New
Find
Notify
Tools

PH requirements
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who was it that said that a professional hunter had to be in part: a hunter, gunsmith, auto mechanic, cook, bartender, philosopher, etc. etc. etc. ...

The exact quote and reference would be great.

Thanks.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Capstick

“WANTED: Young active man interested in low and infrequent pay to play bwana in remote bush veldt. Must be proven raconteur and socialite without liver trouble, expert card player, bartender, caterer, barbecuer, philosopher, African historian. Experience in sanitary engineering, local architecture, labour relations, navigation, medicine and pharmacology, botany, zoology, ichthyology, mineralogy, entomology, butcher, taxidermist, dietetics, optics, photography and radio navigation essential. Applicant should speak at least two black African languages fluently as well as one other modern European tongue. A knowledge of mechanics, driving, gun smithing, toxicology, ballistics, tracking, marksmanship, hand loading, and experience as a bodyguard are required.Benefits are a twenty four hour day, unlimited fresh air, including rain, sun and dust, no medical dental or life insurance and no retirement benefits. Applicant should supply his own rifles. Vehicles on a per diem basis.The duties of a Professional Hunter on safari are essentially the same as those of a ship's captain and with the same responsibilities. He's everything from the social director to the ship's surgeon, if needed. He's the author of the strategy of the hunting plan, but also the tactician as to make each stalk. He keeps the peace among the staff, oversees the food and drink, translates and interprets, sees that the trophies are properly handled and is shooting coach, gunsmith, stand up comedian and diplomat any time he is called on to be so. A Professional Hunter is perhaps best summed up in the observation that he is the social equal of anybody while on safari, up to and including a duke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What? No citation? Wink

That's great. Thanks.

beer

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I can't remember which book it's in I'm afraid. I had the quote on my computer but no mention of the particular book.

Sorry about that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Steve,

I can't remember which book it's in I'm afraid. I had the quote on my computer but no mention of the particular book.

Sorry about that.

That is from Safari: The Last Adventure

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Crap no wonder im no good at it. . . .
dont know much about architecture coffee

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Excellent Steve, PHC did have a way with words !!!

Dave, you have to be atalented architect...surely you have built a camp or done some alterations????

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Oh, oh. Here's comes more PHC bashing again.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Oh, oh. Here's comes more PHC bashing again.

Bill Quimby

He was a romantic and we all share this trait to some degree.

I do not believe you can write about Africa unless you have truly experienced it, and much that I would like to bash him I was quite fond of the old bugger and he wrote about hunting and he wrote well.

Fiction or non fiction? Who really gives a toss and his books will always decorate our book shelves.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who really gives a toss and his books will always decorate our book shelves.

His books will always decorate my shelves!

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
His books paint such a graphic, romantic picture of African hunting, that many clients have probably booked their safari because of what they read.

Thankyou Peter, you helped us PH's in to having a great career, by ensuring a steady flow of clients.

I would be interested to know just how many clients have had their decisions influenced by these books?

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up on Capstick books. I had my son reading them at an early age and now my grandson will grow up dreaming about Africa because of his writings. Say what you will, thats a hell of a legacy.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Who really gives a toss and his books will always decorate our book shelves.

His books will always decorate my shelves!

+2 tu2

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave D.

That is a funny post. rotflmo

Cheers

Elton

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave, you have to be atalented architect...surely you have built a camp or done some alterations????

I built a brick crap house once. . . does that count??
good to hear from you Elton, hope all is well, missed you at the last S.C.I
keep well buddy

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
A brick crap house qualifies you as a member of Master Builder's association !!!!