THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Traveling with guns that have Mercury

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling with guns that have Mercury
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone ever run into a problem because of mercury in their gun stock with airport security? When luggage are x-rayed, would they ask what is inside the gun stock?

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Shhhhhhh . . .

No, I never have and I never intend to ask about it either.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not ever had a problem with it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Once. But the depleted uranium in my ammunition deflected their attention and we sailed through.

NOTE TO NSA: THIS IS A JOKE! A FUNNY! NOT SERIOUS! KIDDING! AS IN, MEANT TO BE HUMOROUS! Whistling patriot Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
It is just a metal counterweight in the stock and I have no idea what is in it!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
It is just a metal counterweight in the stock and I have no idea what is in it!

What he said.

And, no, I have had two riss with mercury in them. Never had an issue with them.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No habla.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You for your reply with your experiences. From the looks of it, I would be OK.

Thank You again

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Shhhhhhh . . .

No, I never have and I never intend to ask about it either.

Exactly.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not done it but I don't think I would take the chance. If the TSA screener has no clue about firearms, most probably don't, I can see where a canister of something "hidden" in a gunstock probably would raise a "red flag". I would not risk loosing my rifle, maybe more problems, leaving on Safari or across the Country. If deemed suspicious I don't think some off the wall explanation to the TSA is going to do much good if the actually want to know what it is. I believe the procedure would be to confiscate it, and you, until the canister was removed and it's contents checked by a laboratory. If this happens don't see you making your flight and could be a loooooong night in detention. somewhere? Seems like a very unnecessary risk to take when considering the possible consequences. JMHO.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International) Life Member
Sabatti "trash Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the NZ Australian section.
There's quite a discussion there about this subject.

"just a hunk of lead far as I know"
It's epoxied in place and can't be removed without destroying the stock on my rifles at least. plus it's a sealed Stainless steel tube anyway. No way anything can escape.
Just my thoughts, let it worry you all you desire.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
My rifle with a mercury recoil reducer has made it through a number of TSA checks with no problem.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It won't be a problem until we start asking questions to the wrong people and make it one

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does TSA actually x-ray rifles? Mine have been looked at; serial number checked; dumb questions asked. Then a tag thrown in the metal case and my lock installed. I'm pretty sure if the TSA tried to x-ray through my metal gun case, then through the wood stock, the required power would set a fire!

Posts: 392 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to TSA, ALL checked baggage is X ray treated. So if your guns go as checked bags they get the X ray treatment. Mercury is considered "a dangerous" substance pure and simple. If they were so inclined, and you brought Mercury onboard an aircraft you could very well be in deep, you know what.

It's kinda like the scope in carryon luggage, some here have got by with it, some have not. Losing a scope at TSA inspection is one thing, losing your rifle and being held for further investigation is quite another. I won't chance it, but for others do as you wish.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

quote:
Originally posted by poprivit:
Does TSA actually x-ray rifles? Mine have been looked at; serial number checked; dumb questions asked. Then a tag thrown in the metal case and my lock installed. I'm pretty sure if the TSA tried to x-ray through my metal gun case, then through the wood stock, the required power would set a fire!

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote