New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zambezi Valley Late May/Early June
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A experienced member has suggested the Zambezi Valley would be a great choice for a late May - early June ( our only option date wise) free range buffalo hunt. Our budget will be for a 14 day hunt 1X1 . I would love to hear from hunters who have experienced the Zambezi Valley during these time frames. Have any of you experienced any hardships/conditions during these dates that kept you from being successful on your hunt? Anything else we should be concerned about in the Valley. What other game do you enjoy hunting in the low veld during this time of the year? Who do you consider the best PH's that specializes in the Zambezi Valley. Accompanying me will be a young man on his first major hunt. I am trying to avoid any major mistakes. Anything going on in Zimbabwe that could possibly screw up the hunt?

Posts: 736 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Hunted the lower Zambezi Valley in may many years ago for Buffalo, Hyena, Kudu, Bushbuck est.
The bush is a bit thicker than later in the season but otherwise quite fine.
Nice daytime temperature and cold at night

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Buzz Charlton runs a good operation.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Chewore South in mid-June 2013. Foliage was light. Temps from 40F at night to 80F during the day. The Kudu are in rut there at that time.

I was hunting leopard but saw a good deal of buffalo sign. That was with Chifuti. I don't know who has the concession now. Good luck!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With Charlton McCallum Safaris I hunted Dande North in mid June 2016 and Dande East in mid July this year. Mainly for Buff and had great hunting for mature bulls. Got lots of walking, which I really like, following and looking over herds and getting busted a lot with fickle wind movement. But saw a ton of Buff. Depending on daily travels bush varied from thickish to open but was far from impossible to hunt. This year the rains came later so the Dande East bush remained relativley green but was quite huntable. Advantages of the mid year timing is daily temperatures at generllay at their coolest ( reatively, as mid day temps become warm ) and pans still contain water so game distribution is wider with more animal movement daily. This suits hunters who like to hike in search of game. We ended up doing some big days on foot as we followed game around. Later in the year when many pans and soils have dried off and temps are higher the bush should be more open with game becoming more concentrated as animals limit daily movement and remain within closer proximity of water. On the CMS hunts there is usually a range of plains game animals also on quota.
I agree that CMS runs a very good operation. I think if you are considering a Zambezi hunt they are worth talking to.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Omay in June of 2011. There was a lot of green and the elephant grass was 10 feet tall. Morning were 40 degrees F and afternoons in the mid to high 70's. The ride back to camp in the evenings could get quite chilly.

We saw lots of buffalo and they were all fat and in great shape.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Buzz Charlton runs a good operation.

Thanks for the recommendation. Buzz has a very good reputation.

Posts: 736 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the replies and PM's!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted the valley in May for elephant and buffalo, it was one of the most enjoyable hunts I have ever had. Weather was pleasant and everything was green and beautiful. Wouldn't hesitate to hunt that time of year again.