THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    the old brass correct head stamp question

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the old brass correct head stamp question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey all: I'd like a poll of sorts as to how many have had their cartridges checked for correct headstamp & what country? Some hunters I know have had theirs inspected (Zim), and others not in other countries.
I'd appreciate any comments on who has had theirs checked & what countries.
Thanks,
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I did not have headstamps checked in S. Africa.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no check ever done--south africa, namibia, tanzania, new zealand, canada. canadian officials had a panic attack when the box of cartridges was not full after the hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 Time thru Joberg and checking of ammo was not done. In fact last year I even left my ammo in my suitcase and they did not ask about it.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like security in Africa rates right up there with the US TSA. animal

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typicial Canadian, duh!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine were not checked in Namibia.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems to be a very random thing which you can probably talk your way out of, except in South Africa where they are more uptight about ammo but still inept. No one has ever actually looked at my ammo except TSA, and it seems they are just curious about what gun I am shooting and what animals I am hunting.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had headstamps checked anywhere in 44 years of leaving good ol' USA. The old Central African Empire was up tight about counts coming and going so they could tax the hell out of you for shooting it. Made for very expensive birds for the pot!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
In Tanzania last month and all they cared about coming in was how many cartridges so they could tax them. No attempt to verify headstamp.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
One has to realize we are talking about AFRICA! It all depends on which customs agent you happen to come in contact with.

I had my ammo checked for caliber, but not by headstamp. The agent in Lusaka Zambia looked at the boxes and read the lable I made and placed on my ammo ot J&J smoke colored traslucent 20 round ammo boxes. He could see the ammo through the plastic, but only counted the rounds, and took the lable to be factory on the sealed boxes, so he could collect tax. When I left the country the next time I was there they only checked the number of rounds I was takeing out. The agent questioned me as to why I was takeing empty cases out! When I told him I reload them, he gave me the dumbest look I've ever seen, and it was lost on him as to what I was telling him.

I've had my ammo counted many times, but my boxes are always labled, and sealed, so the headstamp is not readable. They've always taken the lable to be true! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think this whole "head stamp" thing started by Art Alpin, of A-Square because he wanted to sell his brass.

We have some A-Square made brass for the 577 T.Rex. And, frankly, it is just plain awful.

The only brass that I have used that could possibly be worse is Bertram brass.

In al my travels to Africa since 1982, I have never had anyone check the headstamp of my ammo.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all! I have a friend who hunts in Zimbabwe...he's had his ammo headstamp checked several times..Boddington recommends headstamp correct...my friend is a bug on headstamp issues...apparently he was bothered enough to worry about. My concern was if I used a wildcat on a parent case with a diff. headstamp. Although it may seem a silly issue, officialdom being what it is..I wondered about the issue and thought this forum would be the place to ask. If any other viewers have had any problems, please chime in with your experience. I like the idea of having labels made and seal up the boxes. Officialdom will take things at face value, so would stop there.
The only time I spent in jail was when I was arrested in the Malagasy Republic, being drunk with a bunch of Norwegians. Only one night, but it was miserable.
Thanks all!
Tom

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by white bison:
Thanks to all! I have a friend who hunts in Zimbabwe...he's had his ammo headstamp checked several times..Boddington recommends headstamp correct...my friend is a bug on headstamp issues...apparently he was bothered enough to worry about. My concern was if I used a wildcat on a parent case with a diff. headstamp. Although it may seem a silly issue, officialdom being what it is..I wondered about the issue and thought this forum would be the place to ask. If any other viewers have had any problems, please chime in with your experience. I like the idea of having labels made and seal up the boxes. Officialdom will take things at face value, so would stop there.
The only time I spent in jail was when I was arrested in the Malagasy Republic, being drunk with a bunch of Norwegians. Only one night, but it was miserable.
Thanks all!
Tom

Tom , you was one night in jail due to partying with the Norwegians, but that is what we do, go abroad and party jumping animal hijack

Back to topic

I havent been to Africa, but when so much is riding on the final piece of gear that can make or breake the entire safari, proper ammo cases is a little price to pay.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Norwegian! It wasn't the Norwegian's fault...we were all in it together...a bunch of Merchant Marine Sailors in Tamatave, Malagasy Republic (formerly Madagascar), good & drunk, & happy! We
"borrowed" a fork lift truck on the waterfront to get back to our ships dock...and were arrested for borrowing it for our ride! The jail was like something from an old Bogart movie, dirt floor, spiders, vermin, rats. Open air but bars on the windows, 2 African native guards. In the morning, a Frenchman came to the jail...he had a good laugh seeing how miserable we were, after drinking all night, and not being able to sleep in that jail. Then I had to work all day on the ship in the tropical heat. I was young then & could take it. It still was fun!
Best Regards,
Tom

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
T.S.A. stands for thousands standing around....

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that this subject is a no brainer. Do you want to risk having NO ammo in Africa or do you want to go by the rules and do it right. I for one had my ammo checked for caliber in Zambia as well as Tanzinia but not in RSA or Namibia. Most of the big game rounds we shoot are hard to find anywhere in Africa. We spend countless hours in load development and for what if we can't take the stuff along. Heads or talils! Take your chances if you want. I always have proper head stamped brass.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

We have some A-Square made brass for the 577 T.Rex. And, frankly, it is just plain awful.

The only brass that I have used that could possibly be worse is Bertram brass.

This is something that we agree on 100%. Let's draw up a treaty! Cool

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Custom Barrels can say anything they want. I have a couple of barrels that aren't stamped at all, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. SO if you were using 404 brass and necking it down to .375, your barrel could say .404 and your brass would say .404, but you are really shooting a Wildcat. Just when you get back make sure no one fires a .404 in it.

I never was checked in RSA. In fact one of the guys who went over to RSA brought two SEMI AUTO's in and OUT of the country and RSA police never questioned or knew they were autos.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote