Find
Notify
Tools

Couple of spare days in Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Everyone,

I will be in Namibia this May. I have a two or three days of down time and would like to chase a critter or two. Any suggestions on outfits that will accommodate a short hunt like this that is within a reasonable drive of Windhoek?

Posts: 211 | Location: West of the Big Muddy | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
You might try Andre and Eitaalo safaris. We have been there twice and enjoyed the hunt and the people very much. www.eitaalosafaris.com.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also contact Danie Van Vurren. He's a PH (owner and operator of Trophy Trackings Safaris) and rancher near Outjo. He sometimes has some short openings. I hunted with him a few years ago, and we see each other every so often and keep in touch. His email address is orpheus@mweb.com.na
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a short hunt during my honeymoon with Shona Hunting Adventures and would highly recommend them.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Mt. Etjo Safaris, run by Jan Olofse's widow and son, has been in business longer than most safari companies in Namibia. They're only a couple hours north of Windhoek.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend Hannes Du Plessis. His farm is about and hour southeast of Windhoek. Very nice accomodations, good trophy quality (especially kudu) and he and his wife Geraldine are two of the best people you could expect to spend time with.

http://www.bergzicht-hunting.com/

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input both public and PM everyone! Got several leads to pursue.

270 - is Andre the original owner/operator at eitalo? I was there once as they were set to open up in 2004. Cannot remember the owner's name at the time but he did not look like Andre if I recall correctly.

Jorge - I met Hannes very briefly a few years ago and had a very positive impression. Not sure why I didn't remember Bergzicht right out of the gate!

Thanks again everyone.
K

Posts: 211 | Location: West of the Big Muddy | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Kernel, Andre is the original PH and operator. The land owner was more involved at the begining one or two years. He came to Reno with Andre for two trips and then backed off of his involvement. His name was Hienrick or Hendrick, I think.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may also want to consider Christi Liebenberg of Hatari Safaris...A 1-man operation & you will enjoy hunting w/him 100%. He specializes in hunt add-ons b/c his wife does vacation tours and the husbands often want to do a day or more hunting. They are both born & bred Namibians.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah. Hendrick sounds right now that you mention the name. Definitely a nice place. The lodge and cabins were not quite finished when I passed through, but you could easily see life would be comfortable while there.