New
Find
Notify
Tools

Defense in a leopard attack
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've never been to africa, but hope to in the future. I finally got my four kids raised & I am saving for a safari. (one of these days!) Just wondering is it illegal to carry a handgun while on safari? Of all the leopard attacks I've read about I never heard of anyone defending themselves with a handgun. Seems like it would be the ticket when a leopard is on you, rather than have someone try to shoot it off of you, & risk shooting you. Don't get me wrong I'm not proposing hunting leopard with a handgun but just having one is case one gets up close & personal. Why wouldn't a PH carry one when going after a wounded leopard? Am I missing something?
Regards Mike

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Last I heard you could take a pistol to Zim. Taylor was a big proponent of such.

Most (or all) don't bother. The point is to kill it the first time around. If somebody can't get it done with a rifle, I'm not sure I want to be anywhere in the neighborhood when he starts blazing away with a pistol.

The new Zim appy regs have a pistol markmanship test for river guides (for crocs and hippos). The point being most guys can't hit the barn with the pistols they are carrying (but that is pretty much true of everyone, including the coppers).

Posts: 19313 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It can't hurt to have a handgun at your side.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On my first safari in Zimbabwe one of the PH's requested I bring a box of .44 mag ammo for him. When he follows up on a wounded leopard he carried a 12 ga. pump and a .44 mag. on his hip. Further he thought anything less than a .44 mag. was a waste of time. He told a rather hair raising story of one man being lifted by his head by a wounded leopard while unloading 10 - 9mm rounds into the animal. The animal evetually let him go after a severe mauling and walked off and died.

When I went to Zimbabwe I saw a hunter checking a handgun through customs with no problem.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several sources have said that the most common cause of fatal injury during a leopard attack is gunfire: your buddy shoots you or shoots through the leopard and hits you. Most leopard attacks on a group of people (as compared to a single hunter) are said to involve a quick clawing/biting of just a few seconds, then on to the next victim. So shooting a leopard off someone is a very dicey proposition. Hitting one as it comes in on a charge is pretty tough, too. Best to avoid the problem if possible (brilliant thought, huh?), same as being attacked by any other animal.

Having said that, I've carried my Browning Hi Power 9mm on both trips to RSA. I already own it, shoot it a lot (duty gun), and the greatest danger is always from people. Around people I load with JHP, around animals I load with NATO ball because penetration for a head shot may be the only option. Oh, and did I mention that avoiding the situation is the best idea?

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Bert Klineburger tells a couple of good stories in "International Hunter" about Gerard Pasanisi, who--in the old days (it can't be done now)--used to carry a .45 auto on his hip while working as a PH in Tanzania.

With his pistol only, at very close quarters, he killed at least two attacking leopards his clients had wounded. I am not a fan of using handguns of any sort against dangerous game, but when the choice is between a ready pistol and my bare hands . . .

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about you guys, but I always take a handgun with me where it is legal to have in possession. I agree that a rifle with sufficient power should've done the job. What if it wasn't you who made the shot where the DG is going to retaliate? Personally if my long gun gets knocked loose somehow, I'd rather use that than my hands or a long knife.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just returned from a hockey game, and those goalies look ready to take on a leopard . Even a good defenseman ought to be able to come out unscathed. But unless they are European or French, they will have to go it without a visor .

Sorry, the last line was a Canadian/Don Cherry joke.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike

When a Mr. Spots attacks you only have time for one shot..If he hits you he bites and scratches with mouth and all feet...He will be just like a pin ball machine bouncing

around hitting any and all he wishes... I do not think you would be able to draw your handgun if the cat was on you...

I think a great gun for cats would be a cut down 458 with a nice soft expanding nose...IMO...

A person who has his rifle and or handgun must be a cool operator when shooting in a stressed moment and emotions are at an all time high.. Over 80% of all Ph's injured come from Mr. Spots..Yearly..

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Izzat some dry humor?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know one PH that carries a 44 on his hip while following up wounded cats.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The PH Roy Sparks was charged, and bitten, and clawed by a Leopard in Zimbabwe, a few years ago, while he was trying to kill the Leopard, with another PH's (Merk Butcher)handgun that was hideing in the rocks of a Kopje! The ploy didn't work, and the cat was shot off him by Butcher with a rifle.

This is all on film from SPORTSMEN on FILM, called "LEOPARD CHARGE"

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote