THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Cutting edge technique for hunting Warthog!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting edge technique for hunting Warthog!
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Fellow forumites,

I have been given permission to release a short video clip of what I think you will agree is probably the most innovative, unconventional and cutting edge methods of warthog hunting ever.

This method has been pioneered by famed South African PH, and psycho international hog-killer, JJHACK. The footage was shot by his client, RAC, on a recent hunt in RSA.

The results speak for themselves. Enjoy!....

Warthog Calling Video

Remember....You saw it here first!!

Comments welcome. Big Grin

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows you need really big ivory to call in a big warthog. Why one time we were just clicking some elephant tusks together and...

Apparently they can soak up a bit of lead as well!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have my own way of calling warthogs and it works 100% and brings in the big ones...

The th th th that's all folks, repeat as necessary....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose I should set this up so that you will better understand the system.

First the idea came to me by watching North Amreican Hunters perform a technique called Rattling. I found the idea of tempting Deer to come and investigate a fight amusing. There is a little known fact that female warthogs fighting in a mud hole tend to attract male warthogs.

Hmmmm I felt that maybe pretending to be a female warthog would bring in the dominant males in the area. But how to pretend? Well using female warthog tusks seemed to be the most logical assumption. Obviously you cannot use male warthog tusks because the tonal quality of thick heavy ivory would be incorrect. You know how good the hearing of a warthog is!

There is something unusally attractive to the male of the species when they think two females are fighing or wrestling in the mud. Oddly enough I have heard this is also the case in some cultures where human males are concerned.

The first few attempts where not productive, I finally found some young female warthog tusks from a leopard kill. This female in the prime of her life had beautiful full rounded tusks. The were the perfect tone for the clicking that it seems all the big healthy males must come to investigate.

As a related part of this video. There can be great danger in this technique. Warthogs coming to the call fully expect to see females and are wired for this when they approach. The Hunter Roger used a 375HH and made 3 hits on this big male. I have not had but a handful of hunters in my career that could have made that third shot. The big boar was so fired up with anticipation of his female warthog show that his adrenilin was flowing in high quantity. Even shot through the chest with a 270 grain swift A frame at 70 yards was not enough to stop him. The second shot at 130 yards was enough to roll him off balance and then the third shot at 170 yards, which was also a hit still did not fold him up for good. He managed to travel still further requiring some follow up tracking.

Imagine the difficulty killing one of these fired up focused and dedicated warthogs with a lesser caliber! Be prepared for excitement and danger when attempting this method of taking trophy warthog.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I found warthog one of the toughest things to drop on my trip to Namibia. Fun looking for them though

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2598 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess the male warthogs like female mud wrestling as much as we male humans! Big Grin

Now if you could just find a Hooter's for warthogs you'd really get the bigguns. But then again, it might be really hard to stop a hog who'd been drinkin'
jump

I've killed one whole warthog with a NP from my 9.3x62. It blew a handball sized chunk of lung out of the exit hole. He ran about 75 yards with blood blowing 3' out either side and then painted a ten yard circle of blood where he spun around a few times and died! I was impressed to say the least.

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Warthogs are definitely tough, especially when they get their adrenalin going. I shot one with my 375 H&H through the chest, only getting one lung that took a lot ot tracking and finally took 2 416's to bring down. My wife shot a perfect double lunger on one in 2003 with a 180 Partition that we didn't find till the next day when the scavengers pointed it out to us.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Wow. I wouldn't have believe it. I have only two warthogs to my credit and both fell readily to point of hsoulder shots from my 300 Weatherby and 180 Partitions. Great Video! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
How can this be???...I've been told a thousand times African game can not be patterened and what works in North america will not work in Afica.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
African game can't be patterned? Who sold you that bill of goods? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
African game can't be patterned? Who sold you that bill of goods? jorge

Don't worry I didn't buy it either.

It is a stardard lecture given to American bowhunters. Maybe not buy outffitters & PH's here that know better... Wink

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Canuck:
It's asking me for a password and logon info.
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This guy might be a crack shot, but someone needs to teach him how to use a bolt action rifle. Eeker

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of roebuck222
posted Hide Post
Firstly I have to state I have never shot a warthog and probably wont anytime soon...however
I Watched the video several times at normal speed and in slow motion and to my eye and in my opinion the hog was hit too far back,at least it appears that way from the impact /exit dust trail,and also from the way the hog sits back up after initially dropping.
I have shot plenty of deer with a heart/lung shot and fired up on adrenaline...ok a deer 'aint a hog (obviously) but in my experience animals dont act the way that hog did when chest shot...(watch all the other AR videos for what I would take to be (normal))
I doubt wether the hog would have been recovered anytime soon if not for the follow up shots.
But if as you say the hog was chest shot first time....well ok.

Roebuck222

Posts: 165 | Location: Scottish Highlands | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I hope you are kidding but whatever works I never belived in rattleing deer til I saw it done.

that last shot was truly amazing---------luck

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted Hide Post
great video it tookme 3 shots to get mine last august and the first was a quaterung shot in the shoulder. i was using a 300 win mag with trophy bonded bearclaws. there tough critters and so cute too.

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Here in argentina its impossibly to call hogs in this for i tried but i only scared them so i wait for them in water holes or use my dogos ,in south africa you have the excellent boerboels and the rhodesian ,do you use dogs for hunting pigs ,do yu hunt with knives or spears.juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
That would explain why I shot mine in the wart! While he did dog pedal in the edge of the pan for the very longest time ever... he never ran nor swam away.

beer

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Agnostic has to do with religious beliefs, likely not relevant to warthog behaviour. Perhaps antagonistic was the intent?

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe there is a warthog religon? If so they may think I'm a priest calling to the congragation.

ALF, I'm sure it's the full rounded curves of this nice pair of young feamle tusks that do it. I have never had any luck using long thick slighly curved male tusks. The tonal quality is incorrect from big males.

It has never worked away from a watering hole or muddy area either. It needs to be done near a wet sloppy area. So far only the female tusks have worked, coincidence? At least so far in my very successful recent attempts.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
A priest calling the faithful to watch female mud wrestling? My kind of guy and rather a refrshing change from some of the priests recently in the news!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
warthog religon

The Cult of Porcinality??

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, now I suppose I have to change my name here to "Father JJ"

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Maybe that is why when people ask me what it was like hunting in Africa, I say it was like a religious experience.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
And here I've been working so hard at all the local watering holes to try to keep the pigs from coming! beer

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Perhaps your local porcines aren't as cute as the average warthog?

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
And here I've been working so hard at all the local watering holes to try to keep the pigs from coming!

If it was the mud-wrestling that attracted you to your local watering holes, I may have to change your nickname to "Pumbaa". Big Grin sofa

posted Hide Post
JJ,

Have you considered forwarding the video over to one of the big American call makers? They might be interested in making sort sort of device to mimic the female warthog antlers like they do the artificial whitetail antlers..who knows you might get a dollar or two towards a hunting trip or something..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
stubbleduck,

I think you've hit the nail on the head!

Canuck,

Nope, no mud-wrestling at the local waterholes - at least not as an organized sport! Sometimes it's a scramble through the parking lot, though. hijack

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is Rogers warthog which he shot in the video.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know guys!

I would advise extreme caution on calling females around watering holes. Although it seems easy, the hidden trophy fees could run as high as 1/2 of everything you own!
eek2 roflmao

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
And if, in the morning, it turns out she's NOT a trophy is there a fee adjustment?

one of us
Picture of OMUHONA
posted Hide Post
I am always a sport for something new, but experience have shown that a warthog's hearing is as bad as it's eyesight.That hog could have been on his way to the waterhole anyway.
When warthog fight, they face eachother nose to nose and strike sideways to the head with intervals. The sound of tusks connecting is singular and not a long rattling sound.
I am willing to try it though.

Posts: 74 | Location: Felseneck-Namibia | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Roebuck here; I have never hunted warthog, but I too watched the video several times and it appears to me the hunter broke a cardinal rule in hunting; Dont stop shooting and/or Admiring the shot. I timed the shots and I got almost 5 seconds between the 1st shot and the hog getting up. Then another 8 seconds before the second shot, for a total of 13 seconds between shots. Now I too must give the shooter credit for the follow-up shots, hitting moving game is TOUGH and he pulled it off, but it seemed he should have kept shooting to begin with. But, as they say, hindsight IS 20-20. I did enjoy the video and the technique; we tried a hog call tape here on the red river and all we got was aching eardrums from listening to it.

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think up to the point of this warthog Roger had shot and dropped 6-7 animals all with a single shot. All of them fell within reasonable or expected distance of the impact point. Some fell at the shot right where they were standing. This Warthog was the only animal that ran like this and left him momentarily stunned that game could actually survive a 270 grain 375HH bullet through the body.

As in so many posts on this site the "magnifying glass" comes out to scrutinize every action of the people involved. I hunt like this for my living a good part of every year and take a lot of people hunting. This adds to a significant amount of game shot with folks of very different skill levels.

Looking back now on the video another shot while that warthog was in shock would have been great but it's simply one of those things that you can only say after you watch a video. It's not likely that the majority of hunters who have just crumpled a 1/2 dozen animals many 5-8 times the size of this warthog would have considerd the need for a second shot on this warthog.

I'll take the kind of shooting this man was capable of every day of the week with my hunters. I have likely had a handfull or less that are his equal in 20 years combined hunting as a Profesional in USA and RSA.

Not denying that a quick second shot would have been prudent, it was just not in the cards during this event. It would be nice if we could all see a video of our shooting and could then correct anything we wanted to change. Unfortunately it does not work that way. This is a real world clip of a warthog hunt and you get the whole sequence of shooting just as it happened. Nothing hidden, exposed for all to see. If you learn how important follow up shooting is from this then it only stands to make you better.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:
warthog religon

Most of the older guys here missed that, I bet, but at least one got it. I saw them open for the Stones on the 80s. Anyway, nice one, Canuck! Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of roebuck222
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJHACK:
If you learn how important follow up shooting is from this then it only stands to make you better.

thumb well said...aim,fire,reload.

Roebuck222

Posts: 165 | Location: Scottish Highlands | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:
warthog religon

Most of the older guys here missed that, I bet, but at least one got it. I saw them open for the Stones on the 80s. Anyway, nice one, Canuck! Wink

Thank you, thank you very much. Smiler

I figured only a few might get it. Glad you thought it was a good one too. beer

Cheers,
Canuck