Find
Notify
Tools

Flight Suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted
It looks like I am going for a late season hunt in SA this October. I was looking at flight and noticed there is a flight JFK to Frankfurt to Johanessberg. Since I will have my rifles with me has anyone flown through Frankfurt with guns? I was planning on staying in Frankfurt for a few days after my return from Africa. Is this possible? has anyone done it? A client of mine used KLM and was very happy with their service too. Any advice would be appreciated

Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Aleko:

I used the SFO-FRA-JNB route this past April and it worked well. Guns came through just fine. I liked the fact that it broke up the trip into two segments of around 10-11 hours apiece, rather than the long slog from ATL-CPT-JNB. The only downside is the 12-hour layover at FRA.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
TJC,

The type of airplane makes no difference at all. It is the carrier that configures them in the way they wish.

God saves you from travelling inside Europe.

The service is absolutely atrocious and the seats are extra small, regardless of who you fly with, even on Business Class, regardless of who you travel with.

Once you are on International flights, things tend to improve a lot.

Posts: 68697 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give our gal Kathi a call at 708-425-3552. If anyone knows the ins and outs of this alternative route to Joberg, I'll bet she does.

Posts: 74 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what plane that route uses. I will not be using SAA and their Airbus again. It was that bad!

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Emirates Airlines web site is showing "special fares" from JFK to Dubai then to Johannesburg right now.

As I recall it was under $1500 for economy class but involves an overnight and day in Dubai. [But, how bad could that be - assuming the firearms are attended to somehow.]

BUT you must buy soon and travel must start by October. Check it out.

Maybe Kathi and or Steve at Gracy could comment on these.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Aleko

If you dont decide on that FRankfort route maybe be a pioneer and try the JFK / Dubai / Johannesburg route with EMIRATES, as a number of the forum guests and Gracy Travel were going to look into that as a preferred option for HUNTERS in the future !!!

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I agree!!!

Never again will I fly on the Airbus as currently configured. I was in hell the entire ride back...there is ONE good seat in economy, and I had it on the way over, but nothing good coming home. Not worth the gamble.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Me either. My back is still sore and I got back last Sat. 22 hours without getting off the plane sucks. NEVER AGAIN!! As much as I love Africa, I will not put myself through that torture again. Nothing is worth that crappy plane ride. I wrote an email to SAA and they replied that they have been recieving ALOT of complaints about the current airbus configuration. DUHHH!!

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote