by a landslide.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Africa dangerous game for me. I would rather hunt bugling elk than plainsgame.

Now I have an AK Brown Bear hunt next Sept - maybe I will have a new idea then when I hunt DG somewhere else.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive been blessed to go to Africa several times and loved every minute, but I'd always rather hunt Elk in the mountains of Oregon with all my friends. !!!!!

Posts: 121 | Location: Creswell Oregon | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted Alaska twice, New Zealand, South America, Canada, Africa 9 times.
For the money nothing beats Africa. I love to pull the trigger. Good weather, good food, dry bed.
and in the right place there is nothing like dangerous game. NOTHING!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seth,

There is no comparison between African hunting and anyother type of hunt. I just returned from an antelope hunt with some clients and throughly enjoyed it. We had a great time but it was not much of an adventure. Next year we're off to both Mozambique and Botswana. Now that is going to be an adventure to which the hunting may almost be secondary. Africa to me is just more everything I want when booking a hunt.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12959 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Alaska,Canada, and most of the Western states for years, also three countries in Central and South America, and I love them all for hunting everything from doves up! However, the real hunting starts in Southern Africa. Every animal in Africa is something you find no place else, for the most part, and in all the parts I've hunted, whether you are hunting a small bush pig or a roague elephant, you never know what may pop out of the bush at any minute! The only other place where this is even close to the same, is on the coast of Alaska where the Brown bear, are top of the food chain, and they know it! Still as much as I love Alaska, it can't hold a light for Africa to read by! Read my quote in my sig line, and that will tell you which is my favorite! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I have hunted in 12 countries on six continents, including three Canadian provinces, fifteen U.S. states, and nearly two dozen trips to Africa. My only hunt in Asia was in Mongolia and it was an experience of a lifetime. Unfortunately, such hunts are for the young and fit. At my age, 72, southern Africa gets my vote.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with TerryR, the Okavango was my first Africa trip 20 years ago and would like to do it again.
Old Mexico whitetails, Big bodied Alberta bucks, Arizona bulls with bow....there all great but Africa is living a dream, hell, it's better than sex! I pity the person that never gets to experience Africa at least once in his life.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chipolopolo:
I agree with both Indy and Pichon1. I too have had enough rain run down the crack of my ass for two lifetimes.
Chipolopolo

As they say Mate, "there's nothing worse than a wet crack." dancing beer

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked in disturbed areas in Africa off and on for several years and most of the Africa I've seen I despised. Much of it was simply horrific.

But I love the place for it's absolutely remarkable natural beauty and many of its people.

I have only hunted there twice, but I can't think of any hunt anywhere that I would rather do than a dangerous game hunt in Africa, preferably the Selous, although I'd love to hunt the Okavango, just to have experienced it.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh my good friend Pichon, you are normally oh so correct but this time, sorry, but I much prefer a wet crack to a dry crack. clap

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After hunting Africa (PG) for the first time, I'd have to say that Alaska still turns my crank, but I'd have to qualify that. To me, the ultimate experience is still being dropped off, in the middle of nowhere, while living out of a tent, and nothing to rely on, except you, and your partners wits. No cell or sat phones. The rush you feel, when that bush plane drones out of earshot, can't be equalled, IMO.

Now, for all out enjoyment, i.e. food, drink. weather, and exotic critters, oh yeah, Africa has got it all.

I just hope I can continue to do both, and eternally gratefully that I was able to move to, live, and hunt in Alaska as a young buck! Wouldn't trade it for all the game in Africa. That said, I can't wait to go back to Africa!

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh my good friend Pichon, you are normally oh so correct but this time, sorry, but I much prefer a wet crack to a dry crack. clap

Point taken Mate.

I suppose we are refering to different parts of the anatomical geography. If I was to move my point of reference a tad south and change the gender I would whole heartedly agree with you. dancing beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beer

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

have a crack at it boys Cool lol

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Africa multiple times and I truly love it however. I have to admit that I am growing weary of many aspects of African hunting. The number one thing I'm growing weary of in Africa is being treated like a F...ING ATM machine.

When looking at the big picture however I'd have to say that Africa is hard to beat but so is Alaska Colorado Texas New Mexico and everywhere else I've had the privilege to hunt. I love wild places and I especially love surveying those places with a pair of well worn boots on my feet and trusty old friend of a rifle in my hands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I've hunted Africa multiple times and I truly love it however. I have to admit that I am growing weary of many aspects of African hunting. The number one thing I'm growing weary of in Africa is being treated like a F...ING ATM machine.

:thumb
It seems that any trip, hunting or otherwise gives me the same impression----$$$$$$$

But Africa still is a kick in the ass to hunt beer

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dangerous Game I would give Africa a slight edge, but any thing else Alaska, or Western U.S. would be my choice.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older I get the less I like the cold. For this and other reasons give me Africa!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
To me the appeal of Africa is the unexpected. You can be tracking wildebeest and run across buffalo spore and suddenly you are on a buffalo hunt. Or you can be tracking a herd of zebra and find some buffalo tracks and you are on a buffalo hunt. Or you can be following a herd of impala and find some buffalo tracks and ...

This pretty much nails it for me. And, in addition, you see more game in one day than you will in an entire season in most places in the states.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of variables come into answering this question. There are good things and bad things about hunting anywhere.

To me Africa scores high on variety of game as well as availability of dangerous game (if you can afford that).

Sadly, a lot of African hunting is very cruiser oriented, and with the wrong PH, all you'll pretty much do is bounce around in the cruiser. On my last African hunt, the PH's idea of stalking an animal was to drive up to it, jump out of the car and have at it. Not exactly my idea of a good hunt.

As my last African hunt was, I'd rather hunt elsewhere - I *love* the American West, I love hunting on the prairie! But, again, only if you get out of the car...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote