New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autoloaders Used Much In Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would not personally want to use an autoloading rifle if I was to go to Africa, but strictly as a matter of curiousity are there ones that get used in hunting? What type of game? Are they available for purchase in SA and other popular hunting destinations? And generally speaking to what extent are autoloading handguns and shotguns used over there? Like I said, just curious really because not having been there I've never heard much about that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have personally only ever used two auto-loading shotguns in South Africa (old Franchi and an A-5).

I have seen a couple of other auto shotguns in the field and at ranges but they are quite scarce.

In terms of autoloading hunting rifles - they are even scarcer due to the fact that licensing autos has always been the issue. Some shooters and many ranchers did have assualt type autos like FNFAL/R1 and R4/5 military rifles, but again, these are not common and becoming less so in the post-kommando/reservist era.

The other thing is a matter of culture. Hunters in SA are just not that familiar with auto's or pump rifles (there are more pump shotguns around) and many don't see these are 'real' or legimate hunting tools like bolts, or singles or SxS and O/U shotguns (many shotgunners view autos and pumps as unsafe on group shoots and unsporting if loaded with more than 2 rounds).

Another issue was the arms embargo under Apatheid. Most (lower priced) auto-loading hunting rifles were/are american made and american made arms were rare and expensive for years, most SA hunters bought and used local or European makes. Couple that with the licensing issues with autos and you will see that autos are like hens teeth in SA.

In fact I personally have never seen any auto-loading hunting rifle in SA (except military rifles and the odd auto .22 or shotgun).

I cant speak for other countries

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Illegal for tourist hunters in most places. Never seen one in the field - except of course for the military rifles carried by game scouts.

I have seen semi-auto shotguns.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Semi-autos are permitted in Namibia. I didn't know that when I went in 08. If I go ever go back, I'm definitely taking my 338 BAR.

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with game scouts that had AK's [Russian] and FN-FAL's. One of my PH's had an FN as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote