New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Leopard hunt.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Over the last few weeks I've looked at a 6 or 8 Zimbabwe leopard hunts, for 2006 and by the time you add air fare most of them are 19 to 20 thousand dollars. Being a middle class family with a house payment and a daughter in college thats just more than we can put into any one hunt. This is what we are looking for but are open to suggestions to anything that is similair:
1, A 12 to 14 day hunt in Zimbabwe.
2, I'd like to hunt leopard, eland, tsessbe and maybe wildebeest.
3, LaRita wants to hunt kudu and impala.
4, When everything is said and done, air fare, dipping, transfer fees, packing, bait animals, 2% Zim. fees.... in order for us to afford this we need to keep the total cost as close to $15k as possible.

So does any one out there have a hunt, or know of a leopard hunt, that a working couple can afford?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Mark,

It appears that most Zimbabwe operators charge about the same money to field the same sort of hunts. No matter who you decide to go with in Zimbabwe, I would certainly want to get comfortable with their hunting proceedures.

Namibia is less money, but the odds of getting a leopard might not be as good, and maybe you won't get as big a cat. Still, some big toms do come out of that country. In Namibia, I'd feel very good about hunting leopard specifically with Jan Oelofse Safaris, just as long as Steve Tors was reserved as my PH. Steve knows exactly what he's doing (thirty plus years of experience), and he can deliver the goods. Best odds for success at a reasonable price my opinion, and Jan is an extremely honest man and an expert safari company owner and operator who you can trust.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Allen. Do you know if Jan has a web site? I'll do a search and see what I come up with.

Found it http://janoelofsesafaris.com/

<allen day>
posted
Mark, here's Jan's website:

www.janoelofsesafaris.com

AD

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I really recommned HHK and Lemco. There are other good concessions there as well. HHK has some very experienced PH's for leopard. As usual, I am happy to help.

I also have a good place in RSA but the pricing is very similar.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I was going to say Steve Tors hasn't been hunting that long, but then I counted back to my first Africa hunt with Steve at Jan's -- and it does tote up to 30. Wink

Namibia applied for and had their leopard quota increased (doubled IIRC) in 2004, and quite a few folks are taking leopards there now. I think perhaps they learned how to hunt them more effectively.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Mark, your "fixed costs" in either Zim or Namibia for the trophies you have listed is at least $6500. To this, add the flights x2 plus the d/p and other, which is another $4000 minimum (forget a charter). This leaves $4500 for day rates for the two of you, or $320/d on a 14-day hunt, or a more realistic $375/d for 12-days. This means either: (a) a very marginal and potentially risky private area in Zim, or (b) Namibia farm hunt. IF these were my only two choices, I'd take option-b personally.

As the most expensive hunt is one you need to do more then once - the other option is to beg/borrow the extra ~$4k...or can the cougar hunt and forget about some of the other species (such eland which is not cheap) and focus on leopard. Maybe look for non-trophy (cull) animals instead which might be less such as on a farm in Namibia.

Maybe there is something out there for you that meets your criteria, I hope so. I'm not 50 yet, and I'm no expert Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like it was just said, $15K minus $2K each for airfare is now $11K and figure a minimum of $1K for packing shipping (probably more) you are down to $10K and you haven't started to pay for the hunting and trophy fees.

If you can find someone who will let your wife shoot an animal or two on your quota maybe you can get close but ????? For leopard you need 14-days--MINIMUM. Daily rate for you and your wife as an observer will total at least $500 per day or $7K and if you get a leopard, another $3K trophy fee....and your $15K is all gone and you didn't take a kudu ($800) or an eland ($1500) or any impala ($200 each) or even a warthog ($400).

There are some package hunts available where you get a rebate if you don't get a cat but they make me a little nervous as they are basically giving you back the trophy fee included in the package. You might try Tony da Costa for one of these.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony da Costa

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

You should consider Namibia strongly. I have a PH that is near 100 % on good leopard. He is a CAT HUNTER. I'll send you a pm. Keith

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You might like to take a look at the Botswana page of my website.......we can offer you a 14 day Leopard hunt (in a fabulous hunting lodge) for US$600 a day plus licence & trophy fee.

Feel free to send me an e-mail if it's of interest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark

I found this today and thought about your prior post for leopard and plainsgame. I know nothing about this outfitter but the price is within your range.

http://www.safarisandquilts.com/page53.html

12 day Leopard And Plains Game Combination: Price: U$9300, 1 x 1, All inclusive: Accommodation and meals for one hunter. Trophies included- 1 Leopard, 1 Kudu, 1 Oryx up to 40â€, 1 Hartebeest, 1 Springbuck, 1 Blesbuck, 1 Warthog, 1 Steenbok, 1 x Duiker, 1 x Baboon, 1 x Jackal. All animals are guaranteed or money back on animals not taken

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Have you factored in what the taxidermy bill may be if you do mount the leopard (life-size?)and plainsgame heads?

Good Luck with your search.

Posts: 64 | Location: Lowcountry, SC | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

I'm paying $750 a day for 15 days for a leopard/buffalo combo hunt in the Save Valley Conservancy in Zimbabwe next month. Trophy fees are $2800 for the leopard and 2200 for the Buffalo. Bait is $85 for each ewe impala we shoot.

Butchloc hunted with the same outfitter and shot a 210 pound leopard. In fact, he is 34 for 36 on leopard.

If you can get to the Save, this is a great area for leopard and has some of the best plains game in Zimbabwe, so I've heard.

Also, the PH I hunt with in Namibia charges a flat $8,000 for a 14-day leopard hunt, including bait and trophy fee. He has a very high success rate, especially in August and September. Plains game can be added for the trophy fee (and he has great plains game).

Let me know if you want any info on either of these.

GAH

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've never hunted leopard so don't claim any expertise or experience. I do know however that one PH I have hunted with seemed to have a good reputation on cats. His name is Jan Dumont and he can be reached at mwshumba@mweb.co.za He isn't particularly good at responding quickly to e-mail. Also, this is ranch hunting in RSA which may not be what you are looking for. On the other hand he charges reasonable prices.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bongocongo,

No I haven't, if I get it on the ground then I'll make a plan on how to pay for mounting it.

If your asking about shipping cost, then I can tell you we just paid $1650 to ship 7 horns, skins and skulls from Namibia to Alabama.

GAHUNTER, you have a PM.

Wink, thanks I'll look into it.