New
Find
Notify
Tools

I finally did it, I really did.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A big thanks to all the people on this forum, for it was your posts that nurtured my interest in an African hunt. Today I confirmed booking for an 11 day plains game hunt in Namibia with Johann Veldsman of Shona Hunting Adventures for September 2009. The bag will include Kudu, Eland, Gemsbuck, Springbok, Warthog, Mountain Zebra and Red Hartebeest. Now if any of you know how to make time go faster, please let me know.

Rick Behling

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You will never be the same.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19347 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Will this be your first ever hunt in Africa? because if it is......it won't be your last!

Now to pass time until your hunt in 2009? not sure when you guys start hunting in Canada, but Alaska has just started...Bear season! foloowed by Bou, sheep moose and goat ...that'll pass the time.....CK

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Congrats!! I'll be over there at roughly the same time.

AKsheephunter,

Alaska sounds great but, man, as a non-res it's cheaper to go to Africa.

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudos to you. I'll be in Namibia just a month before you. Enjoy all of the anticipation & preparation as it's a big part of the experience.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Good for you. You simply can't imagine what a great experience you have in front of you. Good luck!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are smart start saving now for your next trip to Africa Big Grin

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your in for alot of fun!

Ian

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Rick, congrats and this is for you...Enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/retreever/MamaChopChopSAdventure

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Ah ... formally declared a victim, eh? Darned disease is not treatable you know. You can just allay it by going back Wink

Kidding aside, congratulations! Sounds like a great trip with a lovely trophy list.

The planning isn't quite half the fun, but it is an enjoyable and important part of the experience.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Plan on taking extra money for trophies for at least 2 animals you don't have on your original wish list! Guaranteed you'll come across an exceptional trophy and wish you had saved/brought that extra $500 bucks.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick:
I am hunting with Shona in August. It will be my 6th trip to Africa, my second to Namibia. Let's get together via PM and compare notes.
In the meantime, enjoy the anticipation. It's the second best part of any safari!
Good on Ya!
Tom

114-R10David

Posts: 1751 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Rick: CONGRATULATIONS!!! Here is a little piece of advice that I bet no one on the forum will disagree with. From this moment on.....sit back and soak up, take in, and savor every instant of anticipation of your first African Safari. THERE IS NO SAFARI LIKE THE FIRST SAFARI......I would give nigh on to anything for the absolute thrill of that first safari again. They are all special....but all of you who have been there / done that, know what I mean. Again Congratulations!! Soak boy....Soak!!!

Posts: 504 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He has a beautiful lodge. The trip from the airport takes a a while. I hunted at Sebra which is only a couple of miles from Johans new place.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rick,
I'll be hunting Africa also for the first time with Shona in August 2009. I am bringing my whole family with me, too! We will be spending a few days at the tent camp and then going up to the lodge for the remainder of the trip. I am looking for gemsbok (my first choice), zebra, kudu, and warthog. Don't know what else I might run into that I might want, but the wife said NO leopard unless it attacks me Smiler!
Good hunting!
Ken

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the wife said NO leopard unless it attacks me

Never EVER pass up a leopard if the opportunity presents itself! They are not exactly the easiest animal to hunt. (marriage counseling is cheaper!)

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dlroxby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Behling:
A big thanks to all the people on this forum, for it was your posts that nurtured my interest in an African hunt. Today I confirmed booking for an 11 day plains game hunt in Namibia with Johann Veldsman of Shona Hunting Adventures for September 2009. The bag will include Kudu, Eland, Gemsbuck, Springbok, Warthog, Mountain Zebra and Red Hartebeest. Now if any of you know how to make time go faster, please let me know.

Rick Behling

I have also booked a hunt at Shona in September 2009. May be I will see you there.

Posts: 60 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Bwanna: +1 thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful you going to try the most addictive drug you will ever have. AFRICA
Good luck and good hunting

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Start building the new trophy room for your house. It will occupy your time somewhat becasue you will need the room for your next 3 safaris,,,,, I know, you just booked one safari but Africa is addictive and you will have to return...... drwes

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats. My first hunt was in 2007 in South Africa. What everyone says is the truth, I am now booked for Zim in 2009. You will be back!

Posts: 42106 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went with my son in May of this year. If you have half the trip we did, you will never forget it. I am literally saving pennies to go back. Best wished.
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations,

YOU will be hooked and never ever have enough money or time. You are ruining your life. Go for IT.

Have a great hunt.

H Kittle

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Small Bore
posted Hide Post
You probably wonder what they are going on about - I went to Africa for the first time in April and spent 16 days hunting in the Okavango Delta.

I thought I'll just chalk it up as an experience so when I die I can look back and say 'I hunted elephant in the Okavango Delta with my friend Michael'. Never intended to go back never thouight I would want to.

Guess what? I'm heading out to Tanzania in 2010 and probably slipping out to SA for some practice next year.

I don't know what happened to me - but I bet it happens to you too!

Happy hunting - it really will change your outlook on life.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Congrats! excellent move...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I might run into that I might want, but the wife said NO leopard unless it attacks me Smiler!
Good hunting!
Ken

That can always be arranged lol

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote