Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H as Second Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I'm headed for Zambia in September of '06 and will take my 416 Rigby using 400 Gr Barnes TSX handloads for lion, buffalo and hippo. I'll also bring my 375 H&H as my "light" rifle. I've choosen it as it will do fine on the plains game but will also give me some peace of mind while in dangerous game country.

My question is, which weight Barnes TSX bullet would you use in the 375, 270 or 300 grain?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 300gr. would be preference. The extra mass may help it penetrate more deeply, offsetting some of the braking effect caused by the expansion of these bullets.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
For general PG hunting, I would go w/ the 270gr. There is some merit to using 300gr as a backup to your .416 though, one load for everything.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
SBT: I think the 270gr Fail Safe or TSX would serve you well as your "light rifle." My friend Todd used his with 300gr Swift A Frames to take everything from buffalo to impala and a hell of a shot at a kudu at 352 yards. The 270 TSXs higher BC would help out to, but I thik I'd go with the 300gr TSX as I thik that's "the" bullet weight for the 375. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I took a 416 Rigby and a 375H&H to Tanzania. Used 400 grain Barnes X in the 416 Rigby and 300 grain Swift A-frame in the 375 H&H. If it was me I would stay with the 300 grain bullet in the 375H&H. I shot some plains game with the 375 and she used it on a buffalo and hippo. I took several animals w/ both rifles that were quartering away, and I like the heavier bullet for these shots. If I was going to use a 270 grain bullet (instead of the 300 grain) I would use the 270 grain Barnes TSX.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
I took my .375 only. I shot Buff and Large and small plains game with the one gun/bullet combo,300gn Barnes X. Never let me down,although i did track the buff for 2 Hours after hitting him. Also lost a waterbuck, but that was due my poor shooting, not the gun/ammo.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Scott,

My 375 and Barnes X 300gr and Bridger solids
all shoot the same...I like the damage the X bullets do....

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
How is the factory Hornady ammo in 270 gr SP for Africa? My dad used this for a Alberta Mulie and it was pretty impressive to say the least. African Animals are a whole new ball of wax though. Any experiences?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
If this wouldn't be good what would you guys suggest? It will be used on a 10 day Buff/PG hunt in TZ. Any suggestions?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I would shoot the one that is the most accurate (assuming both feed perfectly). It won't matter to the animal which one you hit it with, it ain't gonna like it.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crap...what a ride!"

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
How good are the Hornady 270 SP and 300gr Solids in the grand scheme of things? Is there a better ammo out there?

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I would stick with only one bullet 300gr. and solids and not have to worry about sighting and remember bullet impact..
In 02 I shot all plains game with 300gr from 375 from 100yds to 400..zebra, bushbuck 2, wart hog, wildbeeste, and kudu big holes and crushing impact...Don't have to worry about wounding...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have used 270 grain bullets in my .375s, except for solids. I have used 300 grain solids.

At close range, the points of impact of the two different weight bullets have not varied enough to make any difference.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Sounds good as the primary rifle too. 300 gr.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott

Having done the same basic hunt you and John are going on twice I do have some opinions. First I'd leave the 416 for buffalo only. The lion and the hippo will require a precise shot and it should be easier to deliver with a softer recoiling rifle. Plus the 375 will blow a smaller hole in the hippo skull if you want it for a trophy. Also I would put a medium power variable on the 375 because the lion will in all probability show up in the last minutes of light and the increase magnification will be a big help. Additionally you'll find 6X or so helpful to make that brain shot on the hippo.

I would stick with the 300 TSX as it will work for everything. You won't need any solids unless you try for croc or grybok.

What are your dates? I have 3 buffalo hunters in Chanjusi through Sept. 1. It is possible you may be able to use some of their hippo and buff for lion bait.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Your advise is sound. Actual hunting days are September 1-21.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Scott,

I am loading the Barnes triple shock 300grs for all game but I am also taking a range finder to know exact range to baits for croc, leopard and lion...

Mike

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Mike,

If you don't mind, what load are you using?

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are your dates? I have 3 buffalo hunters in Chanjusi through Sept. 1. It is possible you may be able to use some of their hippo and buff for lion bait.

I wonder who those intrepid sportsmen are and if they can shoot straight? Big Grin

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm,

Who is going with you? That would be great to be able to use some of your buffalo meat. I am a little concerned about getting in a rush to kill some bait and not waitingfor a good buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Scott,

I have shot H414 75grs.

RL 15 70grs
They were tweeked a 10th of a gr. either way...to see if they would do better..

Mike