New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which double rifle to purchase ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking at two double rifles to choose from - a new Searcy .450/.400 3" ordered from Butch, or a classic J. Wilks .475 #2 that seems to be in excellent condition. Based on (1) usability and function, and (2) value for the dollar, which is my best choice ? I currently have a .470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis. Thanks for your input.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:
I'm looking at two double rifles to choose from - a new Searcy .450/.400 3" ordered from Butch, or a classic J. Wilks .475 #2 that seems to be in excellent condition. Based on (1) usability and function, and (2) value for the dollar, which is my best choice ? I currently have a .470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis. Thanks for your input.

If the Wilkes is in top nick it is a no brainer. It is a better made rifle and will always be worth more than a Searcy.

A 475#2 is a grand cartridge and loading components are around. It is not as common as the 400 3", which is probably the most popular caliber ever made in a DR, but it is available.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That would be a hard choice for me.

I presume that the rifle is a 475#2 NE (.483), not a 475#2 Jeffery (.488)?
I like the 475#2 Jeffery. In an 11 pound rifle it is on the cuff of what I can tolerate in recoil. It is an elephant kill'n Mother!

On the other hand, I own a 450/400 3 inch double and to me it is the best of both worlds.
Recoil doesn't beat you up, small enough (.411 caliber is what Butch uses) for ease of carry and more useful on a wider variety of game. Yet it is big enough to swat the big stuff that comes along.

If the Searcy has 26" barrels, that makes it even easier for me to choose the Searcy. And I am a big English double rifle fan!

A friend from Corpus took his new 450/400 3 inch Searcy to Africa TWICE this year and was very impressed with it's killing power and penetration, especially against elephants.

On this go around, I say go for the Searcy.
Just my opine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the Wilks on Gunsamerica?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes ......

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Frank,
I know, you know this, but if you buy the Wilks, you need to have it throughly checked out by someone like JJ Parodeau.
If they won't allow this then you need to find another rifle!
Have you seen any pictures of the rifle?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I'd certainly be reluctant to consider a $15,500K double that the seller didn't have someone post pictures of! That's just me, however!

If you simply look at the chambering, all else being equal, I'd be for the 450/400 3"! The 475#2 is a hard case to find, in quality brass. I have two boxes of 475#2 NE new HDS brass, made by BELL, and the last Bertram I bought, half was un usable. I have to use the 475#2 brass to make cases for an old black powder 500/450#1 Express Westley Richards double, and that stuff is hard to find at times, even most times! Add in the different bullet diameters in the 475#2 and you have a problem.

The 450/400NE 3" are easy to find, in most cases, and the two diameters (.408"-.411") are easy to find from several makers!

It is true that the old Britt will hold or increase in value over time, in case you want to sell. But I would be surprised if that rifle will ever be worth more than $15.5K, no matter how long you hold it, because of the chambering, the price asked here is top dollar, unless it is extra fine condition. The B. Searcy will be a NEW rifle made to fit you, and I find people who have a rifle made to fit, rarely sell them. The Searcy is far more usable, in the 450/400 3", with a .411 bore. The recoil is far less punishing, and just as deadly, and I'd bet far more accurate, and if you get the PH model, with a couple of up grades, will still be cheaper that the Wilks! Of course all this depends on the condition, and case with acesseries that comes with the Wilks, and of course it is simply YOUR choice! If the Wilks was another more desirable chambering, then it would be harder to choose for me, but in the case here, my choice would be the 450/400 3" double from B. Searcy, with a wood upgrade. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Frank

Thanks for starting this topic- the same question has been rolling around in my head these past few weeks. Specifically, whether the 450/400 is the way to go, and whether to go new (Searcy) or used in a quality rifle.

The only wild card is how long it takes to have one made from Searcy. I will call when they open up, but if anyone knows, I would appreciate the info.

I also think Searcy will pick up a bunch of work at the upcoming shows, so better to get in line now (says I to myself).

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank:

You might want to consider the Scott 475#2 for sale at Champlins for $13.5K. George Caswell knows this gun well and is high on it. I would consider it over an unknown. There are some old English guns out there that are real lemons. If I was in the market, I would buy this one.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=41855602

Check out the Wilkes before you jump to far into the Searcy Wagon. cheers

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Frank,
I know, you know this, but if you buy the Wilks, you need to have it throughly checked out by someone like JJ Parodeau.
If they won't allow this then you need to find another rifle!
Have you seen any pictures of the rifle?

The pictures are on there now.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
There's also a thread I started (before I knew about this one) on Nitroexpress.com. I've contacted the seller and should have some additional info via fax later today. If I don't make an offer( Wink ) I'll let you all know what I find out.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ordered today, the Searcy would NOT be ready until Sept./Oct. 2006, per Butch. Also, Butch is introducing a new double in January at the Safari conventions that will look like an old Westley Richards, with case coloring & some gold lettering, and priced right.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Frank!

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Rusty, The Searcy would also be my choice in 450/400
Doc52

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the new Searcy double rifle action?????

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, I have NOT yet ordered a new Searcy; I was only responding to the question of lag time for a new order per what I was told by Butch (but I'm 99% sure I'll order before the Feb. price increase). The new Searcy will be shown at one of the Safari conventions, I was told. It's supposed to look like the old Westley Richards with a case colored receiver & a little gold lettering, like on the tang where it says SAFE. Butch says he thinks it'll become his best seller ..... I'd probably agree. Case colored receivers seem to be the classic standard.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:
First, I have NOT yet ordered a new Searcy; I was only responding to the question of lag time for a new order per what I was told by Butch (but I'm 99% sure I'll order before the Feb. price increase). The new Searcy will be shown at one of the Safari conventions, I was told. It's supposed to look like the old Westley Richards with a case colored receiver & a little gold lettering, like on the tang where it says SAFE. Butch says he thinks it'll become his best seller ..... I'd probably agree. Case colored receivers seem to be the classic standard.

And what is this new model rumored to cost?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
$2,500. more than the PH Model ...... it'll have the case colored receiver, a little gold lettering, and upgraded wood. That's the story I got straight from the horse's mouth ......

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE