THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    the INSANITY of planning for my first African Hunt

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the INSANITY of planning for my first African Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife, and my parents are going to Namibia in July. Simple, right? I have hunting gear, right? There are lists, and people to help, right? Oh, so much help is available.

What clothes? Which colors? Fabrics? Binoculars? Range Finder? Boots? Socks? Hell, even skivvies have been under the microscope. OK not literally, that might be a terrifying thing to actually do.

We picked our rifles, which I thought would be difficult, but actually was the easiest part. I built one for my Dad just for this trip. Got our brass, now which bullet. Well, ask around and see what people like and how they performed.

One makers bullets won't kill a squirrel even if you tape it to your tire and run over the bugger. Another bullet maker's wares will kill without even shooting it. The animal kingdom has passed down the lore of this bullet for generations. They know it and simply die of fright at the mere sight of it. You simply hold the loaded cartridge in front of you as you approach your chosen trophy. Kind of like how the Wonderlure is a fish magnet, but without the need for a free pocket fisherman.

However, that bullet is perpetually out of stock or on back order and the maker only runs it seasonally ever second leap year. Unfortunately, the non-squirrel killer is also out of stock for reasons not yet understood, but it has something to do with a NASA program.

There is an endless barrage of what if's and other questions. Seemingly endless overthinking of each detail. Waking up in the middle of the night, and jotting down some completely unimportant detail that at the time my brain said was critical to the success of the trip. I read it the next morning, and wonder if I should drink more, not less and write Stone Arrogant Bastard ale on the grocery list.

Trips to the range to practice. Shooting for the sitting position, then standing off sticks, and standing freehand. Working on my form, and being happy with my performance until my wife shoots and, well, she is a damn good shot.

Hours toiling at the reloading bench. Trimming the cases to the precise length needed. Annealing the cases that have a few loadings on them. Working up a load, then deciding that the squirrel bullet was a better choice, and working on that one again.

My wife and I planned less for our wedding.

Will it end? Is there a light at the end of this tunnel built in the Great Dismal Swamp?

Hell Yeah. This is hunting, and I live for it.

Its going to be a great trip whether I planned for it or not.

Thanks to everyone on this site, whether you know it or not, you have been a help. Sometimes if for no other reason than you made me smile.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yup you're going to africa alright

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:

Its going to be a great trip whether I planned for it or not.

It will be a great trip. My advice: hit the shooting range a bunch and do some walking in your hunting shoes to get yourself in shape and make sure that the shoes are broken in.

Wear darker earth-tone clothes. Take the stuff that is on the checklist.

Forgetting one thing, or everything, will not break your trip. In Windhoek $200 would get you everything you need for the hunt. Heck, $100 could do it in a pinch. Everything else can be borrowed/rented from the PH.

The only thing that you really need to insure a great hunt is a great attitude .

Take a deep breath and relax; you are going to hunt Africa!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Most people way over think the preparation and planning process. Then they over think and over do the packing. On the hunt they fret and worry about filling the skinning shed. After the hunt they wring their hands over the taxidermy. The one thing they typically do not tend to over think is the need to relax.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going on just my 7th trip in less than a month and I always have the same problem. How much and what to take...... You'd think by now, I'd have a plan. I tend to overpack, "just in case". Trying to do better this year. Good luck on your first.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
For me, and I have never been to Africa, but with the exception of hunts here at home where I simply get in the pick up and go to the blind, any big game hunt out of state I do, it is a minimum 30 days of craziness before I leave.

Hope you have a great trip.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be sure you take something warm for mornings and evenings. My first trip was in July and we arrived to a dusting of snow. Be prepared for near freezing mornings and evenings. I take a polar fleece jacket and vest plus gloves and a hat to cover your ears. They are the first things I pack!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
My plan since trip as with any other trip was couple, three sets of clothes ( simple )
Two pairs of shoes, gun, ammo and smile on my face
Hunting? Yes. Killing? You don't know till it happens, so?
No worries. Enjoy

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very excited for you all brother!!!

It'll change your life...I went 6 years ago with my son as a grad present...and there's not a day that has gone by that I don't plan or dream of returning.

Hopefully next year!!!

Enjoy every minute of the time of preparation..it's all part of the experience!

The ANTICIPATION is AWESOME and INCREDIBLE!!!

To you and yours my friend...Have a BLAST beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read the posts of Mr. Ted Thorn, who is apparently pulling his hair out in the same fashion that I am. I have zero doubt that his trip will be incredible. I wish him and his companions much luck and good weather.

This post started at the range on Saturday. I had carefully created boxes of loads for my wife's 7mm Mauser and my 9.3 Brenneke. They are Mauser actions, so they got German chambers.

I shot hers first and the 160gr Nosler's clocked just over 2600fps. Perfect, not too stout, not too light, and they printed two 5 shot 1.25" group. Good enough, and as the barrel breaks in, that may improve. She is hooked up and shooting well.

Now I get serious with my rifle. I was going to use 250gr Accubonds, but my stocks are low on those, and they have become scarce on the retail shelves. So, I picked up 500 286gr blemished Nosler Partitions. These were perched atop the brass holding in a healthy dose of RL 15. First 5 clocked 2480fps. Second 5 clocked 2515fps, third 5 clocked 2560fps. Damn. I was trying for 2600fps minimum. I thought to myself 2560fps isn't enough.

Then the sun came out and a small bird crapped on my arm (that is actually true). The ridiculousness of that last thought hit me. 2560fps isn't fast enough for a 286gr bullet? Lets see that is about 4150 ft-lbs of energy, hmmmm. Yep, that should handle a few unruly antelope and, if I am lucky, one leopard. I am waaaaayyy over thinking this trip.

I finished with some offhand practice, and packed it in for the day.

I realized that we could step off of the plane in Windhoek with nothing but our carry on luggage, and we would still have the trip of a lifetime. We would probably have better stories to tell when we got home, but I hope we get our luggage all the same.

Jeremy

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Wait until your tenth trip.

You wake up a couple days before the hunt and say, "I should probably start packing!"

It's part of the excitement. The preparation, the anticipation. I miss it actually.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I went on my first African trip to Namibia in August 2012. I would never use the term "insanity" to describe the planning phase- it was actually a big part of the enjoyment of the trip. I followed the advice of two AR veterans- Frostbit and M3Taco and they gave me great advice. After my awesome 8 day hunt my wife flew into Windhoek and we played tourist for a week. Etosha and Swakopmund were both awesome as was a guided day trip to the Namib Desert. A great meal at Joe's Beer Shack can't be missed. I booked a return trip with Jan du Plessis for May 2013 shortly thereafter and had an even better time. Trip #3 will be with my 11 year old granddaughter in June 2015. I've already wired my daily rates and a nice chunk of change toward trophy fees.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I'm getting ready for my 12th trip on the 23rd of June to the Bubye with Shaun Buffee and I began the preparation a couple of weeks ago! LOL!

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Never been done before.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will be my 15th or 16th in July. I always start like someone else said 30 days out. I take over my wife's dinning room table. start laying things out and remember someone new every day.
Works well for me. Don't forget Skin-so Soft for bugs and sun screen.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I booked my 3rd hunt less than a month prior to departure. Borrowed my PH's rifle, then bought him a few boxes of shells to replace what I'd shot. Didn't even check a bag - one backpack and one laptop case (no laptop, just clothes). Showed up, jumped in the truck, and went hunting. All you really need is binos, a pair of boots, a pair of sneakers, a few t-shirts and undies. Wear some light tan / green cargo pants and a light jacket during transit and you'll be guaranteed one of your hunting outfits will make it there. Don't worry about anything, and have fun!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
any big game hunt out of state I do, it is a minimum 30 days of craziness before I leave.

tu2

Heck, that's part of the fun!

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, don't get me wrong, I am loving every minute of it.

Like some of the veteran Africa hunters, I pack for an elk hunt about 5 days before I leave. That is old hat, and I know what I need. I also know where to get what I forgot.

It is the first one, so it is, to me, that much more important. It is my folks only shot at Africa, and possibly our last big trip together. They aren't getting younger.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Farbedo,

Went on my first Safari last May to Namibia and my wife went with me.
We ended up with one suitcase each and I paid $75.00 for my extra "Bag"--My Gun. Knew this on the front end.
I put a large basket under my desk and when I though of something, it got tossed in. A week before we departed, I did a cull.
Did not take Rangefinder because I was told your PH would know the range from experience.
Clothes: Took three changes--Shirt, Pants, etc. My color was "Forest Green".
Gun: .300 Weatherby Mag.
Ammo: 180 gr. Barnes TSX. My hunt was for seven Plains Game animals. All were taken in one shot except for a Blue Wildebeest and a Zebra.
Take a coat and gloves for cold mornings and evenings.

Good Hunting

MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote