Find
Notify
Tools

Selous '05 (Anticipation to End)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
It's July 2nd and I'm really getting excited about my trip to the Selous with "kick the tire and light the fire" about noon on the 25th.

So far, there has been lots of preparation.

I booked this trip while sitting on a laupa overlooking the Limpopo back in June of 2004. I was settling up with Pierr'e von Tonder with whom I had spent almost three weeks chasing elephants, buffalo and plains game in two countries and three different concessions. I hadn't used up much of my deposit and a 1 on 1, 10 day hunt for buffalo in the Selous seemed to fit right in the financial ballpark.... Done deal.

Stuff began to happen almost immediately, as it always does. Other folks wanted to go, we at A-R decided to sponsor Russell Taylor on a buff hunt, etc. After sorting everything out, my dates (and the other guys') were firmed up as follows:

Jim Sherman (jjs) goes the week before me.
I charter in on the 27th and we have three days together in camp (with two PH's).
Sherman flies out on the 30th and Russell, 1115 and a fellow named Lee Davenport charter in.
The four of us hunt 4/2 for seven more days, each of us having 2 buffalo on license along with the normal plains game.

I particulaly like the schedule because I'll have three days with Pierr'e to get a buffalo, (Sherman will be hunting with Richard, Pierre's brother-in-law) then I can kind of relax when the other guys get there, maybe film them some, etc... but really enjoy them enjoying their first trip to the Selous! I really, really look forward to that!

I decided on taking two rifles for this trip. My Westley Richards .450/.400 3.25" and a repo Winchester M1895 in .405 Winchester.

I've had quite a problem getting the W-R to shoot to my satisfaction. When I first received the rifle, I had a total of four whole cartridges. I fired them at 50 yards and they made a tiny little cluster about 1.5" across, one inch high and 1/2" to the right of the little "x" in the bullseye. I've got it made, I thought.... wrong...

Hornady had agreed to make me dies if I'd send four fired brass to them. I did so and then borrowed some dies from an AR member to work up loads since the wait for the Hornady dies was months. Murphy ruled. I bought a bunch of HDS brass and discovered that the last batches they made were too large at the base (right at the rim) to fit in the chamber of my rifle. Even full-length resizing didn't get out the bulge. Then I couldn't find any Bertram brass. Of course everyone was out of .411 bullets, then I forgot whether the "magic" load was Hodgon powder or IMR... and I tried every variation of brass and the 4831's I could figure. Everything shot right barrell 3" low and 2" right and left barrel, 3" low and 2" left... I pulled all my hair out!

Finally, I tried 81 grains of IMR 4831 with Woodleigh solids and shot a 3" circle right around the bull with 8 shots... That'll do! and with 1/2 grain more of powder, the Woodleigh softs went right in the middle of the bunch!

That done, I began to work on the .405 Winchester. I'm quite aware that many folks don't think this rifle, either as Teddy Roosevelt used it or with today's factory loads, is whoop-ass enough for buffalo. I agree.

But, never fear! Mike at North Fork Technologies made me up some "experimental" 330 grain solids and cup points. I'm looking forward to shooting them Monday morning, trying to get a load that will truck along about 2225 fps, and energy over 3500 ft.lbs. and a sectional density of .279, it is a whole new ballgame... 9.3x62 stuff... but I have another ace up my sleeve.

I lengthened the throat in my M1895 just a bit and found that I can load Woodleigh .411 solids crimping at the channelure and the bullets don't engage the rifling as before. I also found (and had folks on AR kindly donate some) obsolete Barnes-X bulles in .411 at 350 grains. Both shoot very accurately in the lever gun, particularly since I added a "period" Lyman model 21 peep... So, even if the North Forks don't work out, I've got 400 grain Woodleigh solids at 2000 fps and Barnes-X's (350 grains) at a little more umph... The only problem is that due to the backwards taper of the M1895 magazine, I can only fit three rounds of the long Barnes and Woodleigh bullets or they will stick and nothing feeds... and jumping out of a Land Crusier after buffalo sometimes doesn't give you time to do anyting but rack in a round... and the resulting total of three (one chambered and two down) ain't good.. But the North Forks feed all five just fine! Can't wait to check the velocity and accuracy.

Both Jim Sherman and 1115 called at work yesterday to see how preparations were going. I've kicked the fax machine a dozen times trying to get the Dutch transient forms to Amsterdam (or wherever they go) so there won't be any bumps in the road for me an 1115, there. I think I got it all done right, but you don't know until you get the permits back.. a little angst there.

For the first time, I succombed to Harry Hunter and bought a Tuffpac with the saddle bag, too. It is really a fine rig and I like being to combine the two into one piece of luggage. I'm sending Mims a few bucks for a TuffSac on Tuesday. Why not go for the full-meal-deal and with all the charters, having "soft" luggage capability will make it easier if things get crowded. (I used to pilot charters while in law schood, and flew more than one "stiff" without a coffin. I KNOW the problems of getting big stuff in small airplanes! Roll Eyes )

I just checked my seats on KLM for the twentieth time and it looks great so far. Aisle seats! Thanks Kathi!

I've found that about six pairs of socks, grundies and tee shirts are just right for a safari (with daily laundry). I always just go to WallyWorld and buy a package of each and don't even open them. They pack well that way. I'm shortly enroute to the store and will get batteries, a new 512mb memory chip for my camera (they've gone down 40% since last year!), a cheap pair of binoculars as a tip for a staffer, baby wipes and some sun-screen. I'll also shop for books to carry. I've already gotten Ron Chernow's biography of Alexander Hamilton. Steve Berry, who wrote the new bestsellers, The Amber Room and The Romanoff Conspiracy, is a friend of mine (he still practices law locally). He just has out his third book, The Third Secret, a book about the Virgin's appearance at Lourdes, and I'll take the new one, too. I think I'll re-read J.A. Hunter's Hunter, again. It is always good... I can't believe I was only five minutes late from buying his .500 Boswell at Champlin Arms this year. Now that would have been a thrill to hunt with!

I'm walking 3 miles every morning, to bump up to 5 shortly. Luckily for me, my coffee shop is exactly 1.5 miles from my house. About a two minute stop and I'm still exercising and have my coffee fix, too. My boots have made 3 safaris and are still going strong, but just in case, I walk with the "spare" set some, too.

I'm a list person. Before I go on any hunting trip, I make out a list of what I'd like to take, then trim it to what I need, then look for room to pack the "unnecessaries". One thing I do, that I learned from Fred Asbell, the great bowhunter and writer, is to roll up stuff and wrap them with rubber bands. I seem to get lots more clothes in a bag if its a tight cylinder and it seems to be less wrinkled that when folded or "wadded up".

I've got to decide soon if I'm going to stick with Larium. Lots of folks hate it, but I'm already crazy and dream about funky stuff anyway. I'm going to drink a bunch of gin and tonics tonight to warm up, in any event. Can't be too carefull. Heck, when I saw Ann of AspenHill in June, we practiced drinking gin... or at least, I did... poor Ann only got one drink before the guys wore out that bottle, just in case they ever went to Africa... but that was another hunt!

I'm lucky to live where there is a county health department that is very, very experienced with sending folks to Africa with MAP, International (the emergency medicine folks) and also the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, being local. They know their shot stuff and I'm current with innoculations, etc., since I just went to Zim in December. I'll take antibiotic cream and Ciprio (s.p.?)... also Immodium. I've got immunity from AIDS since I lived in San Fransisco in the 80's... Actually, I just put my part in the gun safe and leave it at home if I'm going to Africa. Dang if I don't get paranoid just taking a leak over there!

Jorge and wife are coming to the house tomorrow to share pictures of their recent trip to Zim with John Sharpe. Can't wait to see a half naked man.. thumbdown wish Mrs. Jorge wore the same safari outfit! thumb

There is peace in knowing that all (except for the charter in) is paid for. I just need tip money, bucks for the Sea Cliff Hotel and funny money. I hate... hate... trying to round up money at the last minute.

As I finish up this little bunch of thoughts, my primary anticipation is standing at the little airstrip in Tanzania, and with propwash blowing up dust everywhere, seeing the wide-open eyes of Dale, Lee and Russel, arriving on the trip of a lifetime, unsure of what to expect (having had their BS filters on) with deserved respect for the buffalo they'll hunt, anticipation of great food and friendship.. and a howl or two at the moon and the Southern Cross.

To continue if you haven't gone to sleep yet.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

Keep up the good work, can't wait till you post about the hunting.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZ!!!! Don't take Larium again!!! I remember last year in Zimbabwe when you saw crocodiles that no one else saw, and snakes and stuff. I will buy you some Malarone, and remind you to take it every day. You are absoloutely right. You are unstable enough without adding another reason to act crazy.

IMHO

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can't wait to see a half naked man..

Ernest, is there something your not telling us bewildered

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ernest: We'll be there tomorrow. I recommend you use doxicycline for malaria. THe only detractor is you must take it every day and for two weeks after you return. Sorry, I'm only bringing pics of dead animals tomorrow Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Judge,

From personal experience with a larium induced dream last year I can tell you Pierr'e will show up at your tent ready with a loaded 505 Gibbs and a flashlite.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Ernest,
Best of luck and good hunting. The anticipation can be as sweet as the hunt at times!
Russell

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Judge,

I got my list and planning shooting practice and a year in the gym and cycle riding...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

Looks like you are ready to go! Also, really, ditch the Larium and go with Malarone. No funky dreams with that stuff and you won't see crocs where they aren't!

I've got my gin under lock and key now to keep it away from thirsty doctors posing as fishermen. beer beer beer I think our friend Don_G is a believer in a good G&T now after a few that I made for him. Razzer PTL!!!

Tonight I will be enjoying one in front of a fire in my Michigan based lapa I built myself off the side porch (with field stone walls and a raised fire place). It's finally cooled off enough here where it is worth while to build a fire and sit by it in the evening with drink in hand.

I've been coaching Russell on attire to bring along on his buff hunt. He is squirming big time in anticipation! In return he has been helping me with some ammo problems of my own.

May the buff gods smile upon all in your group! thumb

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took Larium 3 weeks before I left, and 21 days while I was there, then 3 weeks after I got back. No problems, and no Malaria....
But then the Gin and TONIC may have helped too. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I certainly recommend Lariam if you can take it...the thing to do is take it before you leave and see what effects it has on you..if it does then go with Malarone and be sure and try it prior to leaving...Doxy is a poor substitute for Malaria protection according to the doctors that I have talked to, and it is also sun sensitive...I have seen the effects of Malaria on several PHs. Pierre included, and it ain't pretty....Its a horrible sickness....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Ray:

How many times do you think I've had the entire course of Larium? I started taking the stuff in 1071 during the third Crusade when I took the head of Musaid, the Great in a hand-to-hand battle over the writhing body of Serena the Beautiful... I think I won, at least as long as I could remember the dream???

I'm looking forward to Jorge's arrival tomorrow. Last time he brought me a bottle of 20 year-old Scotch! My biggest decisions for tomorrow are where I'll go to church and where the Jorge family will eat some good seafood. Times are hard. A good buddy and a beautiful wife, both full of safari stories and ready to buy my supper!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,
Enjoy the anticipation! My Mom always told me there were 3 "tions" for a trip. Anticipation,participation and recollection!! Funny the things you remeber your Mother telling you!
Anyhow, I just finished Doug's book about Pierre' and watched Saeed's DVDs with Pierre' and looked at my pictures with Pierre' for the umpteenth time to reassure myself that I wasn't dreaming about my Kudu! So I e-mailed Ray to find out how much this buffalo hunt is going to cost, I'm going to try for 2007! I probably could have made it next year but Pierre' "made" me shoot so many animals and then talked me into getting them all mounted! I'll be lucky to have the money by 2007! Good luck my friend, I think we at AR look forward to your hunts as much as you do!
Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge G,

Thanks for the updates on your upcoming safari. Your excitment is obvious and I know everyone here lives vicariously through your writings. I do hope you have nearly completed the "book" you were going to write. I look forward to getting a copy. Instead of buying books to read on the flight over, why not carry a lap-top and work on a few chapters while you're cruising at 39,000? thumb

Two months and two weeks till I make the return trip also.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG:

After almost a year of talking we will finally have the chance to meet face to face, I am very much looking forward to it! I could not have dreamed up a better place to meet than the Selous chasing after Buff!

I want to thank you for all the advice, information, etc you provided me during the past year and most of all for putting me on to what Africa and chasing Cape Buffalo is all about! As you say, I am ruint and totally addicted to chasing those Black Bulls!

Now just down to checking all my stuff and keeping my trainning going....just a couple of weeks and off we go!!

Now only if Ray was going...that would make things even more interesting!!

Regards,

jjs

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ha!, I foxed all of you this year, staying home for the first time in years..I'm roping this summer, reverting back to my cowboy upbringing..anti hunter of the year award!! clap Go slay your milkpen calves and be done with all of you!! (inside joke)...

As to the Judges last post, Taking Lariam??? I have no clue what the heck that was all about, maybe he was in his high dollar scotch that taste like peat moss!!! beer clap

At any rate Ya'll have a good hunt, and I know that you will, thats the only kind of hunt you can expect from M'toto van Tonder...Give my adopted daughter in law and son a hug from me..Shoot nothing less than 45 inch bulls and 30 inch Impala...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Best on of luck with the buffalo! I know I don't only speak for myself, when I say we are looking forward to your return and some great stories of the safari.

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Well folks, my wife and I just returned from a lovely evening with JudgeG, the highlight was getting to meet his gracious and charming mother in her beautiful home that overlooks a "sea" of sawgrass in the deep south. I even got to play with his WR double Smiler. We then had a great steak dinner and departed the pattern for the return 90 mile drive back to Orange Park. Thanks Judge for a wonderful Sunday afternoon! jorge & Dawna.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It feels good to read your thoughts again, life revolving on hunting the honest way.Preperations avoid headaches and you seem to take care of most,the sign of a seasoned veteran.
Enjoy and cherish your anticipation as well as the upcoming hunt with Pierre.Show them bulls no mercy.
I am booked for Oct 1st or so myself,to spend time with him for elephant,lion and buff.
My ammo has been reloaded and is sitting around eagerly asking :when ..

You brought up one item that is bothering me in my own preperations: the paperwork and gun schlamassal in the Netherlands.Are you staying overnight,meaning collecting your rifles,which to my understanding would require the permits etc.
I will camp out on the airport,cheap that I am,thinking I dont have to bother with it as the rifle thereby is checked thru to TZ.

Good luck and straight shhoting

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Sheephunter et al.:

I went to the office this morning and discovered that the Dutch may have a funky rule about transient rifles, but the minion handling the process is not an idiot.

I am checking my rifles straight to Dar (as are Lee and Dale, Russell, too, I believe). Still there is the possibility that some mindless fool, somewhere at some part of the journey might want to see the Dutch permit... or the plane may break in Amsterdam, who knows...

So we decided to fax the forms to the Netherlands to cover our butts. I had a heck of a time getting my fax to work. I'll never forget the number to fax the forms (011 31 050 21 523 83) (or something like that??? Confused ). My facimile machine was on the fritz and I got Dale's form sent, but the last page of mine, containing the first page of my passport and the 4457 didn't transmit. Dang if someone in Holland, instead of just trashing the whole thing, didn't send me a fax back requesting, quite politely, the missing documents. I sent them today, so we should be covered come hell or high water.

A praise to the Dutch, Crazy gun law or not!

Folks, if you're going through Amsterdam, why take the chance? The forms are on the Gracy site, btw. You'll need ticket information, passport and a copy of Customs form 4457. You fax them the info and it takes about three days to send it back. It does seem that they turn off their machines at the end of the day so you'd do best to fax very early in the morning to get the time change stuff right.

As to preparations, I've packed my new TuffPac and I've discoverd that I'll have plenty of room in the Saddlepac (or whatever you call the strap on bag). I'm going to get a couple of 6-packs of tee shirts in medium for the staff (in darker colors). Medium seems about right for the average African, btw. Just something extra besides money to tip, of course.

I always carry the following in my carry-on.. and this list, being about 1/3 of what you need on a safari, leaves bunches of room in the case and bag...

1. pants with zip-off legs
2. two extra t-shirts
3. light "wind" shirt"
4. slippers
5. tooth brush and paste
6. two extra socks
7. two books
8. "legal" fingernail clippers
9. toilette bag with meds, Ambien, anti-acid (everything but a razor)
10. ball cap
11. soft package of handi-wipes
12. hard candy and cough drops to fight "plane throat"
13. Extra key for guncase
14. Entire copy of papers (passport first page copy, copy of visa, copy of flight documents, copies of traveler's checks, copy of telephone numbers, copy of 4457, insurance stuff, MedJet card, etc.)
15.Sunglasses

I wear a very light vest over my favorite Harley shirt... In it are my passport, tickets traveler's checks.. all zipped in an interior pocket. Cash in a clip in my zipped pocket in my trousers along with my wallet. Tic-Tacs are really nice to pop about once an hour. Airplane pillows do me o.k. I grab on the second I get on board, along with a blanket. As with Mims, I have the other key to my gun case around my neck. I wear my regular boots on the plane, but take them off and trade them for slippers a.s.a.p.

If I had the bucks right now, I'd get an IPod and put three or four books on tape on it along with the Eagles, Pink Floyd, the Allman Bros., Hank Williams, Sr. and Ray'f favorite, Michael Jackson... not really...

For my .405 Winchester, I've got 33 North Fork FP's and the same number of CP's and will shoot them tomorrow. I'm hoping they do well because I'm not eager to pull all those bullets!

I'll post a picture with the results and the Chrony speeds.

Until later!

Almost forgot..
Last night I had the pleasure of listening to Jorge and Dawna tell me about their trip to Zimbabwe. It seems that the wife hung in there, making most of the hunts and had a great time. It was fun to see her add to the stories and talk about her favorite parts... It it was primarily the wine and kudu steaks, though! Great folks they. It's nice to know we have professional military folks like Jorge around. Semper Fi to them.

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

I got so excited about hunting after reading your posts, I went and packed all my stuff and I'm still 5 weeks out from our departure.

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement. As it happens, I'm leaving tomorrow for a week with Pierre. The Searcy and the 375 are ready, and I'm hopefully a little ready. First hunting trip to Africa, should be fun

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And thanks to everyone on this Board and Ray, without which this trip would not have been conceived of.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Bradhe:

Have a great one. Make sure to tell Silva (who'll meet you at the airport) to get me a couple of butane lighters for my cigars for my arrival on the 26th! You're going to be ruint like jjs, 1115 and the rest of us! Tell Anneli and Pierre to save some dry red wine and a Scotch or two for me!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

Call me...I have that Shell belt ready that you had requested...Need some feedback on its design - (866)-773-2677

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
A depressing day...

It always seems that the bigger the bubble you blow, the bigger the bang when things go FUBAR. I've been pretty darn excited about my trip coming up in 19 days until all kinds of stuff got dumped on me today.

First, Blue Cross notified me that my (and my children's) health insurance was cancelled in May for non-payment. I went ballistic with my bookkeeper until she showed me a receipt from the idiots that showed that I had a credit for about $900 that would have paid me through June 30th. When I called, I got a minion who told me that I could get no information over the phone because I couldn't give the proper "physical" address of the policies. I was sitting there with the bill/credit with my address right on the damn thing.

When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told that one would call me back in 48 hours. The lady wouldn't even entertain my faxing her the proof that I paid. She did allow that I would be reinstated if I paid $3000 immediately. I can promise you that I will get it all worked out, but I can't risk a single day without insurance for my daughters, so there went $3K that was put aside for trophy fees... and I'll bet a dollar to a dime, I won't get my money back until AFTER I get back in August.

I then discovered that a court in which I had filed an appeal "lost" all of my communications with them. I have all the time-stamped copies and will get this straight, too, but how do you charge a client for half a day's work in sorting out stupidity on the part of some dumb-ass clerk... it wasn't my fault or the clients, but there went 4 hours of my time.

Then my new receptionist threw up and went home.
Then, a client who I had high hopes for in a diversion program tested dirty..
Then I got a notice of several hearings when I already have a signed "leave of court" for my safari (more wasted time to fix that botch)...
Then we had to look for a title to a house trailer that was misfiled (an hour).. which was in a wrong file.. that's why I got a new receptionist.
Then another client called me and raised hell with me because she had received notice that here case was dismissed for failure to timely file a demand... I had the time stamped document and it only took another hour to fix that and unruffle feathers after showing the judge my copies.

What else...
Battery dead in truck this morning,
Dropped a hot cup of soup in the middle of a diner after burning my fingers.
Cable was inop this morning and discovered that ex-wife had transfered account to her name (actually not on purpose, I'll give her that much).

Crap... not every day before safari is good..

But... at 6:00 p.m. I returned a call from Jeff Wemmer.. God bless him. He made me a cartridge belt that he designed just for my fat body. What a guy. With friends like that, all the bad tastes just disappear.

I'm just going to stare at my blank t.v. screen, smoke a good cigar and drink some whiskey.

Semper Fi, my AR friends!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge- To respond to your earlier post, at the end of the Jackson trial when the media was doing their thing with his supporters outside court, I could swear there was a guy who looked just like Ray doing some AI like thing with a vet glove while moonwalking. Your post explained it. Have a great trip.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stuff happens. All one can do is deal with each particular problem one at a time until the next set of problems arise, do it all over again..

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Judge:

Good thoughts, my friend...Selous...Selous....Selous...

jjs is a pisser--you'll have a good time.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So is it JudgeG or Judgewannabe?

Have a better day every day than this bummer temper-tester-but-you-passed-with-humor day of today.

I had a great day, but I am not going to Afirca anytime soon.

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Jameister:

I retired from a full-time position in January 2001 and began practicing law again (mainly to afford two children's college funds and because I'm not much of a politician?). "Judge" (at least in the South) is a "permanent" and honorary title if you were on the bench long enough... kinda like in the Hardy Boys.

BTW, I don't "wannabe" anything but a lottery winner! Or have a job escorting buxom lasses on Safari.

Cool

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt, Ernest! Look forward to great stories in Dallas next year!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I feel like I living on a sine wave. Ups and downs every darn day!

Thursday I took my Westley Richards double and my M1895 Winchester out to shoot. Dang if the .411 bullets that Mike made "just for me" didn't keyhole. It seems that for some unbelievable reason, Winchester had made three different bore diameters in their .405's and mine was the .413 version. Since it shot just fine with Barnes X bullets (and Woodleighs, too) that were .411, I never thought to worry about it... but with the driving bands, the rifling just didn't engage... I've already paid the Tanzanian import money and gotten a Netherlands transient permit, too... so no changing horses in mid-stream. A downer...

Then I shot my Westley Richards .450/.400 and was very pleased to find that Woodleigh softs (with and extra .5 grains of IMR 4895) touched solids from the respective barrels. All I had to shoot at, forgetting my targets, was a torn in half envelope, but I never missed it even off hand at 50 yards... so I now have at least one gun jam up and jelly tight! An upper!

Then Mike wrote me told me he had discovered that HIS brand new M1895 was .413 bore, too... that he just can't afford to sell bullets that might go into bores from .408 to .413 because, inevitably, someone will get hurt... but.. and here is the ultimate upper... he'll go ahead and make me some .413 bullets for my gun... since we are sure about the bore... that is, before he shuts down on trying to "accomidate" the idiots at Winchester.
(My harsh words, not his.)

Anyway, Mike, God bless him, stayed up late last night and made me a bunch of .413 bullets and even tested some in his gun (also "overbore" unlike his pressure barrel)... they work perfectly and they are on the way!

What a guy is Mike at North Fork! I guess he gets dinner and drinks on me in Dallas at the convention next year!

15 days and a wake up!

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
What a guy is Mike at North Fork!

I'll second that -- very helpful and makes a fine product.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Well, folks:

I have about 12 hours before I'm on a plane enroute to Tanzania. Lots has happened since the last post. 1115 and his lovely wife have honored me with a nice steak supper and a bed for the evening right by the airport.

My somewhat "questionable" (i.e. according to 500grains and Mac) .405 is ready to go as is my Westley Richards double. I've checked my packing several times and finally decided if I have handi-wipes, nothing else much matters.

1115 has been looking hard at the W-R and may try to take his second buffalo with it. Poor guy will be hooked.

Work has been a real pain in the wazzoo this week, but with light at the end of the tunnel, I got through it without killing my dear Ida.

Wish me luck and say a prayer for the poor animals that I'll encounter... or maybe the other way around.

I'm out of here!!!! Suffer you peons until you are this short! I just hope the airline connections work... the world still turns on its axis and I can shoot somewhat straight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge- your friend here in Canada will pray that you have a safe eventful trip, shoot a big-um and recharge your Africa battery!!!

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I forgot.

I owe Mims $64, Mike $100 and 1115 a whole lot. If I die, please send them money in lieu of flowers...

Five Hours...

Reckon I'm excited?

one of us
posted Hide Post
God Speed, Judge G. Come home safely and with lots of stories.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote