New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Hunting Show Atlanta 2011
 Login/Join

posted
Good afternoon fellow hunters.

As some of you may recall, a few months ago I posted a thread that there will be a new all African Hunting Show in Atlanta on the 15th and 16th of Januuary 2011.

Some of the finest outfitters in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, C.A.R, Cameroon, Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa, Mozambique and Namibia have confirmed their booths for what will be the first all African Hunting Show in the USA.

All attendees to the show will be entered into a raffle of which one lucky hunter will walk away with a buffalo hunt in the Selous and another will win a plains game safari in South Africa.

For more information on the Atlanta show, please go to www.africanhuntingshow.com and click on the Atlanta tab. Please be aware that you need Windows Internet Explorer 8 to view the site.

Should you have any question at all, please don't hesitate to contact me on craig@thefuture.co.za.

Yours in good hunting,

Craig Smith

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Apart from it's location, what is it that recommends this hunter's convention over that of SCI's or DSC's? Is it a smaller version intended for those hunters that can't travel to Reno or Dallas, or is there some other distinguishing characteristic? Being Africa-centric can't be that significant inasmuch as the other shows cover Africa pretty well, and then some.

I can't help but wonder if there is room for a third national hunting show - all in the same month no less - given the barriers to entry, e.g., size of the market, member commitment to competitor shows, finite resources of target vendors, state of the economy. Am I missing something?

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
KPete:

I'm thinking the same thing. About ten years ago I was on the BOD of Georgia Chapter, SCI, and I know most of the folks in Atlanta who would--or could--hunt Africa. Altough I'm sure they would always be glad to look at alternatives, they've been there and have their favorite outfitters, booking agents, PHs, etc.

I really doubt an "All-Africa" show in Atlanta is going to pick up much business, especially by new and unknown exhibitors.

Perhaps some people from the Southeast who for whatever reason don't want to travel to Nevada or Texas might make a shorter trip to Atlanta. I kinda doubt it, but who knows?

Looks like the entrance fee is $100--$40 for both days plus $60, which gets you a subscription to their magazine. Certainly nothing to compare with Reno, but high enough to dissuade a lot of middle-class folks, like myself.

For the past few years GASCI's convention has offered free admission. The show isn't what it was in the late nineties but there are still a fair number of exhibitors.

Bottom line: my bet is that local (Atlanta) safari hunters already have their contacts; the show will make money and gain its exhibitors some bookings only if enough out-of-town customers are pulled in--and that means a lot of advertising outside Georgia.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SCI had 2 East Coast Shows back in the early 90s' One at Atlanta and one at Tampa. We had a booth at each. They were both pretty much a bust and were discontinued. I don't think things have changed but wish the new show well.
RIch Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what to expect since I've never been to Reno or Dallas but I plan to give it a go. If for no other reason than to see what it is like, to talk with some African PH's and outfitters, meet like minded hunters, etc. I won't be going to book a hunt but I'd like to see what it is all about.

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Scott on this, never been to Reno or Dallas but would like to see this work out for a show closer to home. Like Nitro said I have my contacts in Africa and that's who I hunt with when I go over.

BTW, since I do not have internet explorer 8 and can not access the site listed above, is the show still going to be at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead?

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I can see the attraction for exhibitors because it'd cut out a lot of the tyre kickers and brochure collectors etc.

I note the list of exhibitors isn't particularly large just now but it still has time to grow and there's some bloody good companies in that list so they obviously reckon it's worth doing. tu2

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, since I do not have internet explorer 8 and can not access the site listed above, is the show still going to be at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead?

Yes.

Entrance fee is $40 for both days "plus $60" which is apparently a required subsciption to their magazine.

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by shakari:
II note the list of exhibitors isn't particularly large just now but it still has time to grow and there's some bloody good companies in that list so they obviously reckon it's worth doing.QUOTE]

Yeah, there are some heavy hitters on the exhibitor list--John Sharp, among others. I hope they are not disappointed.

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post. I think I will go.

Posts: 149 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I like Atlanta much better as a convention hosting city. I might look at attending, thanks for the information.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think ASG or AHG, whatever, did a similar show in CN a couple of years ago and considered it a success so they decided to reach into the Southeast US where no similar show eists. Their magazine is most excellent.As far as I am concerned one of the very best on Africa.
I will likely attend unless being totally covered up by ducks somewhere!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Is anyone else having trouble opening this site? I could not open it at the office because I don't have Internet Explorer 8 on that computer. Now I can't open it on my laptop because my virus protection software is blocking it. It's telling me that it has a dangerous level of spyware associated with the URL.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it will be a bust...and if outfitters don't get bookings, they will pull out and not do it a second time around.

With the age of the internet, shows have taken on a new objective in my opinion. A common place for outfitters to meet potential clientel. Not so much close them on the spot, but allow for a face to face/handshake meet and greet. Or, it provides hunters a chance to meet and pay deposits.

I find it hard to believe that many would come to a show...see some hunt, and then just spontaneously book it on the spot. Now, I'm not infinitely rich, and if I was, I would prolly have that behavior.

In todays world, using skype, I can call and talk to anyone anywhere, affordably...

Unless you have an excellent agent here in the states, I think you need to have a spot at the major shows, DSC and Reno, to build up a reputation and put in some face time!

I go to the shows looking to meet new people and outfitters, and get ideas for future hunts...see what my options look like, the deals are never as good as the ones posted here on AR!

When outfitters have signs saying, Show special, I think to myself, so your pressuring me to make an impulsive decision for a great price, you mean I call you on monday, you're going to jack up the price? I don't like that kind of business!

Posts: 729 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May well be a bust but I will likely go anyway even tho:
A.) I have an outstanding booking agent, Weshixon.com if I choose to use a booking agent
B.) I have contacts in RSA, ZAM, TAN and ZIM that I can book directly with that I totally trust
C.) I like hunting shows esp when they come to me!! A two hour one way day trip beats hell outta costs for SCI or DSC !!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Myself and Hunter's Wife to Be are planning on attending. Its a 2.5hr drive and a hellava lot cheaper than Dallas or Reno. I hope it goes over well the southeast needs something like this.
Wesley

Posts: 681 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've attended the ASG show in Toronto; very low key affair. No crappy art/jewelry/furs etc....just some simple tables and chairs to have a conversation with an outfitter.

If your expective the SCI experience; this isn't for you. But I met a few new outfitters and a few AR posters also.

Maybe the more high-end outfitters just do Dallas and Reno; But the folks I talk to are on a tour of N. America and often Europe to do bookings; this is just another they can add if they want to.

Hope it goes well for all....

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
I will probalby take a drive down to Atlanta. Sounds like a good use of time.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they have got around to organising an "ETHICS COMMITTEE" yet? sofa dancing Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're an East Coast resident it would be great.

For me SCI and the SHOT Show are back to back, and that makes it a good drive from Idaho.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a 4 hr. drive and a daughter living in Atlanta beats going to Dallas ( I would not consider attending Reno )

Posts: 121 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote