New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting collared lion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A lot has been said about this subject with many of the most rabid anti hunters screaming mad about hunters shooting a collared lion. The truth is that it can be quite tricky spotting the collar at all on some lion as the below pic can attest. Now immagine you are at last light and you only get a few seconds to view the lion through your scope.....

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless it is expressly prohibited, shooting a collared lion is no big deal to me.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
What about banded birds? What's good for the goose...

It seems that legitimate researchers would be just as interested in the data obtained from the legal killing of an animal as data obtained from any other source on that animal. Passing on a collared or otherwise marked animal just because of its involvement in a study would, by its very definition, change the outcome of the study, no?

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
What about banded birds? What's good for the goose...

It seems that legitimate researchers would be just as interested in the data obtained from the legal killing of an animal as data obtained from any other source on that animal. Passing on a collared or otherwise marked animal just because of its involvement in a study would, by its very definition, change the outcome of the study, no?

Spoken like a scientist! Wink tu2

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Can't even tell. That is one hell of a lion

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
During the Houston Safari Club's 2015 Convention and Exhibition, I attended a lion seminar conducted by a biologist currently working on one of the major conservancies in Zimbabwe. During the answer and question session, I mentioned that brown leather collars are a little difficult to distinguish during the early and late hunting hours. I suggested that perhaps "hunter orange" colored collars would be much more obvious and distinguishable during these low light conditions. The biologist looked at me like I had made a derogatory comment regarding his ancestry. He never responded and then moved on to the next question.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
Two years ago I shot a collared lion in Zim at last light..When I approached, he was collared. The next day we called the researcher and he came over to retrieve the collar. He also took tissue samples and a tooth for aging..He spent about an hour with me and gave the full history of the lion. He had been kicked out of his pride and became a cattle killer. He was to be declared a problem lion and would have been killed. It was a great learning experience about lions and a time I will never forget.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote