Find
Notify
Tools

Am I nuts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I guess that's a loaded question. Big Grin

But I leave for Zimbabwe (Save Conservancy)on April 26 for a two week leopard/buffalo combo hunt. Yesterday one of my local SCI chapter members told me I was totally nuts for going on a DG hunt in this region this early in the season. He said it will be so green that we won't be able to see ANYTHING! And God help us should we get into any grass areas (which is not very likely in this part of Zimbabwe.

This guy has 10 or 12 safaris under his belt, but I don't consider his word to be the gospel on all matters pertaining to African hunting. So I decided to bring the question here.

Am I going on a buff hunt way to early?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard how much rain Zim got/is having this year. It wouldn't be my first pick as to the month, but it is too late now. Smiler

Early there is a lot of water around, a lot of mud holes to get stuck in, and the game is scattered. Also can't see in the thick stuff too well, but the bush varies a lot, so it will probably be okay.

Have fun and make the most of it.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19347 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
You will be fine on the leopard and a good time for the cats, but you will probably battle on the buffalo and plains game a bit due to the thick cover.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Leon:

I've been to Africa a couple of times when it was supposedly too early (i.e., the grass had not yet been burned... it was a "wet" year, etc...) and one time when the rains had begun (late in the year).

I found that it was very different hunting. A whole lot of it was finding fresh tracks in the road, and then using the amazing abilities of the trackers to follow the game.

Your losing weight and cardio program with serve you well when you make some multi-kilometer jaunts. I think you will really like the excitment of getting up close and personal with the buffalo, etc.

And, as implied in another post, since you will be "luring" the cats to you, visibility is not so important.

The flora will be beautiful instead of brown and dry. You'll have a wonderful, if somewhat different trip than your first.

Take lots of pictures!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7625 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Had an email from a friend in Zim today and he says the lowveldt is pretty dry and so you should not have problems with vegatation. He hunts in the Matetsi and its in pretty good shape also. His other concession is in the Bulawayo/Turk Mine area and its pretty dry also.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the plus side you may be the first person hunting the area for months. Game may even be less scattered and harried.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gahunter
I am in the exact same Boat. I am going to Zimbabwe March 28th for 21 days. I operate a seasonal business and April is a fine time for me to be away. I can tell you that my PH just emailed and said it was very dry there and the hunting should be great. Lots of luck!!!!

Posts: 29 | Location: Delano MN | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and e-mailed my PH with this question. His response was that they are in the middle of a very dry summer season and green leaves will be the least of our problems. Finding water will be more of a problem. Right now, he's still got plently, and should have when I get there, but later on, all bets are off!

Butchloc is with the same PH right now hunting elephant. I will be very intersted in hearing his report when he returns.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote