New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back from Ethiopia
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I made it home last night. The client took 11 trophies. All qualified for SCI but some were exceptional. Based on the current record book we have.........
From the Omo Valley
#17 Guenther's dik-dik (3 3/8")
#48 S. Gerenuk (14 1/4")
#31 N. Grant's gazelle (25 5/8")
#82 Lesser kudu (27 1/2") Should have held out for a bigger one!
#51 Tiang (19 1/8") Theu don't get as big in Omo as the ones taken years ago in Sudan.
And from our Damaro Concession
#43 Menelik's bushbuck (13")
#134 Warthog (11 9/16) Decent for Bale Province.
#20 East African bush Duiker (4 3/4")
# 8 (yes that eight) Mt. Nyala (38 3/8")
# 5 Abyssinian Bohor Reedbuck (10 5/8")
# 5 GIANT FOREST HOG (11 5/8") At a 20 % success ratio I'm especially pleased with this one

Another even bigger Forest Hog was taken the same week in our other Bale area (Odo Bulo)
I'll post some pictures when the jet lag wears off and the backed up correspondence pile goes down a bit.

And oh, a 17 foot 5 inch croc with about a foot and a half of tail missing was taken last week. Huge head!
How I enjoyed being in back in Ethiopia. thumb
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Welcome back!

Edit: Forgot to say congratulations to you and the client on a great trip.

quote:
I'll post some pictures when the jet lag wears off and the backed up correspondence pile goes down a bit.

Looking forward to the pictures.

quote:
And oh, a 17 foot 5 inch croc with about a foot and a half of tail missing was taken last week. Huge head!

Please be sure one of the pictures is this guy. Eeker

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Jeez, what a great safari!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Rich. Am anxious to see the Giant Forest Hog and Mt. Nyala. Hurry up and recuperate!!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PHOTOS PLEASE clap clap

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sigh! Frowner

Rich,

Do you guys need a driver? You know, with my keen navigational skills, I would indispensable over there. Big Grin

Great results! cheers

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!

I look forward to seeing the pics.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I think you are pulling our legs. No one does that well on one trip. If you don't publish photo's and a very detailed trip report, we will all think that you were on a 1968 head trip to a Grateful Dead concert and we will tell your wife that were not really in Africa, but in Las Vegas with the "boys".

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Welcome home and looking forward to the rest of the story...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Atto Rich

The closest I have come to returning to my old stomping grounds (Ethiopia) is two "safaris" to RSA. One day I may be your client as I still have issues growing up in Ethiopia with only a "catty". I have a kudu but nothing strictly East African.

Be dehina hune,

Barry Nagel

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job Rich. If you do hire George as your driver the story will be, I can see it over there but, I don't know how to get there.

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 712 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulcinea:
Good job Rich. If you do hire George as your driver the story will be, I can see it over there but, I don't know how to get there.

Dulcinea

Yeah, but you'd think with five 'navigators' in the car, SOMEBODY'd warn the driver of an upcoming exit BEFORE I drove by it. Big Grin

You know, when guides/trackers don't know how to get to an animal, they just tell you 'it's not trophy quality'. Wink

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dulcinea and taxi driver,
The main difference would be that if you miss a turn there you just stop and back up rotflmo!

Dogcat, It would be Vegas with the girls Wink

Ato Barry, Amasa aginalo.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Mtn. Nyala is, of course, spectacular. But a 17' 5" croc? I'm no expert, but isn't one that large exceedingly rare?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, it is such a tough life you have. Wink

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

I'm just doin' the best that I can Wink.

Brice,
Unually rare? Probably. We have an excellent area for croc's and take only 5/6 per year. Last year we took 2 that went over 18'. All the rest have been 17'+ with varying lengths of tail missing. I'm betting on a 20 footer one of these days.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The more desolate the place the chances grow for a big croc. I shot a 16 footer in the Ruaha river in the Selous.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Did you have an AR T-Shirt for the Croc as well?????

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote