New
Find
Notify
Tools

LD Eland Hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So who and where for the best value hunts? I know no hunt for LD is going to be cheap....

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prices vary a lot between the different outfitters.
I hunt and guide on a communal area south of Poli. We share a boarder with Zone 13 and 18. I think we offer pretty good valued hunts, that are hard to beat if I compare with our neighbours.
If you need info please let me know.

Regards,

Dennis

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,
The high end prices are in the 55k range. The low end prices are in the 20k range. Anything lower than 20k I'd say is a bit of a gamble (in my opinion). Your best bet is to sometimes wait for a last minute cancellation but you just never know when that is going to happen. PM me if you would like more info.

Cheers
Thierry

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Mark, keep Thierry in your contacts

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I probably did one of the more expensive ones with Mayo Oldiri in their Dijibao concession.

We saw multiple eland there. I didn't connect due to horseS$%^ shooting on my part. I then finally got mine at Mayo N'Duel where I was transferred after the first week.

If you can put in the work, and shoot straight, I think you will get one with them.

There are a number of hunt reports here about Lord Derby in the last year...I am not sure why so many of us went about the same time, but we did.

I have heard nothing but good about Thierry, and since he does this regularly if he wants to put you on a cancellation list, and you have the ability to go on short notice, that is probably the best way to get a deal.

I would be a bit careful on budget hunts otherwise- this is not an easy hunt! Ask about success rates and get some references, both guys who were successful and not. Also, a concern is that as this is French colonial Africa, make sure your PH is fluent in your native language...

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Wait for a good deal with a top outfitter.

I was offered a LD Eland in CAR in 2012. I could have gone for less than $25k, all in, which was half price.

I was offered and accepted a half price cancellation on bongo this year. Top area and top operator.

It happens. Just be on the lookout and be ready when the opportunity presents.

And, keep in touch with Thierry.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Above a hunt report from one of our clients who hunted this year with us in Cameroon.

For some reason LD Eland and Bongo hunts seem to be very high in demand. If either of these species are on your list, then dont wait. Cameroon is the last viable country left where these can be hunted and who knows how long more it will last.

A LD eland is truly one of Africa's greatest trophies. This is my bull from 2014.

West Africa (Cameroon, Burkina and Benin) also offers great hunts for Savannah buffalo and other species of antelope unique to West Africa.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntcameroon.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote