New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couple questions about bolt-actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I looked at a Ruger #1, and I started getting those old thoughts again... "I could send it here to have X done, and here to have Y done..." and see it again in a few years, and I need it by the fall (really by Sept. It'd be easier to put it in w. some equipment we're sending over than to fly with it.)
So here are my options, or at least what I'm thinking about right now -- keep in mind, the gun will probably be staying there, so nothing too hard to replace:

Kimber 84M in either 300 Win Mag, or 338 Win Mag -- leaning more to the 338, just because I don't have one. I know I like Kimbers, as much as I like any other bolt-action, but that MIM stuff bothers me a bit, for a gun that can't really be serviced.

Or Ruger M77 in 375, w. a trigger job, and maybe an action polish. While this is based purely on my experience w. their revolvers -- Ruger seems to make darn indestructible guns, which seems to be a plus for a gun that can't really be sent back to the factory if it has a problem.

Limbsavers, or some other pad on both.

Am I missing something? Are Ruger rifles not that dependable? etc. etc.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the only problem i have with Rugers are the triggers.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
It'd be easier to put it in w. some equipment we're sending over than to fly with it.)
So here are my options, or at least what I'm thinking about right now -- keep in mind, the gun will probably be staying there, so nothing too hard to replace:

Am I missing something? Are Ruger rifles not that dependable? etc. etc.

Aglifter, where are you going in Africa? If you're going to South Africa you'd have to travel with it and you'd have to take it back with you when you leave.

One of my clients used a Kimber in .308 on his hunt and it is a great rifle. I've used my Ruger M77 in .375 for everything from Duiker to Buffalo and it has never failed me. It is quite heavy to carry day in and day out but the upside is that the heavy barrel reduces recoil and it is a pleasure to shoot with.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Aglifter,
Some do and some don't, but I happen to think that the Ruger Magnum Deluxe rifle in whatever caliber offered is one heck of a value in today's market of big bore bolt guns.
It is a purpose built rifle for heavy duty, dependable, every day useage. Trigger a bit on the heavy side, but that can be altered fairly easy, front sight bead/blade needs to be improved with larger bead or perhaps sourdough type blade, if optics/scope used the mounting system is rock solid(and included with the rifle!!) and the pricing when all the owner benefits and features are considered is reasonable compared to others out there that are perhaps going to require trigger replacement, stock replacement, add barrel band for forward swivel and you have equalled or exceeded the purchase price of the Ruger. Product support has to be one of Ruger's key assets and to top it off, it is made in the U. S. of A.!!

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Ruger in 375 is an excellent gun. Sometimes hard to find, but get one.... get a trigger job, and a better pad on it and go hunting. Nothing else needed to be done to it.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be going to Zambia. I think I might go w. the Ruger -- now I just have to find one.

Thanks for all the opinions

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a Mauser-based rifle. The action is bullet proof, you can get parts anywhere in the world, and every gunsmith knows how to fix them. Get a synthetic stock with an Al bedding block. (In other words, buy a "Bad Boy" rifle from us!)

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what the factory says, bed the Ruger. They are extremely accurate & reliable, but if they are not bedded and the wood around the tang relieved, you will probably crack the stock.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll like the Ruger RSM. they are definitely several notches in finish and smoothness above the standard 77, as they should be. The Ruger trigger isn't anything to worry about as they are cheap and easy to fix.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aglifter:

For what it's worth to you, on my one and only trip to Africa (1993) for buff, I carried a Ruger in 375 H&H. It was not a light rifle but from day 1 that I first fired it (and I fired over a thousand rounds of 300 gr.ammo before I ever saw Africa. The bolt action worked for me without ever failing - and I did practice for quick 1-2 shots, believe me, because I was determined not to disgrace myself in front of the PH. Fact. I agree with Lv Eric and did have the trigger honed down a bit. (and I shot M1s once upon a time!. I never thought I would complain about a trigger after that -and really didn't about the Ruger - but I figured I was off on a once in a lifetime trip -and that I might get shots at longer ranges on other animals besides a buff so I had the trigger honed for me. I guess, in my usual longwinded way, I'm trying to say that the Ruger, a factory rifle, bought "off the shelf" is a worthwhile rifle. Whatever you end up with, good luck!

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
SBT - I'm with you on the issue with the tang and the possible cracking. As most of the readers here know, I fought Ruger seriously in May and June over a .458 Lott that broke 2 stocks in a row straight out of the box. I did end up taking it to Zimbabwe and it worked fine, but I've decided to either get it bedded or have a custom english walnut stock built for it.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote