Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

one of us
posted
Inches from Las Vegas to The Omay in Zimbabwe, I was playing with Google Earth and wanted to see how far it was to go elephant hunting.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
LV,

Your not too excited about going are you!!!

This is for sure a sickness!! I love it!!! thumb

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Eric, if you look up Omay on Google Earth find the air strip in the big green Jesse belt near the Ume river arm. This is quite a interesting spot to hear elephant, I say "hear" because it's so thick there that you here them more than you see them. Also if you scroll down below the Dam you will find the first large area of Jesse wich is Manna Pools then a huge area of Jesse next to it wich is Sapi.
Many hours of fun with google Earth.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Eric, if you look up Omay on Google Earth find the air strip in the big green Jesse belt near the Ume river arm. This is quite a interesting spot to hear elephant, I say "hear" because it's so thick there that you here them more than you see them. Also if you scroll down below the Dam you will find the first large area of Jesse wich is Manna Pools then a huge area of Jesse next to it wich is Sapi.
Many hours of fun with google Earth.

I saw it plain as day in the Omay,

i have been looking for Matetsi, but cant make out anything i recongnze there.

I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I am going for the 1st time in 2006. Will I be doing stuff like this as well?
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by invader66:
I am going for the 1st time in 2006. Will I be doing stuff like this as well?
Gene

yes and it only gets worse, i dont have an addictive personality and live in Sin City-Vegas and have no desire to get sucked into the decadence that it offers 24/7, i barely drink, dont smoke. But once the Africa bug bites there is no cure it is terminal, some go and dont get bit they are the exception(perhaps lucky)-hopefully youhave the time of your life but dont get bite, otherwise you'll be changed for life and that isnt an exaggeration. I'd sell body parts to keep going back if I ran out of $$$ from my day job. And I go alot.

I missed that class.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Eric, I found Vic Falls and headed south east looking for Deka which is next to Matetsi and found the Lukozi river, there's not much to see in this area but further east Chizarira and Chirisa stand out quit a bit, found quite a few features in Chirisa that brought back good memories.
Also found the bridge into south Luangwa park Zambia and Oldonyo lengai, Mt Gelai in Tanz.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with Chizarira and Chirisa areas. I was looking at the Deka and ????(its late cant remember) there is an air strip on Unit 5 that should show up as well, the whole area dosent seem to have the resolution as the Omay does, I was lookind at Hwange Town (SP) and went west but it was just green and gray, i need the exact coordinates then there wont be any question.

My mom wore the pages of her world atlas thin over 30 year of studing it-I buryed her with it this past march, God I love for her to see this Google World program. Its tough

I missed that class.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Eric, Your mom must have been a bit like me ,enjoy looking up places almost as much as visiting them. My mother gave me a Globe that shows Rodesia and Salisbery insted of Zim "cool".
Chirisa is a great spot for Ele and if you scroll out it is a green area due south from Omay, quite vivid compared to the sarounding communal land. The Sengwa river runs through it on its way to Omay's western border.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Chirisa is a great spot for Ele and if you scroll out it is a green area due south from Omay, quite vivid compared to the sarounding communal land. The Sengwa river runs through it on its way to Omay's western border.

I remember now. I'll hunt there i'm sure probably next year.

I missed that class.