THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Rem 700 SSDM 7mm rebarrel to 458 Lott DGR

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 SSDM 7mm rebarrel to 458 Lott DGR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
Hi
I bought a NIB Rem 700 SSDM 7mm I would like to make a DEGR out of the Action rebarreled to 458 Lott and installin a Sako extractor. Is this feasible, what work would be required, will the existing Mag work.
Thanks
DrB

one of us
posted Hide Post
DrB
Do not be offended, but it sounds like a "silk purse out of a sows ear".
Better I think to get a "proper" 458 Lott.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
Hi
I bought a NIB Rem 700 SSDM 7mm I would like to make a DEGR out of the Action rebarreled to 458 Lott and installin a Sako extractor. Is this feasible, what work would be required, will the existing Mag work.
Thanks
DrB

Sell that piece of garbage and get a real gun.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
You can rebarrel to any chambering you want, but your rifle will still be a Model 700, and for dangerous game purposes, you can do a lot better than that, and you should.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr B

I thought you were having some rifles built on Montana actions? Anyway rather than get into the old CRF verses pushfeed debate let me just say the clip is a problem. In a number of ways it is a poor substitute for a real magazine.

I think you would be much better off trading for almost anything rather than trying to make a DGR out of that SSDM.

Buying a standard 458 of about any flavor and haviing it converted to Lott should be a pretty simple process and not very expensive.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you would be way better off to sell it or trade it in on something else that you like in 458 Win...A good custom Mauser, a whitworth or M-70, even a Ruger safari....all nice rifles.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Keep your 7mm for plains game and now you need to buy another rifle for DG!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark
I was planning on a custom DGR on a Montana action but they keep pushing the shipping date back now it's next spring maybe. Also the quality has gone down on these actions.

I also don't have enough knowledge of mauser actions to know which one to buy.
DrB

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Ray
I just watched Saeed's Buffalo video. What action is he using?
DrB

One of Us
Picture of safariman
posted Hide Post
Another good option is to go with the CZ550, already chambered in .458 Lott, and have it smithed a bit. They are now available with good wood and there is a gunsmith in the Seattle area who makes and installs model 70 type safeteys and triggers. He also will slick up the action etc. and make a first rate DGR out of it. I am out of town right now, but if you want I will forward or post his info on Monday.

When you are but fifty feet from a beast that can stomp you into a mudpuddle or shred you into fajitas, rest assured he will have your UNDIVIDED attention!! www.aahsomeafricanadventures.com safariman416@hotmail.com

Posts: 66 | Location: Walla Walla Washington | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
Ray
I just watched Saeed's Buffalo video. What action is he using?
DrB

All of us hunted with a pair of custom rifles built on the Dakota 76 action, and chambered for our own 375/404 cartridge.

Going back to the original subject of this thread. Personally, I would have absolutely no problems hunting dangerous game with a Remington 700. The only thing I would do to it is change the factory extractor for a Sako extractor.

I have been using Remington 700s for years, and have never, ever, had any problems whatsoever.

In fact, I used one on my very first African safari in 1982

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
AND SAEED SAID: I have been using Remington 700s for years, and have never, ever, had any problems whatsoever.

WOW!

Saeed, you just silenced the entire room!

Wonder how many screens and keyboards got coffee and/or adult beverages spewed on them when that was read? Half the A-R faithful are busy copying that statement for insertion into future "Remingtons are junk" threads and the other half are saying " Oh Saeed!....say it ain't so!"

The silence is sure saying a lot!

(And yes, I do own both, pushfeeds and CRF's).

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I have been driving a car for years. Since 1980 in fact. And I have never, ever been killed by a drunk driver.

Therefore drunk drivers do not exist.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Good idea, cheer up the half with the long faces with some lawyer humor...how about some Racehorse Haynes...

"Haynes explained his philosophy years later before a speech to the American Bar Association:

"Say you sue me because you say my dog bit you. Well, now this is my defense: My dog doesn't bite. And second, in the alternative, my dog was tied up that night. And third, I don't believe you really got bit. And fourth I don't have a dog."

roflmao

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i owen a rem 700 it out back holding up my tomato plants.

for a real bolt action rifle look here

http://www.rbbigbores.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think DRG should check Dr. B's IP address to see if he is Carmelo.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
AND SAEED SAID: I have been using Remington 700s for years, and have never, ever, had any problems whatsoever.

WOW!

Wonder how many screens and keyboards got coffee and/or adult beverages spewed on them when that was read? Half the A-R faithful are busy copying that statement for insertion into future "Remingtons are junk" threads and the other half are saying " Oh Saeed!....say it ain't so!"

Matt,

I have no doubt that some people had problems with the Remington 700 - just as I have no doubt some have had problems with every conceivable action ever made.

But, from my own experience with these actions, I have never had any problems.

I've had one factory extractor fail. This happened on a rifle that was given to me. I cannot remember what caliber barrel it had, but it was in a bad shape. So we chamged the barrel and installed a 308 Winchester SS barrel on it. Added a synthetic stock and scope, and kept here in our range for guests to shoot.

I would guess it must have had about 50,000 rounds through it when teh extractor started to fail to extract the empty. Mostly military ball ammo. People shoot it until the barrel becomes too hot to touch. I have seen them put paper towels soaked in ice water on the barrel to stop the mirage! We replaced it with a Sako extractor, and the rifle is back in service again.

It is the most used rifle we have here. I think it has even surpassed the 22 rim fires.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:

WOW!

jump
shame
OH NO he didn't silence anyone here! The fact that Saeed has used a Remington for years and not had a problem changes nothing. The Mod 700 Rem is a glued together piece of junk, period! All the talk in the world will not make the Rem 700 into a real rifle. I have three Mod 700s,and a 788,that belonged to my father before he died, but they will never see Africa. I'll be damned if I'd risk a $20,000 DG hunt, not to mention my butt, on a K-mart rifle, or, in fact, any pushfeed rifle, regardless of price.

Dr B,One question, is the 700 a left hand action, if so I understand your picking of the 700, but being a lefty is the only thing, I can think of, that would make me buy a Remington 700. I think you would be much better off by useing the Mod 700 to shoot deer, and be damn carefull where the thing is pointed when you release the safety, or sell it! Eeker Then get a real rifle for DG! Pick up a Ruger 458LOTT, and have a good smith slick it up, if needed, or a CZ550 458 LOTT, if the price of the Ruger is a problem. Any NEW rifle you get that is intended for Dangerous game should go to a real gunsmith for a check up, to assure feeding is reliable. beer

All the above is simply my opinion, and means nothing to anyone other than me! boohoo

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote