New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting to Namibia
 Login/Join

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I'm putting together a trip to Namibia in May of 2005. Other than using SAA or British Air, are there other alternatives to get to Windhoek from the East Coast of the U.S.? I want to avoid going through the U.K.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike ,if I remember right I think going out of Florida skips the UK.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Luftansia ???? They used to be German South Africa and I think German make up the largest group of hunting clients.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

There are a variety of ways to get there...Obviously direct flights to RSA on SAA, but if you want to go through Europe, you can connect in Frankfurt or Munich on LTU, as they fly direct to Windhoek.

If you are OK with going through Jo-burg, which will save you quite a bit of cash normally, KLM connects in Amsterdam, their US partner is Northwest. Air France may be another option. When searching for air tickets to go home and visit the family in Oregon, Air France has had the cheapest Jo-burg-USA tickets.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Get to Atlanta and fly SAA non-stop to Jo-burg, then a short flight, also SAA, to Windhoek. SAA has the new Air Bus. Really nice. Bob

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I there something wrong with SAA? I just booked with Vaughan Fulton for this fall and am planning Dullas or Pittsburgh to Atlanta 1 1/2 hr lay over and on to Joberg connecting to Wind. All in all about 23 hrs and then a 6 hr drive to the cons. Have dinner unwind and get a good nights sleep ready to hunt in the morning, eh.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
There's not anything wrong with SAA, but I'm trying to avoid an overnight in Jo'burg, because my flight from JFK get in to there too late to catch the last flight of the day. There's also an interesting thread on Jo'burg airport over on NitroExpress.com that is worth reading. It's on the African Hunting thread. Quite an eye opener.

not one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Bring a 45-70 lever action.
You'll love it!

Posts: 451 | Location: no where | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I talked to some folks from Air Namibia at the SCI Convention in Reno last month. They are flying from New York to Capetown, Jo'Berg and Windhoek. They had some connection packages set up with Singapore Air too (very well-regarded airline).

Air Namibia used to be operated by Lufthansa under contract, but I don't know if that is still so.

You could also fly from the US over the pole to Frankfurt, and then south to Namibia.

My wife and I have Namibia booked in '05 too, and I figured to check this out for that trip. Please let us know what you learn.

jim dodd

usasales@air-namibia.com
1800-NAMIBIA (626 4242)
305 492 9053 fax
6355 NW 36th St. Suite 602 Miami, FL 33166

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
When did Air Namibia start these flights from New York?

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

If you fly SAA out of Atlanta and the 1030 flight it lands in either Joberg or Cape Town...7 or 8am...You would difinatley make a connecton to Win...Last time I flew there the guys sitting next to me did ahat you are asking..No Problem...Check with Kathi she posts here find her threads and send her an email..She is booking my flight to Zim for August this summer for buf...

kathi@wldtravel.com

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Fly out of Allentown or Phila., instead of JFK. You'll fly into Atlanta, then to Jo'Berg, then to Windhoek. All in the same day.
That's what I did last year, and that's what I'm doing this year.

I thought you were going to hunt buff in Tanz in '05?

Posts: 273 | Location: Clarks Summit, Pa. | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Hello George. I got several emails from Terry Blauwkamp, and we spoke on the phone today. He suggested the same thing: fly to Atlanta the day before, that way if a piece of luggage goes astray the airline has almost a full day to get it to you before leaving for Africa. I'm going to hunt Namibia next May with Vaughan Fulton. One of my customers is going to go along for his 1st Safari. After reviewing the information from the outfitters I spoke with in Harrisburg, I decided to put Tanzania on hold for a while. I just didn't feel totally comfortable with the people I spoke with at the show.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, Let's think about '06. I'm in the middle of something right now that, if it happens, won't allow me to go anywhere in '05. In fact, I'll be lucky to get to go on my trip this year in July.

Ironic, isn't it? Get a deal together that will support your hunting habit, but not have enough time to go hunting.

Posts: 273 | Location: Clarks Summit, Pa. | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
George, email me and let me know what's going on.