THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    My taxidermy/shipping experience and costs

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My taxidermy/shipping experience and costs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just an update on my shipping expenses and experience. I know I wanted similar examples when planning my trip over.

Hunted Oct 15-21 in RSA, Northern Province

Hunt Reports :

here

and here

Taxidermy :

Everything was dropped off at Highveldt Taxidermy on the trip to JNB.

Trophies ready to ship on June 11, 2004

Costs :

1 Kudu skull clean & bleach $77

1 Kudu flatskin tan $124.00

1 Impala skull clean & bleach $62.00

1 Impala flatskin tan $49.00

1 Duiker skull clean & bleach $29.00

1 Hartebeest skull clean & bleach $61.00

1 Hartebeest flatskin tan $123.00

1 Blesbuck skull clean & bleach $62.00

1 Blesbuck flatskin tan $49.00

1 Set of warthog tusks clean & bleach $5.00

Total

$641.00

Packaging, crating & documentation $128.20

Value added tax 4.2% $32.31

Total $801.51

Shipping was through Safari Air Cargo and cleared by Flora and Fauna

Cost $366.09 for delivery to my door.

Extra $50 for F&F to pay Safari Air Cargo expenses on one bill (Safari Air also accepts SWIFT transfers)

Costs were less to clear myself in New Orleans, but the differences in the quotes were not worth my time.

Crate Received on 8/18/04

Comments :

The bleaching was very nice. The tanning was exceptional. I did have damage to three skulls. My hartebeest skull was destroyed. The other two I can be easily fix. The damaged skulls were not individually wrapped. Highveldt contacted me (by phone) and assumed responsibility, although there is a question as to whether the crate was opened in NY (it seems not). We came to an acceptable monetary agreement. He even offered to send a replacement skull and pay for taxidermy services here to mount my horns on it. All in all, despite the damage, my opinion of them is reasonably high. Nothing can replace MY skull, but they faced up to it and did everything reasonable to rectify the situation. All one could ask after something like this happens. Everyone claims this is the first time damage occurred, including people I grew to trust. Communication was very good through the entire process. No surprises or any BS in the process (other that the damage). Credit card accepted.

Marie at Safari Air was very prompt in replies. Costs were per quote. She said she was starting a claim due to my damage. I don't know if I am entitled due to Highveldt's response. I did buy $1000 worth of insurance on the shipping. Haven't heard back yet on it. Only reasonable way to pay was through F&F or by a SWIFT transfer. My bank took a few minutes to determine what a SWIFT transfer was and said it would be $35. So, I just paid an extra $50 for F&F to handle.

F&F was difficult to contact. I was sent the wrong invoice and it took some time to correct this. Several calls/emails not returned. John Meehan did call me after everything arrived to say thanks and sorry. I realize I was small potatoes probably, but it was not the most professional experience. This is one service where I would probably seek elsewhere next time.

Hope this helps someone in the planning stage!

Extra kudos again to Bob (booking agent for Crusier), Jacques (PH), and Kathi (World Travel Mart, Kathi here on AR) for EXCEPTIONAL service far beyond what was expected.

Posts: 72 | Location: Southern Louisiana | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input Metalman,
We are anxiously awaiting our freight quote having already paid the balance to Life-Form Taxidermy. Having shoulder mounts, our bill was considerably higher but since this was our first trip, we decided to go that route. Maybe we'll do European mounts next time. If we are lucky, the crate should be here on the anniversary of our trip .

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like everyone else who went this year, I am anxiously waiting on my trophies to be finished and shipped. Got my invoice from Reiser Taxidermy in Windhoek for everything up to the freight. $1550 for dip/pack/crate on 9 animals and 2 warthogs, tanning on rear skins on all 9, and tanning and felt on a full Zebra rug. They promised 90 day delivery on the package to USA.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote