New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travelling with a bow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I often work overseas (usually in the former Soviet Union) and often could travel home via Africa. Taking a rifle is out of the question and I wondered about taking some archery gear.

Do any countries restrict entry with archery gear? I know cross bows are Prohibited Weapons in most of Australia and was thinking of a compound bow, or, possibly a takedown recurve.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

mike

One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
The majority of countries in southern Africa have no problem with taking in archery gear, compound or re-curve, some even do allow cross bows but in Namibia for instance it is illegal so best bet would be the compound or re-curve. Just make sure you carry enough spare parts i.e string, broadheads, trigger etc.

Roger
Vieranas Safaris
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to think that I should buy a takedown recurve. It would be difficult to identify it as a weapon should the hold luggage be X-rayed id packed with my fishing gear, as would the arrows.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll have no problems in South Africa with a bow. I brought a compound bow in with no problems. Can't say about the Soviet Union.

You'll want the compound bow in Africa for speed and penetration that you can't achieve with a recurve.

Best of luck!

"If you hunt to eat, or hunt for sport for something fine, something that will make you proud, and make you remember every single detail of the day you found him and shot him, that is good too." – Robert Chester Ruark

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a good answer about African countries and bows, but my experience in other "developed" parts of the world have been entertaining, to say the least. I had no problem with a bow in RSA or Zim on my last visit.
Canada requires archery gear to be declared as a weapon. Having done so, they generally don't even look at the bow or ask any additinal questions, just let me pass through. Technically you are in violation by not declaring it, however.
I once had a gate agent for Delta airlines require that I sign the firearms declaration that my bow was "unloaded" before he would accept the case. No amount of arguing could convince him about the stupidity of this request. Sometimes problems crop up in the most unexpected places...
Good luck.
Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It never fails when I fly into an airport in Africa that I will have my bow case pulled aside and placed with the firearms coming in.In Joberg,Harare,Windhoek, wherever.But once I open the case and demonstrate that there are no guns then I am allowed to proceed unfettered.But when they see my big double bow case they assume it must be a gun.

A takedown recurve I am sure would pass through un-noticed.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
quote:
I once had a gate agent for Delta airlines require that I sign the firearms declaration that my bow was "unloaded" before he would accept the case. No amount of arguing could convince him about the stupidity of this request.

I had the same thing happen to my with NW. The girl asked me how could she tell if it was unloaded or not? I pulled out the release, squeezed the trigger and said see, it didn't go off so its unloaded....she said okay and sent me on my way.

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of redfern
posted Hide Post
Hello AussieMike,
I travel yearly From Sydney to RSA, Zim And Tanz with my Compound Bow, No troubles in any of these countries, Though you must declare the bow and arrows on your entry documents into each country.Tanz and Zim also want to know how many arrows you are carrying. Remember to thoroughly clean gear before your return to Aust.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking about clean gear, when I came back from Zim 3 months ago I declared that I had been on farms and had my shoes in my gun bag for easy inspection.

I had been elephant tracking in Omay and at Kwekwe and my shoes were full of grass seeds. The customs officers did not comment, did not even look inside. As I live on a farm there seemed to me a significant chance I could introduce exotic species to Australia. As a farmer, I'm much more worried about exotic plants and diseases than I am about exactly how many rounds of ammo are brought into the country by a sporting shooter.

BTW do you live in Redfern?

mike

Picture of redfern
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with you about the Grass seed, I would hate for anyone to bring in any exotic plant material or disease, that's why I mentioned "clean your gear" Australia has too many introduced weeds and diseases that have been introduced. I'm very vigilant about clean gear when I return from Africa
Yes, Live in Redfern

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with a man from Washington state while in BC last spring. He drove into Canada and while at the border the agents asked if he had any firearms or ammo and he said no. They then raised hell with him when they found a compound bow and arrows and were pissed that he didn't tell them he had it. Of course he just said that what they asked was whether he had any firearms or ammo and his answer was still no. They didn't do a thing except hassle him for not disclosing it.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote