Find
Notify
Tools

Lion cull hunt in Botswana????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted
I met a guy at a local gun show yesterday. I had my DSC hat on and we began to chat about Africa and guns. He told me that his PH had a male lion for his wife and two females for him to shoot in a Botswana cull hunt. I asked when he was leaving. "In August" he replied. He went on to say that the lions weren't going anywhere. Perhaps I am ignorant on such matters but does this sound legit?

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DoubleDon,

This is a guess on my part but I think those lions most likely are on a private fenced property somewhere.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The male is Fred and his two girlfriends are Gladis and Wilma! jumping

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
dancing

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The male is Fred and his two girlfriends are Gladis and Wilma! jumping

lol dancing dancing Good one there Boss-Man Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I didn't want to run the bsflagflag on this guy, but it just didn't sound right. I privately wondered if he was doing a canned hunt in S.A. and telling everyone it was a fair chase Botswana hunt. Mark, does Botswana have high fence areas for lion?

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,

I can't answer that for sure but I don't think so. That's why I didn't say that it sounded like a high fenced area in Botswana. The whole thing appears a little suspect to me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting the African Lion in Bots, is illegal, and has been since the season closed in September 2007! There are NO captive/bred lion facilities that I know of in Bots? Certainly the hunting of female lions was NEVER legal in Bots. Likely he's "hunting" the Kalahari in SA? There's apparently some outfit there now, selling a 7-day "wild" lion hunt, with Lions coming across from Bots - that are being hunted as legit, problem cattle killers! Really??? I guess now they can determine months in advance when a problem lion will show up and become a cattle killer.

Keep in mind though, some of the biggest/baddest maned, wild lions, did in fact come from the Kalahari in southern Bots, that were in fact on Private land, but were also totally/completely wild lions. If you ever saw the lion that Steve Chancellor shot a few yrs ago, with Luke Blackbeard as the PH, that one was a prime example!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please Wait. Your request is being processed...

A lot of lions, as well as leopards, are shot in Botswana every year, but not by hunters. They are shot by cattle farmers with gov't blessing. No foreigner may participate in such a hunt, and no money can change hands. The trophies revert to the state where they receive marginal care and are sold at auction.

I don't know the numbers on Lion, but I believe about 300 leopards are taken each year. The game farmers suffer predation losses but don't get to shoot Lions at all. About 12 permits are allocated by lottery to game farmers for leopard per year. Derek Brink gets 6 of them. These hunts can be sold as trophy hunts, and some are taken with dogs.

I can tell you that Lion numbers have come back in some parts of Botswana (eg Hainaveld) to the point where game farmers are losing a lot of their game. Wild dogs same situation.

I predict there will be Lion hunts in Botswana before long. It makes too much sense to allow the safari industry to participate in the control. Cat populations can burgeon just as fast as they crash.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
... It makes too much sense to allow the safari industry to participate in the control....

Certainly by now we all know better than to expect anything resembling common sense to be used by African governments.

...now that I think about it, most government activity lacks common sense regardless of the country of origin.

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
quote:
Please Wait. Your request is being processed...

A lot of lions, as well as leopards, are shot in Botswana every year, but not by hunters. They are shot by cattle farmers with gov't blessing. No foreigner may participate in such a hunt, and no money can change hands. The trophies revert to the state where they receive marginal care and are sold at auction.

I don't know the numbers on Lion, but I believe about 300 leopards are taken each year. The game farmers suffer predation losses but don't get to shoot Lions at all. About 12 permits are allocated by lottery to game farmers for leopard per year. Derek Brink gets 6 of them. These hunts can be sold as trophy hunts, and some are taken with dogs.

I can tell you that Lion numbers have come back in some parts of Botswana (eg Hainaveld) to the point where game farmers are losing a lot of their game. Wild dogs same situation.

I predict there will be Lion hunts in Botswana before long. It makes too much sense to allow the safari industry to participate in the control. Cat populations can burgeon just as fast as they crash.

On average, well over 100 lions are killed every year, and have for years in Bots - as "PAC", by Bots wildlife dept. Over 120 were killed in 2010 alone!

Lion/Leopard have been doing well for years in Botswana, that was never the issue. Anti-hunting govt, the Joubert's, etc - have been the problem.

Russ, I love your optimism - and I really wish that trophy lion hunting would return to Bots, but that ain't gonna happen! Certainly not anytime in the near future, and very likely - never!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
certainly won't happen as long as Khama is president and probably not after he retires( if he ever does)

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote