THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunt in Chewore North with Chifuti Safaris
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt in Chewore North with Chifuti Safaris
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Just back in from Zimbabwe and slowly acclimating to the real world. Solid hunt in the Chewore North area... full details in a few days. Shot my leopard on day 6, dagga boy on day 7 and finished with my tuskless cow on day 10. Quite hot in the Valley and very dry... for those hunting there later in the year, game should be concentrated around water. Stayed in a fly camp near Mariatsoro Gorge about 2.5 hours from the Mwanja camp. Nice experience!
A few pix...

Cheers!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good going. Can't wait for the report and the rest of the pics.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Welcome back and great pictures. That cat is grand and the buff looks like an old weathered warrior! Let us know the full details as soon as you catch your breath (and sleep!). Of particular interest are your observations regarding Zim and whether or not they had a negative effect (if any) on your safari. Thanks again. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm, Since time began men have been trying to go to the Moon and achieve a plethora of varying accomplishments. As a member of the Chewore North club I welcome you to the Holy Grail of life's experiences well done! beer

Your Leopard is absolutely gorgeous, but you know that. The Buff and the cow icing on the cake.

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing some wonderful photos.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Russell,
Outstanding. You really know how to do it right. You are becoming one of my heros!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I hate you. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your fine trophies.

My wife and I hunted Chewore North this past September and it truly is a beautiful area.

Looking forward to the full report and welcome home.

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Congratulations on a great trip. Look forward to hearing the details. Counting the days until my hunt . . . 78 days and counting.

Mike

Posts: 21690 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Well done Russell! Man you are looking lean and mean too!

Looking fwd to the stories and lots and lots of picts of some awesome country.

So...what's next? Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Big congrats and well done.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!!!!

I'm off in 63 days, and I'm just out of my head. So, tell me, is the old hunting camp gone? Did they tear it all down? I heard they were hunting out of the fishing camp instead. Is that why you were up in the fly camp?

How many people were in camp? I hear the volume is way down this year, but I'm starting to think they lost about 20 beds if they tore down the old huts, and try to stuff everybody into the fishing camp?

Who was your ph? Did you hunt with Ian? How were the provisions, and PLEASE eloborate on the tuskless hunt!

I'm sorry, but I'm in a bad way if you knwo what I mean and I'm dying for more information. Did you see a lot of tusless cows? Tell us more, more more!!!!! clap

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and well done. I am looking forward to the full report.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Is there any graemlin with huge amounts of saliva falling from his mouth ??? Big Grin

As Will said, I hate you. Crystal clear.

Well done, beatifull leopard. If I remember correctly last year you also kill a fantastic cat.... Wink

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of ndege
posted Hide Post
Good going Russell dancing, nice cat!!!!

Andre Roux

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Congrats is in order for such magnificent animals. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your hunt and very nice trophies.

Hamdeni thumb

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Sounds like another great safari beer
That is a nice looking rifle and animals too.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I stayed at the same camp in '05 (I remember how hot it was then), got my tuskless over there. That may be one of the buff bulls I saw in the Chewore River gorge area? Nice trophies, you can't go wrong in Chewore!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
... full details in a few days

Congratulations great buff and spots - would love to hear about that hole on the buffalo's forehead beer

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Congrats on the chui... He looks very dark... Buf is an old warrior.. Looking forward to more pics and the stories...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Those are nice trophies.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Russell! Great leopard and buff in particular. Please give us all the details.

Congratulations!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13624 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beer

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Show!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! Excellent trophies. That is a super leopard for anywhere, and even more so since it's a Valley cat. Typically bossed-up bruiser dagga boy - splendid!

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Very nice bag. I've only hunted out of what was then Big Five's camp there twice. Andrew Dawson with Chifuti was building a new camp up river when I was there in 'O5, but it doesn't sound like you stayed there. I'm due to hunt with Ian there in late August, so I am too anxious to hear/see more detials, once you've rested up. Thanks.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I'm hunting with Ian in the third week. When do you get into camp?

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Congrats on a great safari. Looking forward to the details...

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratlations!!!! I too am jealous!!!

Regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Congrats great leopard, buffalo and ele. Hope to read the whole report soon.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, tell me, is the old hunting camp gone? Did they tear it all down? I heard they were hunting out of the fishing camp instead. Is that why you were up in the fly camp?

How many people were in camp? I hear the volume is way down this year, but I'm starting to think they lost about 20 beds if they tore down the old huts, and try to stuff everybody into the fishing camp?

Who was your ph? Did you hunt with Ian? How were the provisions, and PLEASE eloborate on the tuskless hunt!

The "old" Big 5 camp is gone and in its place Billy Rauttenbach is building a private lodge for his personal use. I don't know if Mwanja was the old fishing camp or not but I had all of Chewore North to myself! Just little old me!

Chifuti is putting alot of work into the Chewore North concession, opening a number of new roads and improving others to make the area more acessible for hunting. Ian commented some of the roads haven't been traveled for 10 years now.

The Fly Camps, one built at Mariatsoro Gorge and one approved by Parks to be built soon will give folks the option to stay in areas that are very productive but 2 or 3 hours from main camp. This also spreads the hunting pressure out from main camp and divides it more evenly across the concession.

I don't think volume is down at all... Chifuti has 140 clients hunting Sapi, Dande North and Chewore North this year. They are undershooting quotas in same areas on purpose but were still scheduled for 45 buff in Chewore and 65 in Dande North.

I hunted with Brent Leesmay who is a solid young PH and enjoyable to hunt with. He hunted quite abit for Buffalo Range before moving to Chifuti. Met Ian and Andy Hunter who had clients hunting leopard in the area after I left. Good guys all.

You should have good hunting late as dry conditions should concentrate animals around remaining water.

Will give details on tuskless hunt in hunt report to come.

Thanks to everyone for all the compliments on my trophies... I must admit, I underestimated the challenge of hunting leopard!

quote:
Of particular interest are your observations regarding Zim and whether or not they had a negative effect (if any) on your safari. Thanks again. jorge

Jorge, Zim is Zim and things are still tough there for most folks. Fuel is still a big issue and the logistics of getting fuel into camps as well as food on a regualr basis is a huge headache. That said... camp was comfortable, food was adequate and except for scrounging for petrol for the boat on the last day of the hunt, things went smoothly for the most part. Once again I never felt threatened or unappreciated. Folks are resolved to make the best of a bad situation. Have to tip your hat to them.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm: Thanks for the update on the area. I thought Rauttenbach had lost that area to politics, but he apparently came out just fine, as usual. It is truly amazing and admirable how the PHs and staff adapt to the situation in Zim.

N'gagi: Our hunt starts the 23rd of August, out on Sept. 2nd. Sable and some PG they haven't had left on quota when I've been there before. I want my wife to see the Zambezi and the gorge before Zim falls down around their ears. 'Hope I haven't waited too long.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
Welcome back homeboy...Job well done!
Cocktails & cigars on me; photos and details on you. Cheers buckwheat cigar

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 442 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:
So, tell me, is the old hunting camp gone? Did they tear it all down? I heard they were hunting out of the fishing camp instead. Is that why you were up in the fly camp?

The "old" Big 5 camp is gone and in its place Billy Rauttenbach is building a private lodge for his personal use. I don't know if Mwanja was the old fishing camp or not but I had all of Chewore North to myself! Just little old me!

Chifuti is putting alot of work into the Chewore North concession, opening a number of new roads and improving others to make the area more acessible for hunting. Ian commented some of the roads haven't been traveled for 10 years now.

The Fly Camps, one built at Mariatsoro Gorge and one approved by Parks to be built soon will give folks the option to stay in areas that are very productive but 2 or 3 hours from main camp. This also spreads the hunting pressure out from main camp and divides it more evenly across the concession.

I don't think volume is down at all... Chifuti has 140 clients hunting Sapi, Dande North and Chewore North this year. They are undershooting quotas in same areas on purpose but were still scheduled for 45 buff in Chewore and 65 in Dande North.

I hunted with Brent Leesmay who is a solid young PH and enjoyable to hunt with. He hunted quite abit for Buffalo Range before moving to Chifuti. Met Ian and Andy Hunter who had clients hunting leopard in the area after I left. Good guys all.

You should have good hunting late as dry conditions should concentrate animals around remaining water.

Will give details on tuskless hunt in hunt report to come.

Thanks to everyone for all the compliments on my trophies... I must admit, I underestimated the challenge of hunting leopard!

quote:
Of particular interest are your observations regarding Zim and whether or not they had a negative effect (if any) on your safari. Thanks again. jorge

Jorge, Zim is Zim and things are still tough there for most folks. Fuel is still a big issue and the logistics of getting fuel into camps as well as food on a regualr basis is a huge headache. That said... camp was comfortable, food was adequate and except for scrounging for petrol for the boat on the last day of the hunt, things went smoothly for the most part. Once again I never felt threatened or unappreciated. Folks are resolved to make the best of a bad situation. Have to tip your hat to them.

Good news, thank you. I have spent time in camps with ian and Andy both, and i agree they are good guys. I heard the same thing about building a private compound, and quite frankly, if they want to reserve some quota for a friends and family, I'm quite okay with that, and in fact, it will probably be a boon to the area!

I used to love that hut down on the NW end by the skinning shed, and will miss that spot, but I'm sure whatever will be available, will be just fine.

As I've said here before, i just make sure to bring along my "give-a-shitter" and go with the flow. It's a beautiful area, and I can't think of any place i'd rather be, even in the worst of times.

Did you see a lot of tuskless???

Cheers, and thanks again for the updates!!!!

Mark Jackson

one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Sounds and looks like you had a great hunt and congratulations. I still don't have my leopard so darn guess I will have to go back again, did take a good ele bull however. (see "The Lady and the Bull" under reports)

Fred

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you see a lot of tuskless???

Almost every day on the Chewore River.

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
russell,
great to meet you in cxamp ...its seldom that i have heard trackers and a ph boasting as much as yours were about their clients shooting ability ...i guess you pulled off some excellent shots amid some hard days of walking ...these are the rewards of practice and fitness...and thats what makes it for a ph ...well done on a set of awesome trophies ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Russell-
Glad you had such a good hunt. I really like your Leopard. I want you to know that I don't hate you. I despise you! Wink

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
russell,
great to meet you in cxamp ...its seldom that i have heard trackers and a ph boasting as much as yours were about their clients shooting ability ...i guess you pulled off some excellent shots amid some hard days of walking ...these are the rewards of practice and fitness...and thats what makes it for a ph ...well done on a set of awesome trophies ...

Hey Ivan! Was that $20 or $50 I owe you for the shooting ability comment?

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

What a hunt! Glad you had a great trip. Awsome animals. I hope to see you again at Don's in the near future and get the details in person.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote