Find
Notify
Tools

2.5X scope for DG
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
For my 375 H&H I have a 4x fixed and a 2.5 x 8x variable. Is the 2.5x too much magnification for DG - buffalo? I also am looking at using the rifle for plainsgame as well.

I know most people will say a 1 x4 but will a 2.5X work effectively?

A friend of mine made a comment that he wished he had a bigger objective lens on his scoope for hunting in waning light ( He used a 1 X 4).

A larger scope would give me a larger lens.

I am trying to get by with the scopes that I have.

Greatly appreciate everyone's advice

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I think the 2.5X8 is just about perfect for the .375 regardless of the flavor (H&H, Weatherby or Ruger). I've used Leupold's almost exclusively but recently purchased one of the Zeiss Conquests in 2.5X8 and will be using it on my HCR .404 Jeff in the Omay next month... will let you know how it performs.

The .375 can be used quite comfortably out to ranges of 250 yards, for some more accomplished shots even longer. That makes the higher magnification very useful. And on DG I have not had a problem at the 2.5 setting. That could change for very close work for ellies but that is why they make irons and QD scope mounts! Iron sights are the bomb for close-up elephant hunting even though the .375 itself might be considered marginal.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of archer_375
posted Hide Post
Should work fine...Many go over there with a 3x9 for Buffalo.

Posts: 183 | Location: Where the deer and antelope play | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I used a 1.75X6 last month and when approaching buffalo in brush, the PH told me to "set your scope on 4 power." I already had it on 3 so used that. No problems.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i used a 1-4 for years, but as my eyes aged i sought more power. now i'm using a 3-9 zeiss & i think it's much better than the 1-4 ever was.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
I have a 2.5x8 leupold on a CZ550 in .375 H&H that I am going to use on Buffalo next August in Zimbabwe. I opted for a little more magnification so I could also use it on plains game.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with the 2.5x8. the 2.5 is fine for DG. What you want is to be able to keep both eyes open in a close hunting scenario. Most people find they can shoot with both eyes open up to 4x at close ranges.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Singleshot03

I've used a 375 of some type for about 25 years. I've tried 1x4, 1.5x5, 3x, 2x7, 1.75x6 and the 2.5x8. I have settled on the 2.5x8 for both my 375 H&H and 375 Weatherby. The 2.5 seems to give all the FOV necessary and I often find I turn the scope upto 6x in the open country.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I have a 2.5x8 leopold on a 375 ruger and a 2.5x15 swarovski on my 375 caprivi, if you have not already looked through it I think you will be surprised how little magnification 2.5x is. I can still see the front sight on both my rifles when the scopes are turned down to 2.5x. 2.5x gives me almost as much field of view an unmagnified dot scope I own. If I was going in the thick stuff and only had a scoped rifle, I would feel good at the 2.5x. Which brings up a good question, how about detachable rings? What is everyones experience with accuracy at longer distances after a scope has been removed and replaced using DR's? Over a period of years?

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I have a 1.5x6 on my 375 and usually leave it set on about 3x when hunting. On follow-ups I turn it all the way down but if your 2.5-8 will allow you to get a good sight picture down to about 10 yards it will be fine. BTW I believe that's the scope that Saeed has on his rifles.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to a 2.5-8 on my .375 and moving the 1.5-5 over to my new .458 Win. OTOH, I have an old Vari X II 3-9 that I might use.

On my last hunt I used the little scope at 1.5 for buff at 20 yds and the 5 on kongoni at 180. I've taken longer shots than that with the .375 under ideal conditions. If you can handle the longer ranges, 250/300 with the .375, the 8 power magnification is very useful, and the 2.5 is fine for buff, lion, etc.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
2.5X8 is the way to go. I have used that scope on my .375 to take scores of animals in Africa, including buff, croc, hippo, giraffe, rhino, and lion, etc. Perfect!

One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I use a 2.5 - 8X Leupold exclusively on all my handguns chambered appropriately for African game, DG or PG -- ie 375 H&H, 416 Rigby or bigger handgun optimized equivalents.

That said, I'd be hard-pressed to remember a single time that I used anything over 2.5X for any dangerous game except Hippo in deep water at 75 yards or farther. And, it's a rare occurence for me to use anything over 4X even for PG at long distances. I've done it a few times, for example with Vaal Rhebok or White Springbok at long distances, but even then there's no real advantage beyond some small added confidence in shot placement.

Bottom line, 2.5X will almost always be fine for anyone on DG -- distances are short and the targets relatively big.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It'll work just fine.

Optimal however - IMHO - for a .375 H&H is a lower range variable, say 1.5x to 6x, or even 1.1x or 1.25x to 4x.

I think that 4x or 6x is plenty for shots to 200-250 yards.

And the 1.1x or 1.25x is blazing fast for short range work.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13404 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 1.75-6x on my .375 and have always found it fine in both directions and for PG and DG. I personally would pick it over the 2.5-8x, but you will have no problems with that scope.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I use the following on DG rifles:

375 with Swaro 1.5 - 6
458 with Swaro 1.25 -4

Let me say that the lowest magnification settings are great when shooting at very close range. You can identify a buffalo's head, find his brain, and kill him at 10 steps during a full charge IF you have a scope that dials down to between 1 and 2 power. You get much above 2x and all you see is black.

IMHO, the 1.5 - 6 is the perfect scope for a 375.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run a 2.5-8 Zeiss Conquest on my .375 H&H and find it to be about as good of a combination as I can come up with. I've used it from 10 yards to 425 yards and it worked just fine. When I finaly get around to building something bigger either 458 Lott or 500 Jeffery it will not have a scope, but a large apeture rear and bead front.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote