New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to go and what to hunt next?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We are begining to plan the next trip. It looks like a conservency in Namibia will get the nod, but I can not get something our PH said last year. We were talking about our animal preference at the begining and I had Bushbuck down at the bottom, only because something had to be there and I had an inkling they were not the easiest animal to bag.
Our PH said if there is a next time he would put Vaal Rehbuck and Bushbuck at the top.

What is hunting Vaal Rehbuck like?

I do feel like I left a Bushbuck over there, and all the pics of the different varities lately has gotten me aroused.

I do ask dopey questions some time so please forgive if this sounds dopey!!!!

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 712 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to Namibia you can leave them both off as I don't thing either are found in Nam. The Vaal Rehbok (only know from conversations) is a good hunt high mts. and long shots, The Bushbuck is just the opposite thick bush country and normally close shots although they can be spotted from one ridge to another give longer shots. Both are Great trophies one should be proud of either.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
There are Bushbuck in Namibia, but I believe only in the far North-mostly in the Caprivi Strip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so far, neither of them would be on the agenda if we go to Namibia. Loved the first trip to RSA but looking elsewhere also. Anyone else care to join in.
Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 712 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike you are correct, I just don't think of people going to the Caprivi for plains game. I just noticed this a bit of a local string, eh.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dulcinea,

If you go back to RSA you definitely should try for rhebok and mt. reedbuck. They are not ranch animals and the hunting can be quite physically challenging. RSA has both the Cape and Limpopo varieties of bushbuck and they can be buggers to hunt. If you went on a ten day safari and just killed the four above you would have done well.

I have a very good guy for those animals if you are interested. It definite would not be your typical RSA hunt.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Just a thought on hunting bushbuck, vaal rhebuck and mountain reedbuck in South Africa. I should really include bushpig and warthog, as these are also to be classified as virtually impossible - and certainly uneconomical - to fence in.

If you hunt any of the mentioned animals forget about fences. For a very simple reason: They are either so strong to bust through or dig underneath fences, or the mountain areas where they occur is so difficult to fence properly to prevent them from crawling under that you can safely regard yourself to be hunting a totally unfenced South Africa sized hunting area. The exceptions to my general statement may occur, but a truely "fenced in - or fenced out" specimen of any of these species is very rare indeed!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote