THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Heart or lung shot? solid or soft?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Heart or lung shot? solid or soft?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Jean,

You are probably correct. It is possible that the brain is damaged from a heart shot, though I have never seen it in my experience. I have never had a buffalo drop in its tracks, other than when brained.

If you talk to experienced PH's they will tell you that a lung shot buffalo is not going to run off and survive. I have never experienced it, while some hunters and even the book Nyati perpetuate this myth.

Posts: 19367 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
jbderunze and Will,

I have killed many american bison with one shot to the heart. They were killed so quickly that by the time I walked up to them, a distance of no more than 50-60 feet, and touched their eye, they were dead.

No corneal reaction at all.

I was using a 375 improved with Bitterroot bullets. If you shoot a large animal like this in the heart with a bullet that expands to one inch in diameter at 3,000 fps, you will have brain death.

PH's see this so infrequently because we are all using historic cartridges at low velocity with bullets of great sectional density.

the heart shot on bison was as effective as the spine shot in their neck. It ruined more meat so I eventually switched to the spine shot.

A .300 weatherby would not kill them with one shot to the spine. A .338 or larger would. Interesting.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Scrutinizing this thread and the Magnum extract from Nickudu, I get puzzled twice.

Never is mentioned the shock induced by a hit right in the aorta, killing the game right in its track or knocking the game senseless (and ultimately killing it by bleeding to death before it recovers).
Should you hit the heart during a particular period, when the aortic valve is open, the blood is violently pushed into the aorta and the carotids and smashes the inside of the brain. A likely result is get in spining along with striking the abdominal aorta. This artery is running just underneath the spine. I saw two warthogs be spined (shot too far back and high) dying on the spot (as well as a couple of boars, roes, stags and such).

One depicts buffs shot in the lungs which survive a couple of hours or even a day. Impossible . I quote Magnum �the lungs almost completely fill the chest cavity and are kept in a fully-expanded state by the negative pressure (or vacuum) within the cavity. If the chest cavity is punctured, air will be sucked into it, causing the collapse of the lungs�.lungs get less than the half the size of their normal fully expanded state� . The game is definitely in apnoea, it will die within 5 minutes, a trifle longer for hippo and croc. No exception.
I think the described games surviving longer have just one lung hit. To be short, each lung snuggles in its own sack, the pleural membrane. Should one sack be pierced, only one lung is deflated. The sound one permits to survive, poorly or not.

I read in old Africa books authors that elephant, hippo, rhino have their lungs sticking to the pleural membranes, consequently their lungs don�t deflate. I have no proof of this queer exception and keep to be doubtful.

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Surestrike,

You simply cannot blame a solid for your admitted poor shooting...Even a soft in the gut will not kill a Buffalo and once they pump with adrenaline, they are very hard to kill, when you do find them..

Ray,

I am not blaming the solid for my poor shooting in this circumstance. I use a double, a solid in one, soft in the other.

All I was trying to say was in the forementioned circumstance that I think an expanding bullet may have given a larger wound channnel and possibly have made a difference. There was deffinatley lung blood on the ground probably got one lung? Who knows.

And of course shot placement is far more important than bullet construction. Absoloutly agreed.

Will,Saeed,Jberunz.

As far as a buff never being able to survive a lung shot. The statement is incomplete without several qualifiers. It depends on where the bullet was placed in the lungs. I agree that a high lung shot is very difficult to survive especially if it is centrally located.

However having been an EMT for a city fire department in the past I can assure you that a low lung injury and in particular a very distal low lung injury is surviveable at least in the short term, hours, even days in some circumstances. My wife is a practicing DVM and verified this information with me.

One factor in a pentrating lung injury is wether or not the blood/air has a path to escape. There are several things that cause a lung to collapse. One of which is a tension hemo/pneumo or either blood or air alone in the thorax. This condition is caused when the thoracic cavity fills with blood and or air causing positve pressure around the lungs and collapsing them.

In the field the way we try to overcome this is by relieveing the pressure. You actually stick a 14 or 12 guage needle between the ribs and let the air and blood out. It sounds like letting the air out of a tire when you first do it. In any penetrating chest wound we cover the wound with a petrolium jelly like substance that is permeated in a cotton dressing sealing the wound. When the pressure starts to build up we lift the dressing allowing the inner thoracic air to escape.

It is MY belief that you can get the same effect from a flap of skin or fat especially on a lose skinned critter like a bovine.

However not every pentrating lung wound causes a total lung collapse. Some only cause a partial lung collapse. Once again depending on the loactaion and severity of the wound. In documented cases air exchange has been possible for long periods of time with partially collaspsed lungs due to traumatic injury.

Most lung injuries will be fatal at some time it just depends on how long considering many different factors involved with the injury. To say that it is immpossible to survive a lung shot is simply not correct.

it is my OPINON however,that a lung injury caused by by a solid which generally does less traumatic damage will be more survivable then from an expanding bullet which (at least in theory causes far more tissue trauma) due to the mechanics of the expansion and hydraulic shock factors.

Just my humble $.02

Greg

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
The size of the heart is proportional to the animals live weight. This is so well documented that the US fish and wildlife uses it to determine the weight of elk, bear, bison etc.

I doubt very much if there is any difference in the dimensions of an american bisons heart and that of a similar sized cape buffalo.

Users of Bitterroot bullets in 375 and 416 have reported in their track kills for many years with high velocity bullets like the 250 grain 375 at 2950 fps and 335 grain 416 at 2,800 fps in the Rigby. The 300 grain 375 has even killed elephant from a side brain shot.

I know that is herrasy on this forumn but we have all taken it for granted since the late 1970's.

There is no such thing as a magic bullet, but there are so many good bonded soft points out there now, I think all of us could drop down a bullet weight and/or caliber for buffalo.

Just imagine what Saeed could have done if he used a good bonded bullet instead of his expanding solid in the 375 x 404?

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

My favorite shot on buffalo has always been the high lung shot.

I have killed many buffalos with it, and never had any that have been hit in both lungs go very far.

On one occasion, I shot a buffalo facing me at an angle. And as usual in situation like this one in thick bush, I could not see how he was standing.

We chased that bull for over 2 miles, eventually finishing him off. He did not seem to be too bothered with his injuries, which we found out later that he had one lung punctured from front to rear.

I find it very hard to believe that any animal with both lungs hit can survive for very long.

But, I won't go as far as saying it does not happen.

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Andy,

That may be true with bison, but not so with Cape buffalo. I think there is some caliber where there is an "overwhelming force" that can be used on any animal that will put it down with a good heart shot, or lung shot.

It is easy to kill whitetail deer instantaneously with a single heart or lung shot with a 30-06 class of caliber. At some point you could probably do the same with Cape buffalo if one was man enough to shoulder the giant weapon required.

This I believe is shown when similar shots are taken with a .375, a .416, a .458, a .505, and so on, where the bigger the caliber, the faster the kill/death.

I am not volunteering to find the super caliber that will drop a buffalo in its tracks from a heart shot!

Posts: 19367 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Kevin Robertson ("Doktari") is the main proponent of the "heart-brain stroke shot", but recently he has allowed that it might not happen as he has described it after Dr. Thomas Caceci challenged his theory. Tom says that the vascular system is designed to contain pressure and is very elastic, and will not transfer the equally infamous "hydrostatic shock" to the animal's brain.

There are a couple of things in Nyati that "rumor control central" should have squelched.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote